Gray tank operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gray tank operation

Since I have a second gray tank, as many people do, and it appears to operate totally separate from and independent of the other gray and black tank that share the same “outlet”, why would leaving the kitchen gray drain open all the time (at full service camp sites) cause any problems? I do a black tank drain and flush every other day as well as empty the gray tank that shares the same “outlet” at the same time and of course I’m careful to secure those valves after every drain event. All tips / observations appreciated.
    Dave and Sue
    2020 GD 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
    Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
    GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
    SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

I leave the grey tanks open all the time at my seasonal site, and only empty the black tank when it indicates full, along with using the tank flush. Dumping the black tank before it is full does not usually allow it to flush all of the "stuff" out.
    2019 Ford F250 Lariat Diesel
    2019 Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

Originally posted by BC315RLTS View Post
      I leave the grey tanks open all the time at my seasonal site, and only empty the black tank when it indicates full, along with using the tank flush. Dumping the black tank before it is full does not usually allow it to flush all of the "stuff" out.
      Thank you for that.
      Dave and Sue
      2020 GD 2250RK
      Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post
        Since I have a second gray tank, as many people do, and it appears to operate totally separate from and independent of the other gray and black tank that share the same “outlet”, why would leaving the kitchen gray drain open all the time (at full service camp sites) cause any problems? I do a black tank drain and flush every other day as well as empty the gray tank that shares the same “outlet” at the same time and of course I’m careful to secure those valves after every drain event. All tips / observations appreciated.
        Having spent my fair share of time wrestling with these valves, I have .02 to share (and probably worth as much).

When open the "knife valve" is retracted into the valve assembly. Because of how the valve is made, water (and whatever else is in the line) can migrate into the valve body cavity. If the valve is left open, there's a constant cycle of getting dirty water in this area and then it dries. Eventually this can lead to build up on the exposed knife valve gaskets which in turn can cause leaking when the valve is closed and fluid is in the tank. (I'm basing these thoughts on direct observation and how the valves work.)

By leaving the valves closed, water and "stuff" builds up behind the knife valve (and gaskets) as designed. The contents in the tank are continually immersed in water, so there is only a small chance of a hard build up from the "stuff" in the tank other than water. When the tank is flushed, the heavier "stuff" is flushed out of the tank by the movement of all the water. Just like the black tanks, using a bit more water than normal is not a bad thing (at a full hookup site).

This routine also regularly exercises the valves (and cable) to minimize the risk of the components rusting in place. (Been there, done that.)

No doubt there will be many responses stating "left the valves open for years and never had a problem". I'm glad it works for them. It didn't for me.

For the record, I do leave one valve open when camping--the washer gray tank valve. I left it closed once and...had a mess to clean up in the camper after the DW did a few loads back-to-back. (Thankfully none of my electrical equipment under the washer were affected cause I caught it early.) Washer water goes immediately out of the camper.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Having spent my fair share of time wrestling with these valves, I have .02 to share (and probably worth as much).

When open the "knife valve" is retracted into the valve assembly. Because of how the valve is made, water (and whatever else is in the line) can migrate into the valve body cavity. If the valve is left open, there's a constant cycle of getting dirty water in this area and then it dries. Eventually this can lead to build up on the exposed knife valve gaskets which in turn can cause leaking when the valve is closed and fluid is in the tank. (I'm basing these thoughts on direct observation and how the valves work.)

By leaving the valves closed, water and "stuff" builds up behind the knife valve (and gaskets) as designed. The contents in the tank are continually immersed in water, so there is only a small chance of a hard build up from the "stuff" in the tank other than water. When the tank is flushed, the heavier "stuff" is flushed out of the tank by the movement of all the water. Just like the black tanks, using a bit more water than normal is not a bad thing (at a full hookup site).

This routine also regularly exercises the valves (and cable) to minimize the risk of the components rusting in place. (Been there, done that.)

No doubt there will be many responses stating "left the valves open for years and never had a problem". I'm glad it works for them. It didn't for me.

For the record, I do leave one valve open when camping--the washer gray tank valve. I left it closed once and...had a mess to clean up in the camper after the DW did a few loads back-to-back. (Thankfully none of my electrical equipment under the washer were affected cause I caught it early.) Washer water goes immediately out of the camper.
          Thanks Howard, appreciate the input and experience. This is a perfect example of “we don’t know what we don’t know” which is why when I’m unsure about something I’m not afraid to ask. My conclusion is to remain with the traditional practice of closing it when finished, for the reasons you’ve experienced and mentioned. Thanks again!
          Dave and Sue
          2020 GD 2250RK
          Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Schiefswret howson
            Hi Dave,

I would definitely agree with Howard on this. Gate valves are designed to be left "closed" with the gate inserted between the inner and outer seals. Left open, is an invitation for "stuff" (even in a grey tank) to settle in the groove between the seals and block proper closing of the gate. It is also important to cycle the gate valves (even in storage if you can) to keep everything moving freely. The gate can also seize between the seals in the closed position if left that way long enough, particularly in a hot climate.

Getting lubrication to the interaction between the gate and its seals is a problem. Some put oils of different types into the tank (with limited success primarily because this lubricant usually floats on top of whatever is in the tank). Howard has developed a way to inject oil into the gate cavity. I do a similar thing with a grease zerk fitting. These ideas are covered in other threads, but require access to the gate valves which usually means dropping the coroplast.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

When I get a sticky valve, I use this stuff to help lubricate the gate valve. It seems to work for me.

https://www.campingworld.com/thetfor...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                When I get a sticky valve, I use this stuff to help lubricate the gate valve. It seems to work for me.

https://www.campingworld.com/thetfor...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Jim
                Wow! I got this exact same stuff a couple hours ago, what a cowinkeedink. Ths Jim!
                Dave and Sue
                2020 GD 2250RK
                Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Working...
                X