No announcement yet.

Black tank leaking at tank outlet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumping in here on this. About a year ago I bought a Bristol gate valve for the large shower gray tank. Was dealing with the limited space to remove and replace. Found that there is a bracket that can be loosened and spun so the tank can be slid to gain a larger space to reinstall the new valve and sealing rings a lot more easily. However, with the fitting in the neck of the tank it became quite unsealed. After talking to a mobile repair tech I have used in Kerrville, TX I bought Flex Seal in the can and a roll of Flex Seal tape. This combination sealed and has worked for at least a year.

Now comes the request for wisdom. All three of the gate valves work harder than Hades. Removing the coroplast I found a small phillips screw that joined the cable and valve on the shower tank. Reinstalling this the valve does move, but hard. I recall Rob installing grease fittings. I am hoping that someone can relate a positive experience with Thetford's liquid, or vegetable oil, or ANY solution. Thanks all!
    2020 Solitude 2930RL S-Class

Comment

steve gravelle
      Hi Steve,

My "grease fitting" gate valves continue to work well with a couple of pumps of grease a couple of times per year. Of course . . . this requires access to the gate valves (which I have with my opening doors in the coroplast). It has been suggested that tubes from the coroplast to the gate valve grease fitting could be installed . . but, I don't think anyone has done this yet.

The problem with all the variations of oils poured into the tank is that these concoctions float on top of the liquid in the tank or lay in the bottom of an empty tank . . . and you are trying to get lubrication from top to bottom of a 3" gate. Then . . . the seals wipe off whatever lubrication got on to the gate as it is pulled back into a cavity full of tank contents.

For those who may not recall what led to my installation of grease fittings on my gate valves . . . a copy is attached.

Rob

Gate Valve Lubrication.pdf
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

steve gravelle -- is the tension due to the valve or the cable? As I documented during my battle with the cables, once they are corroded there is little that can done except replace them. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...valves-315rlts for a long, exhaustive thread on the topic.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard, thanks for the question. In my work in the last couple of days, the cable for this tank moves very freely.

Comment

I have a leak at that site on my 2021 378MBS. The gray tank looks good and does not leak. The black tank (of course it's the black tank) looks very different. First the gate valve flange and the tank do not line up with the tank drain being slightly lower and the gate valve flange going in at an angle. I have not taken anything apart yet. I am wondering what the actual connection on the gate valve flange looks like. Or is there a connector piece in there? With all of the white sealant put on at the factory it is really hard to see.

Comment

Originally posted by DMcRaney View Post
              I have a leak at that site on my 2021 378MBS. The gray tank looks good and does not leak. The black tank (of course it's the black tank) looks very different. First the gate valve flange and the tank do not line up with the tank drain being slightly lower and the gate valve flange going in at an angle. I have not taken anything apart yet. I am wondering what the actual connection on the gate valve flange looks like. Or is there a connector piece in there? With all of the white sealant put on at the factory it is really hard to see.

The gate valve is typically glued to the tank. Obviously the glue did not hold. If it's possible to remove the gate valve as one piece, I'd take the opportunity to insert an additional piece that would allow for an quick and easy replacement of the entire valve assembly should it become necessary in the future. If you didn't get a chance yet, look at post 18 and the link to an extensive thread on the topic--there's a lot of pictures.

Howard

P.S. Welcome to the forum! See the Welcome Letter here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by steve gravelle View Post
                Jumping in here on this. About a year ago I bought a Bristol gate valve for the large shower gray tank. Was dealing with the limited space to remove and replace. Found that there is a bracket that can be loosened and spun so the tank can be slid to gain a larger space to reinstall the new valve and sealing rings a lot more easily. However, with the fitting in the neck of the tank it became quite unsealed. After talking to a mobile repair tech I have used in Kerrville, TX I bought Flex Seal in the can and a roll of Flex Seal tape. This combination sealed and has worked for at least a year.

Now comes the request for wisdom. All three of the gate valves work harder than Hades. Removing the coroplast I found a small phillips screw that joined the cable and valve on the shower tank. Reinstalling this the valve does move, but hard. I recall Rob installing grease fittings. I am hoping that someone can relate a positive experience with Thetford's liquid, or vegetable oil, or ANY solution. Thanks all!
                I have used this https://a.co/d/bTDvvOP it worked really good! All three of my dump valves were very sticky and tight. Three weeks ago I ran out and tried vegetable oil. My valves work effortlessly with it as well. I followed the the instructions on the Thetford product and was shocked how well it worked. For vegetable oil I use about a cup in each tank after dumping then add 3-4 gallons of water let it sit for 5 minutes or so then cycle the valve 3-4 quickly. I am probably going to continue using vegetable oil as it is easier to get and typically always have it on hand.
                Scott & Mikaela
                2022 375 RES
                2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by Jshantz View Post

@Cate&Rob
                  Yes I have cleaned up the tank outlet and the gate valve (see pics below). I think that what I need is the ABS solvent glue. Originally it was some kind of white/yellowish putty in the connection when it was leaking a year ago. I attempted to reattach with some putty last year, but with my poor understanding of how to do this (not a plumber) I tried to replicate how is was originally done. I included a picture of the gate valve flange (glued to the section that goes inside the tank). I’m not good at this, so I really appreciate your help.

Click image for larger version Name:	0FD6CF94-686F-480C-86B6-EC70A6529F46.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	124.5 KB ID:	25162

Click image for larger version Name:	5883070D-E1B4-460C-BF42-6D0859D32514.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	84.9 KB ID:	25161
                  I have the same issue with my new 375-RES and looking to fix it. When I looked at this picture, there seems to be a slot for an O-ring that would help seal this. Is there supposed to be an O-ring in this slot, or is this just a place where the plumbers putty will fill in and help to seal it? Unfortunately, my wife and I are living in this until our house is completed, but will be a January/February project to fix it. Hoping to get it drained, cleaned up and seal properly so I do not have to keep taking down the coroplast and replace the insulation again.
                  Alan & Kim Beebe
                  2022 Solitude 375-RES

Comment

abeebe69 -- that's the first tank-to-pipe connection I've seen (other than a fresh water tank drain) that wasn't glued together. Wish mine wasn't! At least with a clamp it can be serviced without too much drama.

To your specific question...sorry, but I don't know. Cate&Rob ? colan ?

Comment

abeebe69

Hi Alan & Kim . . . welcome to our owners technical forum.

When Grand Design went from Valterra to Bristol gate valves, they went from a glued connection to the tank, to a clamped connection. That groove certainly looks like it was meant for an O ring! I have no experience with Bristol gate valves, but if I were putting that together, I would put an O ring in that groove.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob has a great idea. Refer back to post #16 where I used Flex Seal products which has been a successful repair. I also wanted to use O rings, but availability was pretty much impossible. Maybe there is a source I couldn't find.

Comment

Try finding the size you need here: https://www.amazon.com/041-Viton-Rin...al&sr=1-4&th=1 then look for that size to see if cheaper prices can be found. The only other option is to make your own: https://www.amazon.com/Buna-N-Splici...20&sr=1-3&th=1

I guess a really creative person could for a silicon hump in the channel and let it dry then install.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

abeebe69

If you have a hydraulic supply/repair facility in your area, they should be able to supply an O ring. There are two parts to the spec . . . the diameter of the ring and the thickness of the ring material. Take the ABS fitting with you.

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                              abeebe69

If you have a hydraulic supply/repair facility in your area, they should be able to supply an O ring. There are two parts to the spec . . . the diameter of the ring and the thickness of the ring material. Take the ABS fitting with you.

Rob
                              The problem in selecting an O ring thickness size is how tight the fitting is in the female fitting on the tank, since you can't take the female fitting with you. When installing a little plumber's grease maight help.
                              2020 Reflection 273MK
                              2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Hi everyone and thanks for all the hints. So, to give an update, I finally finished the repair on this. It has been a long road with the new house, my mom passing away and trying to finish up stuff around the house.

To give an idea of what I found:

1. Taking this apart was a nightmare since there was hardly any room for the valve to come out. Thankfully I was able to get the valve out without damaging the seals.
                                2. After getting the valve out, I was able to get the part out from the tank. It is exactly as pictured above and it did have an o-ring in it. Thankfully, that was also not damaged taking it apart. This was also not too easy since the pipe that connects to all the other tanks, and the outlet for dumping, was very hard to move around. Almost damaged the tank outlet a little, but not too bad.
                                3. After cleaning up all the old butyl caulk (I used paint thinner, but took a while), I was able to inspect everything and it look good to go back in.
                                4. I then installed the part above as it was before and pushed it in as far as I could. It seems to be angled and it will not go in past a certain point, no matter how hard I tried.
                                5. I then tried to install the valve with the seals, no good. I then tried to install the valve, and then install the seals, no good. There was just not enough space or flexibility in the outlet pipe.
                                6. Upon further inspection, I determined if I could remove all the caulking around the pipe that goes through a frame member, I may be able to move it far enough away to get the valve and seals back together.
                                7. Once this was removed, and the bracket by the outlet loosened, I was able to install the valve with the seals in place.
                                8. Once I pushed everything together and put the four bolts in the valve, I was able to get everything connected and ready.
                                9. Now is when the fun started. I found the reason for the leak. The problem is the pipe that connects all the tanks together and routes the waste to the dump connection was pulling the part above too far out of the tank outlet. This is what was causing the leak since the o-ring is not far enough in for the clamp to give it a good seal.
                                10. How to solve this without tearing the whole thing apart....
                                11. I came up with a "redneck fix" that should provide help to others. Since everything was loose and the caulking removed, I decided to cut a piece of 2x4 and put it between the outlet pipe and the frame member. This pushed the part into the tank outlet by about an additional 1/2", which should provide a good seal for the o-ring. I rounded the 2x4 so that I get more contact on the pipe instead of just one spot.
                                12. When the part was pushed into the tank, it seems the top of the tank outlet pushed in a bit, which does not give the o-ring a good seal at the top, so I have added about 5 minutes of water to the blank tank, which should help push it back out. I am sure it will leak some, but that is not my concern at this point.

I am going to let this sit for a day or two (or more), and see how it looks. I am then going to add in a layer of butyl tape over everything and then a layer of 3m water tape. Once those are on, I will put clamps on each end where the tape sits and then fill it with some more water and let it sit to leak test it.

So, what I have learned:

1. Grand Design should do a better job with this system. Not only make it leak proof, but also making it so valves and things can be maintained. Gluing everything so tight, without flexibility, is a long term issue. Valves will fail, and things will need to be replaced. Plus, the rigors of the road can, and will, cause issues in the future.
                                2. The chloroplast should be in several pieces with a good seal between them. This will allow a person to take only a portion down and be able to clean up things in case of leaks. I have also heard horror stories of dealerships, or repair centers, who will cut a hole in the chloroplast instead of taking it down to make repairs.
                                3. Better quality control by Grand Design to ensure areas that are not easy to get to are done properly. I bought this brand new and other than the trip from the dealership to home, it has never been on the road or used in tougher conditions than my barn. Unacceptable for a new owner of a product to have to do this, but I know if I took it to a dealership, they would slap on some more butyl putty and tighten clamps and say everything is fixed. I want complete and permanent fixes, not half assed measures.
                                4. If you see the part above is more than about 1/4 - 1/2" out of the tank outlet, then things need to be taken apart and redone.
                                5. Taking the time to find the root cause, and taking things apart, especially the blank tank, is an ugly business, but worth to do it right and hopefully not have to do this again.

Well, I am off to have a well deserved beer and some dinner. I am tired of laying on my back, and not getting much pleasure from it, but at least I feel good about the job and the next few days will tell if I did a good job or not. I will post back in a few days on my progress.

Again, thanks to everyone who has offered ideas/suggestions and hopefully this will help someone else.

Alan
                                Alan & Kim Beebe
                                2022 Solitude 375-RES

Comment

Working...
                                X