Traveling with water onboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling with water onboard

Our first outing I added about 7-8 gallons to the black tank to use on the road if necessary. I didn't realize I was also traveling with a lot of fresh water, likely from the dealer walkthrough. They shouldn't have let me leave loaded but that is another story. My question would be if I have a little water in the black tank shouldn't I have a little water in the fresh tank as well for toilet operation? I would need to run the water pump as well I would think. Thanks for any advice.
    Bill & Cindy
    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
    SE Texas

Yes and yes , I think.

When after dumping the tanks I always add a little water , 10 gallons in the black and 5 or so in the gray. When we travel we usually have about 20 gallons of fresh , unless dry camping then the fresh is full. Having fresh water while traveling allows to use your bathroom when needed at any time just turn on pump , remember to turn off pump as well. Keeping a little water in the black and gray tanks keeps things from getting too solid and allows for sloshing while towing and helps to keep clean.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks, Brian. Glad I was processing this correctly.
      Bill & Cindy
      2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
      SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
        Our first outing I added about 7-8 gallons to the black tank to use on the road if necessary. I didn't realize I was also traveling with a lot of fresh water, likely from the dealer walkthrough. They shouldn't have let me leave loaded but that is another story. My question would be if I have a little water in the black tank shouldn't I have a little water in the fresh tank as well for toilet operation? I would need to run the water pump as well I would think. Thanks for any advice.
        Just to reinforce Brian's point there shouldn't be any problem with towing the trailer with a full tank of fresh water. Dry-campers do it all the time.

Sometimes when leaving a dry-camping site it's necessary to travel with pretty-full black and gray tanks too (though the fresh tank is usually either used-up or dumped at that point).

As long as you're aware that the water loads add a lot of weight to the trailer, and you plan your loading and your driving accordingly it should not be a problem.

Also be aware that the fresh tank on many models is behind the axles so a full tank doesn't add the 600-800 pounds of added weight to to the pin weight. The black and gray tanks on the other hand are usually in front of the axles and will add to pin weight when full.
        Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Mark, thanks for your input. We have a rear bath so the tanks are back there. There is a second gray tank in front by I believe that is for he kitchen. Fresh water appears to be over the axles based on where the dump valve is. This is a Transcend Xplor 221RB. I really don't see us doing any dry camping due to our ages but you never know.
          Bill & Cindy
          2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
          SE Texas

Comment

FWIW: We rarely if ever travel with water in the fresh tank as we typically go from full service campsite to campsite. If we need to pull over to use the restroom or need water for any other misc reason, we always carry a case of bottled water in the RV. We travel with about 4 gallons in the black (1) and gray (2) tanks to minimize weight.
            Dave and Sue
            2020 GD 2250RK
            2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
            Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
            GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
            SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post

FWIW: We rarely if ever travel with water in the fresh tank as we typically go from full service campsite to campsite. If we need to pull over to use the restroom or need water for any other misc reason, we always carry a case of bottled water in the RV. We travel with about 4 gallons in the black (1) and gray (2) tanks to minimize weight.
              Don't you need fresh water for flushing the toilet?
              Bill & Cindy
              2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
              SE Texas

Comment

My routine is similar to Brian's ( Country Campers ). I know from many days of traveling that ~6 gallons is enough in the fresh water tank to allow for potty flushing and washing hands. The black tank also gets 5 gallons of water left in it after dumping/flushing.

How can I be so precise? I use a water meter. These things are great--let's you determine the amount put in tanks. https://www.amazon.com/Save-a-Drop-P.../dp/B0058EOC5M

As with most plumbing-related things, I'm fairly certain the first time I heard about these meters was a post by Cate&Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	meter.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	28341
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Bottled water works good. Pour in toilet, flush toilet. Pour in more for next customer.
                  Dave and Sue
                  2020 GD 2250RK
                  2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
                  Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
                  GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
                  SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

My routine is similar to Brian's ( Country Campers ). I know from many days of traveling that ~6 gallons is enough in the fresh water tank to allow for potty flushing and washing hands. The black tank also gets 5 gallons of water left in it after dumping/flushing.

How can I be so precise? I use a water meter. These things are great--let's you determine the amount put in tanks. https://www.amazon.com/Save-a-Drop-P.../dp/B0058EOC5M

As with most plumbing-related things, I'm fairly certain the first time I heard about these meters was a post by Cate&Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	meter.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	28341
                    Thanks, I had wondered if there was such a gadget.
                    Bill & Cindy
                    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                    SE Texas

Comment

Working...
                    X