Awful smell from kitchen island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awful smell from kitchen island

Hi All! We own a 2018 Reflection 315RLTS. We were noticing an odor coming from the kitchen area, and finally narrowed it down to the kitchen island area. We began to notice it more and more after dumping. After some research and reading, we have possibly narrowed it down to the automatic air vent thing under the kitchen sink. As a way of trying to troubleshoot, we placed a zip lock baggie, secured with a rubber band, over it yesterday. So far today, no smell of any kind coming from the island or from below the sink. So, we are now somewhat sure that the AAV thing is bad? Or clogged? We have read that they can go bad.

So... is the AAV something that has to be ordered from GD? I found this one in the GD parts: https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/22141 Would this be the correct one? Or is there one that we can buy from a Lowe's, or Home Depot, etc? And, we're wondering... can we leave the baggie over it until we get a replacement? And last.... is this vent thing easy to replace?

Appreciate any help or guidance!!

Thanks,
    Lynette

Lynette and Stephen Burgert
    2018 Reflection TT 315RLTS
    2001 Ford Excursion 7.3L Diesel 4WD
    Full-Timers since April 2019

Most aav's just screw on and can be replaced easily. Any aav of the same size will work. The better brands are Oatey or Studer. A quick google search will find them.Both might be available at the do it yourself stores or on line. I would purchase the Oatey and be done with it if it ill fit. Sometimes you have to go back with the cheap black one or modify the plumbing a bit. Good luck!
    Chip
    2021 Reflection 260RD
    2015 Ram 3500 cummins, dually, AISN tranny

Comment

Thank You falconhunter!!
      Lynette and Stephen Burgert
      2018 Reflection TT 315RLTS
      2001 Ford Excursion 7.3L Diesel 4WD
      Full-Timers since April 2019

Comment

theburgerts Lynette - attached pictures of the Studor referenced in post #2 many of us have used to replace the cheap factory ones. The black one of the left was the original used by GDRV at build. The middle black one was a cheap replacement that we used and did not even last a season. We replaced our two in 2016 (Amazon) and all GTG since.

Jim TucsonJimsuggested the Studor in a post back in 2016. That post became a valued lenghty thread over the years most recently referenced this week once again !

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160825_144611.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	26474Click image for larger version

Name:	20160825_145801.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	26475

Dan
        Dan & Carol
        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Thank you for posting this information! I will try the baggy thing until I get a replacement cap. Glad we’re not the only ones with this bad toxic sulfur smell. Started rather suddenly like rotting onions and cruciferous veggies. Yuk!

Comment

PBronk When you get in there to put the bag over it, check to see if it's tight. Several people including myself have found them about to fall out. If it's that loose, remove it and inspect to see if by chance something is lodged in the valve. Dirt and dust collect in the most inconvenient places.

If you are on the road, most big box stores like HD and LOWES carry those valves. If out, and one is near you might drop by one to pick up one or two (depending on the unit there could be more than one). I suggest using the HD website to help speed up the process of finding it on the shelf b/c it looks almost nothing like what you think. Refer to the left most picture in post 4.

link for the valve at HD, add your location and see where it is in the store. https://www.homedepot.com/p/STUDOR-R...0353/203111264
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Recently had to replace mine and went with the Studor Redi-Vent which was at Home Depot locally because of the narrow vertical shape which fit better behind the sink.
              Made the mistake of purchasing a glue on adapter as my eyes with a small flashlight didn't see the adapter was already there so all that was needed was to unscrew the old one and screw the new one in.
              $27 + tax here in WA and took longer to find the part at HD than to actually do the work. I did remove the door as I'm a bigger guy and didn't think the door would hold up to my leaning on it.
              Hopefully this helps?
              Chris
              2019 Solitude 3740BH
              2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

Working...
              X