Spare Water Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare Water Pump

Do y’all think it’s worth carrying an extra water pump, just in case?

thanks...
    Rick & B
    2018 F-350 6.7L SRW FX4
    2019 Reflection 337RLS, 1000w solar, 400ah batteries, Disk Brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, GY Endurance tires, Truma water heater

Originally posted by Hawgwild View Post
    Do y’all think it’s worth carrying an extra water pump, just in case?

thanks...
    No. In my relatively short experience on RV forums it is uncommon to read of a complete water pump failure. My impression is most replace their pump to upgrade the component, not due to a failure.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Having never had a total pump failure.....does anyone know if the “check valve” can be replaced without changing the entire pump?
      Recently mine stuck and overflowed the FW tank, after a few “taps” with a hammer it worked fine again!
      Keith and Diane
      2014 Reflection 337 RLS
      2017 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins Mega Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Kksfish View Post
        Having never had a total pump failure.....does anyone know if the “check valve” can be replaced without changing the entire pump?
        Recently mine stuck and overflowed the FW tank, after a few “taps” with a hammer it worked fine again!
        No experience with it, but this might help:

https://learntorv.com/water-pump-check-valve/
        Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Some pumps have replaceable check valves and some do not. Some check valves are external to the pump. Carrying spare parts comes down to how much storage space you want to allocate to this stuff and how far you will be from where you can buy spare parts. We seldom boondocks in the RV . . . so, don't carry a spare pump. On the other hand . . . on our boat, I wouldn't leave the dock without a spare pump on board .

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

When I'm boondocking, which I do frequently, I try to understand the impact of a failed part. How much impact will there be, and how long will it take to get it fixed.

A water pump failure is not a critical failure that would cause a trip to have to terminate early. If needed, you could run water into a bucket or pan via the tank drain valve and still continue to camp. With this in mind, I do not carry a spare. I can wait to get one if it goes out.

JIm
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks all. I had the propane regulator go out about 2 weeks after the Vegas Rally while in Solome, AZ. The Napa Auto Parts store actually had one that worked. I'd also recommend to keep a spare dinosaur board for the water heater. We had this fail our first trip out.
              Rick & B
              2018 F-350 6.7L SRW FX4
              2019 Reflection 337RLS, 1000w solar, 400ah batteries, Disk Brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, GY Endurance tires, Truma water heater

Comment

Working...
              X