Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winterizing Our Rigs

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Last winter was the first year with my Reflection and the Nautilus system. I live in East Texas where winters are mild but we do get occasional freezing temps.
    For the first time in 40 years of owning trailers I used anti-freeze. I've previously just drained and blew out the lines and never had an issue, even in years when we had days of below freezing temps. Also never lost a pump. Even my local dealer says they only blow out the lines on trailers setting on the lot.

    With that said, my fear is the Nautilus system and trying to get the water completely out of all the connecting lines. I hear folks mentioning water standing in low points of the PEX tubing, but as long as there is room for the water to expand, along with the PEX being a little more forgiving, I still question MY need to use anti-freeze.

    I guess with the price of anti-freeze I'll use it until I find out differently.
    2020 Reflection 273MK
    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

    Comment


    • #32
      2019 Reflection 303 RLS. Looking for winterizing advice. We're in southern Utah, where its pretty warm, but can dip down to freezing. I've got a winterizing appt at the dealer on 1 Dec, but want to take appropriate steps now. And maybe won't need the appointment. Opening the low-point drains now, and then will drain the water heater. I can also plug into power so can keep heat running at low temp (should I do that?). So some initial questions:
      - I have a gallon of pink antifreeze stuff, that I could put into the system. I remember doing that last year in Nov (we were static for a month). Should I do that if I keep the winterizing appt? If so, do I just pour it into the sink? Can't remember what we did last year.
      - Gonna try to flush out the water tank (never done it), but do we leave it empty after its flushed?
      - Anyone know a good video that shows winterizing a 303?
      - Is there another thread I should review on the forum?
      2019 Reflection 303RLS

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Ajax Trueblood View Post
        2019 Reflection 303 RLS. Looking for winterizing advice. We're in southern Utah, where its pretty warm, but can dip down to freezing. I've got a winterizing appt at the dealer on 1 Dec, but want to take appropriate steps now. And maybe won't need the appointment. Opening the low-point drains now, and then will drain the water heater. I can also plug into power so can keep heat running at low temp (should I do that?). So some initial questions:
        - I have a gallon of pink antifreeze stuff, that I could put into the system. I remember doing that last year in Nov (we were static for a month). Should I do that if I keep the winterizing appt? If so, do I just pour it into the sink? Can't remember what we did last year.
        - Gonna try to flush out the water tank (never done it), but do we leave it empty after its flushed?
        - Anyone know a good video that shows winterizing a 303?
        - Is there another thread I should review on the forum?
        Ajax. take a look at the video I linked in the second posting on this thread. It will tell you how to winterize your 303.

        Jim
        GDRV Forum Moderator
        GDRV SW USA Rally Support Coordinator

        Jim and Ginnie
        2017 Reflection 297RSTS

        Comment


        • #34
          Thanks Jim. Follow-on question... the vid shows a water filter, but my Reflection 303 doesn't have one in that location. We've just always used one we put on the intake hose. Do I have one integrated in somewhere?
          2019 Reflection 303RLS

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Calbar View Post

            ... I also purge the black tank flush with antifreeze as well...

            Rob
            How do you get antifreeze into the black tank flush?
            Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

            First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
            Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
            2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
            Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
            Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Ajax Trueblood View Post
              Thanks Jim. Follow-on question... the vid shows a water filter, but my Reflection 303 doesn't have one in that location. We've just always used one we put on the intake hose. Do I have one integrated in somewhere?
              There is no (OE) water filter on a Reflection, other than the screen on water pump intake.

              Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Tom in PGH View Post

                How do you get antifreeze into the black tank flush?
                There are manual pumps for putting antifreeze into the black tank flush. I use the outside (shower hose) connection which I have reconfigured to attach to a spray nozzle or the black tank flush.

                (another) Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

                  There are manual pumps for putting antifreeze into the black tank flush. I use the outside (shower hose) connection which I have reconfigured to attach to a spray nozzle or the black tank flush.

                  (another) Rob
                  Interesting enough I found the stock spray nozzle on the shower hose had the same male end as a garden hose.

                  Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS Oct.2017 build date, EMS-HW50C , Lippert Remote
                  2015 Chevy 3500HD CC LB Duramax , Reese Elite 18K

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Tom in PGH View Post

                    How do you get antifreeze into the black tank flush?
                    I don't know the methodology of how Calbar does it, but two that comes to mind are 1) using a backflow preventer, once everything else has anti-freeze, use the outside shower hose to induce antifreeze while still drawing from the jug, or using some type of attachment (think lawn chemical sprayer or car wash sprayer) to induce antifreeze into the hose. Leave the back flow preventer on to hold antifreeze in the hose going in. My overall thought is that with the vacuum breaker at the high point of the hose that both sides should drain once the hose is detached, thus nothing to protect against.
                    Being somewhat risk aversive, my first spring (we bought in late February, first trip first week in March) I had read the freezing horror stories, thus when it got below 30 I got extremely concerned even though it was plugged up with the furnace on low. After much more research and becoming much more familiar with my build I was well more prepared for my 2nd winter. Even with 140 consecutive hours below freezing and three mornings of temps between -1 and 6 above, the only antifreeze was in the waste tanks to protect the valve as there was no alternative to protect them. I'm just glad that we could keep ours at home and plugged to 30 Amp power (now 50 w/ the Solitude) and hooked up to the large LP tank. Being full timer in it makes it way, way much easier.
                    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, and the new baby kitty Rosie..
                    Pilot (Zebulon), NC
                    2020 Solitude 390RK-R

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
                      My overall thought is that with the vacuum breaker at the high point of the hose that both sides should drain once the hose is detached, thus nothing to protect against.
                      This is correct in theory, and was the reason that I did not bother with antifreeze in the black flush line, in the early years. Once I opened up the underbelly, I realized that the flush line to the tank goes under and around several things on it's way there, so that it is not a consistent downhill run to the black tank. The thing that saves us, is that the flush line is the soft hose material which can tolerate freezing expansion . . . still better to put in some antifreeze (in my opinion).

                      Rob

                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Tom in PGH View Post

                        How do you get antifreeze into the black tank flush?
                        I use the outside shower and connect the blue coil hose to the black tank flush. Probably not the best idea since I could contaminate my water lines but I do sanitize the fresh water lines in the spring after I flush the antifreeze out. Maybe I should get a small antifreeze hand pump something like this and using it just to ensure safety though.
                        https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Antifre...5282479&sr=8-3

                        Rob
                        Rob & Barb
                        2019 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                        2022 Solitude 378MBS

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Calbar View Post

                          I use the outside shower and connect the blue coil hose to the black tank flush. Probably not the best idea since I could contaminate my water lines
                          Unless you have attached a contaminated hose (public dump station or similar) to your black tank flush, there is no way that a potable water hose will become contaminated by flushing the black tank, as long as you disconnect the hose when you are finished flushing and let the clean water drain back out in both directions from the vacuum break. This is the function of the vacuum break valve. The idea that the black tank flush connection is somehow contaminated by flushing the black tank is like saying you won't brush your teeth at the bathroom sink because the cold water line also flushes the toilet.

                          (another) Rob

                          Cate & Rob
                          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel)
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

                            Unless you have attached a contaminated hose (public dump station or similar) to your black tank flush, there is no way that a potable water hose will become contaminated by flushing the black tank, as long as you disconnect the hose when you are finished flushing and let the clean water drain back out in both directions from the vacuum break. This is the function of the vacuum break valve. The idea that the black tank flush connection is somehow contaminated by flushing the black tank is like saying you won't brush your teeth at the bathroom sink because the cold water line also flushes the toilet.

                            (another) Rob
                            Thanks Rob,

                            Makes sense to me as well. Considering that I never connect anything to the black tank connection besides my own hose (not drinking water though I guess I could) and that I sanitize the fresh water system every spring no sense in buying a hand pump. I will keep winterizing as I have.

                            Rob
                            Rob & Barb
                            2019 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                            2022 Solitude 378MBS

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Calbar
                              Hi Rob,

                              I have long been a proponent of only use one hose between the campground supply and the trailer. There are several scenarios that can go wrong if a second hose is left attached to the black tank flush. I have elaborated on these in previous discussions. With one hose, it is either feeding the potable water system or flushing the black tank. No way to make a mistake.

                              I can’t count the number of times that I have seen two hoses connected to a trailer (one potable and one flush) and these T together at the post (as if physical distance from the trailer is some sort of safety measure). Then . . . they leave for the day and turn off the water at the post. Their black tank is now the only source of water for the potable system, through the T at the post. Luckily, the vacuum break can usually prevent this, but if it could not drain properly because the hose was left attached, there is risk.

                              A hose should never be connected to the black tank flush unless the tank is actively being flushed and the owner is watching over this. (In my opinion)

                              Rob

                              Cate & Rob
                              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel)
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                                Calbar
                                Hi Rob,

                                I have long been a proponent of only use one hose between the campground supply and the trailer. There are several scenarios that can go wrong if a second hose is left attached to the black tank flush. I have elaborated on these in previous discussions. With one hose, it is either feeding the potable water system or flushing the black tank. No way to make a mistake.

                                I can’t count the number of times that I have seen two hoses connected to a trailer (one potable and one flush) and these T together at the post (as if physical distance from the trailer is some sort of safety measure). Then . . . they leave for the day and turn off the water at the post. Their black tank is now the only source of water for the potable system, through the T at the post. Luckily, the vacuum break can usually prevent this, but if it could not drain properly because the hose was left attached, there is risk.

                                A hose should never be connected to the black tank flush unless the tank is actively being flushed and the owner is watching over this. (In my opinion)

                                Rob
                                Agreed. I only connect to the black tank when I flush. Never every leave the hose connected there.

                                Rob
                                Rob & Barb
                                2019 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                                2022 Solitude 378MBS

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X