Sulphur Water Smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sulphur Water Smell

Hope someone can help. The water from our faucets smells like sulpher, that rotten egg smell. The water coming in to the RV does not and is from a town system and is treated. We don't drink it, but brushing teeth, bathing and doing dishes is very very unpleasant. We have a SOLITUDE 375RES

Originally posted by Chuck Wright View Post
    Hope someone can help. The water from our faucets smells like sulpher, that rotten egg smell. The water coming in to the RV does not and is from a town system and is treated. We don't drink it, but brushing teeth, bathing and doing dishes is very very unpleasant. We have a SOLITUDE 375RES
    Hi Chuck. You should create your own thread.

You are describing Sulphur Water. It happens to the hot water heater.

http://kleentank.com/oh-that-smell/

Short version,
    The most common cause of smelly water is anaerobic bacteria that exist in some water and react with sulfur and the magnesium or aluminum anodes that a lot of RV water heaters feature. We’ve also seen this process on water heaters without anodes; some are made of aluminum, which is reactive and susceptible to the reaction.

Flush your hotwater heater. When it happened to me, I sanitized (I didn't know what was going on) which made the smell go away quick. (It's listed on the site I linked to as working as well).

Most sites on the internet talk about doing a modified sanitize with vinegar, but also talk about trying to contain it only to the water heater. (Removing the pressure relief valve, and filling it with a solution of water/vineger thru that, then draining thru the anode.

Personally, it's just easier to sanitize the system. It's well understood (by me) and it can't hurt to have a clean water system.

For prevention, don't use a water softener, and don't let the water sit in the hotwater heater. Sitting for 2 weeks is usually given as a reason.

**Edit** when I say sanitize, I mean the full on, add 1/4 cup of bleach per 15 gallons of water, and let the system sit for 12 hours**
    Mike
    2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

I have moved your question to its own thread.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

New video from Changing Lanes explains the sanitization process in great detail:

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
        X