Hot Water Heater in Bypass - New Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Water Heater in Bypass - New Trailer

I am getting over being terribly angry (a martini will have that effect). We just bought our 32BHS and shame on us for not checking the hot water temperature was above 130 degrees. However, the 200 and something point check should have caught this. Thank goodness I am married to a mechanical genius. After a couple of hours of troubleshooting the no hot water she stated that I should check to see if the HW heater was in bypass or winterize (in-out shut, bypass open). It was.

Moral of the story, don’t trust anyone...check it yourself. I’m going to inform the service department just so they know why I’m being such an A-hole going forward.
    2016 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LTZ LB, 2020 Transcend 32BHS, Gainesville FL

These RV's/TT's come from the factory winterized. As you stated above, you should have checked to make sure hot water came out of all the faucets during your PDI. You should have also found and checked the water heater bypass location and operation. If you didn't check for hot water how did you know the water heater was even working when you took delivery.

Last edited by ckreef; 09-02-2020, 04:09 PM.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    Andersen Hitch
    2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

I think if you are going to get so upset over such a simple issue you had better get some strong blood pressure medicine LOL.
      John & Cindy
      2019 303 RLS
      2018 F250

Comment

Originally posted by subsurfcpo View Post
        I am getting over being terribly angry (a martini will have that effect). We just bought our 32BHS and shame on us for not checking the hot water temperature was above 130 degrees. However, the 200 and something point check should have caught this. Thank goodness I am married to a mechanical genius. After a couple of hours of troubleshooting the no hot water she stated that I should check to see if the HW heater was in bypass or winterize (in-out shut, bypass open). It was. Moral of the story, don’t trust anyone...check it yourself. I’m going to inform the service department just so they know why I’m being such an A-hole going forward.
        I got the humor in your post... thank goodness some of us had the good luck to marry people smarter than we are.

I'm afraid I'm writing with a serious warning though. If you had your *electric* water heater switch turned on when there was no water in the tank, it's almost amazing that it's still working. I understand that they've done things to make the electric heating coils more tolerant of that, but once upon a time that would blow the coil very quickly.

The coils are not hugely expensive and not hard to replace. If I was in your shoes I'd consider buying a spare in case your forgetfulness has shortened the life of your heating coil.

And keep on taking your genius with you wherever you go!
        Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by subsurfcpo View Post
          I am getting over being terribly angry (a martini will have that effect). We just bought our 32BHS and shame on us for not checking the hot water temperature was above 130 degrees. However, the 200 and something point check should have caught this. Thank goodness I am married to a mechanical genius. After a couple of hours of troubleshooting the no hot water she stated that I should check to see if the HW heater was in bypass or winterize (in-out shut, bypass open). It was.

Moral of the story, don’t trust anyone...check it yourself. I’m going to inform the service department just so they know why I’m being such an A-hole going forward.
          Hang in there Chief. These silly villians don’t operate like we do but “when in France......” you know how it goes. Fair Winds, Following Seas. ⚓️🇺🇸
          SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret.) CVN-69
          Dave and Sue
          2020 GD 2250RK
          2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
          Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
          GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
          SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post

Hang in there Chief. These silly villians don’t operate like we do but “when in France......” you know how it goes. Fair Winds, Following Seas. ⚓️🇺🇸
            SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret.) CVN-69
            Only another sailor would get it and a skimmer no less. Did time on a carrier after my sublife was over picked up SW there so...makes me a skimmer, too.
            2016 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LTZ LB, 2020 Transcend 32BHS, Gainesville FL

Comment

Working...
            X