Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Tank not emptying completely on my 2150rb (year 2020)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Tank not emptying completely on my 2150rb (year 2020)

My wife and I have a new 2020 Imagine 2150rb. We took delivery on May 1, 2020 and have taken it out 5-6 times now. On all trips we've emptied our tanks at the site -- 1) black tank until dribbling, closed gate valve fill using black tank flush until clear. 2) bathroom gray tank. 3) kitchen gray tank. We've followed this process each time. The third time out, after we drained all the tanks and water source shut off to the rig, my wife decided to the shine a flashlight into the toilet and saw water still in the tank with *stuff* floating. Seeing this I decided to connect the water source back to the rig, ran the black flush again and again, ran hot water into the toilet....still the same.

I use the clear 90 degree connector to sewer pipe at the camp sites, and have recently added a clear extension at the rig's drain connector. In fact, we just returned from camping in Gulf State Park Alabama and the same scenario. This time we had the Camco Rhino Blaster to spray water into the dump connector...we did this immediately after set up -- I pulled the black tank to let it drain, once it was down to a trickle I blasted it with water and had "extra" come out. I repeated this process 4-5 times until the water continued to come out clear. Thinking I had the problem resolved I went in to check down the toilet...still the same. Any ideas how this could be happening?

Any diagrams on how these things get plumbed in factory? Am I wrong in thinking that the black tank should be near empty when the clear extension shows it's down to a trickle?
    I have double-checked the rig to be "level" -- i.e. the A/C drains to the driver's side gutter and off the back. I'll attach a pic of the "empty" black tank, if you'd like to see. My estimate says there is more than an inch of water still visible in the black tank when looking into the toilet...with remnants.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    V/r,
    Charlie
    Last edited by Bones1078; 08-17-2020, 06:38 AM. Reason: Added tags.
    Charlie, Allie and Clyde (5 y/o Black Lab)
    2020 Imagine 2150rb and
    2020 Ford F250 w/ 7.3L (Godzila) Engine
    --- Previous ---
    2016 GMC Canyon with K&N Cold Air Intake, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Diablo Sport Octane 87 tune, and Roadmaster Active Suspension

Welcome Charlie. Glad you joined us.

I'm looking at your drawings for the drain, waste, and ventilation plan. Unfortunately, the drawings don't give exact details on the slope of the drains.

My guess is that there is a "slope" issue with draining your black tank. The next time you try to drain it, I'd force the issue. Your black tank is at the very back of the coach which makes sense since it's a rear bath. This means that the sewage has to come out towards the driver's side of the coach, then run forward to the discharge pipe. I'd pull the trailer up onto a couple of 2x8's to elevate the passenger side. Then I'd lower the front of the trailer. If this allows the tank and drain pipes to completely drain, you'll know it's a drain slope issue, and not a blockage in the discharge pipes.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Welcome to the forum Charlie

In my experience (and from YouTube videos I've watched), the Camco Rhino Blaster is great at unblocking a plugged black tank if used in conjunction with a gate valve downstream. But, it doesn't help to flush the tank if used by itself.

<<"...black tank until dribbling, closed gate valve fill using black tank flush until clear">>
      Are you saying you drain the black tank then close the gate valve and fill the black tank using the black tank flush then drain again?

Here is what most people recommend to drain the black tank:
      1- Drain tank. If possible, don't drain the tank until it's full or nearly full.
      2- Close valve
      3- Add 10-20 gallons of water using the black tank flush (this device can help you monitor how much water you've added)
      4- Shut black tank flush off
      5- Drain the tank
      6- Repeat until water is clear

The key during flushing is you have to close the valve and add a lot of water prior to opening the valve. The more water you have in the tank before opening the valve, the more stuff you will get flushed out.

Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Bones1078
        Hi Charlie,
        Welcome to our owners technical forum.

What you have discovered about the holding tank(s) not draining completely is a very normal condition (that most owners don't realize). I discovered this same thing when replacing a vent pipe in a grey tank that allowed me to look straight down into the tank during the process. Many (most?) owners do not realize this when they think they have "completely" drained their tanks during winterizing.

The gate valves are attached to the ends/sides of the tank. The tank flange and the gate slide mechanism mean that the lowest point of the tank drain is higher than the floor of the tank. See the attached picture as a reference.

You can overcome some of this by tilting the entire RV in the direction that assists tank drainage as TucsonJim describes . . . but, this would be a tedious process to go through every time. When I replaced my gate valves, I did go through the tilting process to get the tanks as empty as possible and got several more gallons out of each.

Rob

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2683.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.4 KB ID:	27303
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks to all for the prompt responses! TucsonJim thanks for the idea. I'd considered doing this but hadn't realized I'd need to tilt the RV forward. Thanks! I'll give this a try next time out just to ensure no blockage. Also, Cate&Rob thanks for verifying that it's common.
          I've wondered if I might have an air lock situation by not adding "enough" water bertschb -- I don't even know if that's possible with this kind of setup.
          Thanks again!!
          2020 Imagine 2150rb and
          --- Previous ---
          2016 GMC Canyon with K&N Cold Air Intake, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Diablo Sport Octane 87 tune, and Roadmaster Active Suspension

Comment

TucsonJim are the drawings available for me to look at? Also, if angling the RV as suggested clears the tank should I schedule a maintenance visit to have it corrected -- is this something that should be corrected? Or, is it normal as Cate&Rob pointed out?
            2020 Imagine 2150rb and
            --- Previous ---

Comment

An update, after several outings -- we've only had luck with the Camco Swivel Wand. Using the wand got everything out but an inch (or so) of water. We switched to using "Happy Campers" holding tank powder to liquify everything. We've gone out a couple of times now, still experimenting, but think we're getting better. We've resorted to running the black flush for 7 mins instead of 3 mins -- I'll be getting a water flow meter to better gauge how many gallons I'm putting in the tank -- and this is leading to better dumps and cleaner black tank.

We tried the tilt and angle option, but to no avail.
              2020 Imagine 2150rb and
              --- Previous ---

Comment

Originally posted by Bones1078 View Post
                I'll be getting a water flow meter to better gauge how many gallons I'm putting in the tank
                A volume meter is a really inexpensive and valuable tool to understand how you are managing the black tank. Volume measured by “time” is very dependant on supply pressure/volume . . . different at every campground. These meters are available in the lawn watering section of any Home Depot or similar store.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

A volume meter is a really inexpensive and valuable tool to understand how you are managing the black tank. Volume measured by “time” is very dependant on supply pressure/volume . . . different at every campground. These meters are available in the lawn watering section of any Home Depot or similar store.

Rob
                  Thanks for the heads up. I would've just ordered online, assuming local store wouldn't carry. HA

Also, for anyone using the Swivel Stik with the flexible hose, be mindful of the water pressure at the campground. I didn't think to use a pressure regulator and thankful that I caught it during its first use -- the flex hose was bulging with the valve wide open. Fortunately, I didn't have any problem! Aside from that, the Swivel Stik is a great tool!
                  2020 Imagine 2150rb and
                  --- Previous ---

Comment

Working...
                  X