This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Catch this with a container so that it does not dilute the antifreeze going into the drain traps and tanks. A “completely drained” grey or black tank will still have about 1/2” of water in the bottom. The more antifreeze you can put into these tanks to mix with this water, the better.
    Interesting. When winterizing I keep all the tank drains open and don't really care about the remaining water freezing. I get some AF in the tanks from winterizing the traps, but, I can't see the problem with any water left in the tanks freezing? A couple litres of water to freeze in a 160 litre tank? No harm in getting lots of AF in there but, not sure anything is being accomplished.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

• Guest Jim, I used the sharkbite style ball valves on my low point drains and added https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to the ends to keep the critters out (because where I come from mud dobbers like to use the pipes for nest).
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

• Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
        Guest Jim, I used the sharkbite style ball valves on my low point drains and added https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to the ends to keep the critters out (because where I come from mud dobbers like to use the pipes for nest).
        Joseph,

I could have gone this route too where its a good solution. Maybe I like redundancy too much but I felt the overseas valves needed a backup with the caps since I will not have spares. Now the question...are the valves lead free? I'll write them through Amazon.

A fast confirmation:
        • Made with Lead Free DZR Forged Brass

Jim
        Last edited by Guest; 10-18-2022, 02:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Joseph,

I could have gone this route too where its a good solution. Maybe I like redundancy too much but I felt the overseas valves needed a backup with the caps since I will not have spares. Now the question...are the valves lead free? I'll write them through Amazon.

A fast confirmation:
          • Made with Lead Free DZR Forged Brass

Jim
          Jim,

I went with the https://www.homedepot.com/p/SHARKBIT...16A2/312445563 as they were readily available and easy to connect.
          Joseph
          Tow
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
            Interesting. When winterizing I keep all the tank drains open and don't really care about the remaining water freezing. I get some AF in the tanks from winterizing the traps, but, I can't see the problem with any water left in the tanks freezing? A couple litres of water to freeze in a 160 litre tank? No harm in getting lots of AF in there but, not sure anything is being accomplished.
            One issue I can see if water is left in a holding tank is that the water will be up against the valve. If water would seep into the valve sliding part it may freeze and break or damage the slide. Before I had indoor storage I used to leave all the holding tank valves open after the last trip in hopes that the tanks and valves would dry out and I would not have any icing issues. I did not have any issues so whether it worked or not is debatable.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

• Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post

Jim,

I went with the https://www.homedepot.com/p/SHARKBIT...16A2/312445563 as they were readily available and easy to connect.
              Joseph,

Those look good. HD is 25 miles from the area where we live so Amazon sends stuff to me regularly.

Here is what I purchased.

https://www.amazon.com/Brass-Valve-W...A3TAFKYWOEOVSN

Jim

Comment

• Jim, Understand completely. I actually ordered both the 3/4 and 1/2 form HD and had them delivered to the house as they do not stock them at the local store. Amazon is one of man's best friends when it comes to needing parts.
                Joseph
                Tow
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

• Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

One issue I can see if water is left in a holding tank is that the water will be up against the valve. If water would seep into the valve sliding part it may freeze and break or damage the slide.
                  I must admit when I first started going the air only route, this, along with the water pump was my main concern. But since '98 I have not had a broken valve or pump come springtime yet. My theory is the valves seals whatever is in the tank so if it was leaking by, I'd notice when dumping prior to winterizing. And if it's not leaking by....no worries.

I did have a black tank valve fail on me in the middle of camping season one year on our 21' Jayco 5th wheel. Ya 21'!
                  Was it 'compromised' earlier from freezing? Maybe...hard to call. That was a fun job to replace.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                  Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

I have the 1/2" PEX ball valves here so I will cut the low point cap fittings off and will use a PEX tool to install the valves. Then for additional insurance a 2 inch PEX line off each valve with a sharkbite cap. The low point drain caps are beginning to fail to seal so its time to eliminate them. This will make future winterizations dry and easy.

Dan, I use air on the black tank flush which would push out any water.

Jim
                    Jim - I have not used air in any manner on this or our last camper. I did so with our prior 3 mini-homes. I think this was because everyone used air back in the day (many still today, of course) or maybe the RV antifreeze was not invented yet. Or maybe it was we were too cheap to spend spare change then on this.......we needed beer money lol !

Jim - hope you are doing well. We'll have to catch up in the coming weeks. Carol had her other knee replaced yesterday.....I am playing nurse (to a real 4 + decade nurse like your wife) as you know.

Dan
                    Dan & Carol
                    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

• Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

Jim - I have not used air in any manner on this or our last camper. I did so with our prior 3 mini-homes. I think this was because everyone used air back in the day (many still today, of course) or maybe the RV antifreeze was not invented yet. Or maybe it was we were too cheap to spend spare change then on this.......we needed beer money lol !

Jim - hope you are doing well. We'll have to catch up in the coming weeks. Carol had her other knee replaced yesterday.....I am playing nurse (to a real 4 + decade nurse like your wife) as you know.

Dan
                      Dan,

The black tank flush should drain down on both sides but the moderators have warned this may not always happen so I began to blow out the line. You could use the pink stuff if its somehow forced to flow above the air gap (cannot remember the name of that valve right now) so the black tank side gets pickled. I'm tired from traveling to help my 90 year old parents today. I'm there each week to help them in whatever they may need. This keeps us from snowbirding but I do not mind where this is the priority right now in our lives. We are planning a trip to PA tomorrow for a few days to see the colors. So we still get out from time to time.

Money for beer when we were young was critical too. LOL Remember 3.2 beer?

The folks I know that has had knee replacements are like new people. Amazing what they can do these days. Tell Carol I wish her a speedy recovery.

Jim
                      Last edited by Guest; 10-19-2022, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Dan,

SNIP

Money for beer when we were young was critical too. LOL Remember 3.2 beer?

SNIP

Jim
                        Minnesota STILL has 3.2, might be the only state to still have this dinosaur...
                        Ottertail, Minnesota
                        2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
                        2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

The black tank flush should drain down on both sides but the moderators have warned this may not always happen
                          The vacuum break drains in both directions . . . but the tank side may not be a downward slope all the way to the tank. On my Reflection, this line ducks under a crossmember on its way to the higher tank attachment. Folks get away with not winterizing this line because it is soft hose and can survive water freezing inside. I use a short hose between the outside shower connection and the black tank connection to flush antifreeze through this line.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexPeterson View Post

Minnesota STILL has 3.2, might be the only state to still have this dinosaur...
                            Young folks are very creative in how to get around this. 2X

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

The vacuum break drains in both directions . . . but the tank side may not be a downward slope all the way to the tank. On my Reflection, this line ducks under a crossmember on its way to the higher tank attachment. Folks get away with not winterizing this line because it is soft hose and can survive water freezing inside. I use a short hose between the outside shower connection and the black tank connection to flush antifreeze through this line.

Rob
                              Vacuum break!. Very creative in using the outside spray hose to do this.

Jim

Comment

• TucsonJim
                                Thanks for the reminder - go my Reflection 220RK done today - took just 1.75 gallons of the pink stuff. However I almost forgot the toilet and outside spray connection.

First drain everything, HW Tank and open the low point drains. However be sure all faucets are open.

Step two is blow the system out with air (40 psi) I use the winterize settings, but also slightly crack the valve to the HW tank and blow air through the line (HW tank drain open) and also crack the valve to the fresh water tank to be sure that line is clear too. Don't forget the toilet - I did first time through

Step 3 is pump the pink stuff through the system. I invert the screen on the city intake, prefill the hose and insert it into the jug, crack the furthest faucet valve and use the outside pump switch to prime. (still on winterize settings). Once primed I turn off the outside pump switch and go inside to cycle the faucets. You would be surprised at the amount of clear water left in the lines after blowing them out. I always start furthest from the pump and work back. Again be sure to flush the outside shower lines and toilet.

Step 4 is I use air again and blow out the system - this helps in the spring not having the system full of pink stuff. Last is open the low point drains again. Then remember to drain the residual water and pink stuff from the tanks. Also be sure all of your p traps have the antifreeze in them, including the shower drain

This is my method - so far no broken fittings in the spring.

Hope this helps
                                Keith
                                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                                X