This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterizing Our Rigs

Well, the Labor Day weekend is a wrap and snow started flying in the Rockies over the weekend. So that means that very soon, you'll need to start thinking about getting your RV ready for freezing temperatures. If you've been on RV forums for very long, you'll have noticed that there are tons of questions every autumn regarding winterizing our rigs. Where can you find information? How do you get ready?

The first place you can get information is from your owner's manual. Fortunately, GDRV has made manual access very easy. Click on the link below and download the appropriate manual for your RV. I'd suggest that you download the version with the latest date for the most up-to-date information.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...owners-manuals

Grand Design has also made some videos that will give you detailed information regarding winterizing your RV. The first video is focused on winterizing a unit that does NOT have a Nautilus panel. This video is pretty comprehensive, but fails to mention draining the fresh water tank. So don't forget that key step. BTW - GDRV-Emily is the star in these videos, so if you ever run into her at a rally, make sure to get her autograph.

Jim

Last edited by TucsonJim; 11-12-2020, 07:15 PM.
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

The second video has instructions specifically related to the Nautilus panel. You'll still need to follow the instructions from the first video for winterizing items like your black tank flush, low point drains, and water heater. And don't forget to drain the fresh water tank.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Jim,

You have linked to the *De-Winterization Video*.

However, finding the Winterization Video appears to be really difficult. I ended up having to search for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ3lnI_Jqy4

Mike
      2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Also, the Water Heater Bypass is in the wrong position in this video. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Normal operation, top and bottom valve OPEN (inline with pipe) and the bypass valve (Middel valve) should be CLOSED, (NOT inline with Pipe).

Winterization, You will CLOSE the top an bottom (Correct in video) but OPEN the bypass valve.
        Mike

Comment

I notice neither the winterizing nor de-winterizing videos discuss the laundry hookups in my 2021 Momentum 397th.

We have no washer installed so the hookups are just there in the closet. We have no drain there. I assume there is a probability that water got in those lines during the summer and I need to push some antifreeze through them. Then in spring, I need to flush antifreeze out of them. How is this done without making a mess in that closet???

Thanks, Steve
          My trailer: Grand Design Momentum 397TH with many small modifications and a fairly large (1700W panels, 10KW batteries) DIY solar install.

My truck: 2020 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 DRW, 6.7L Cummins HO Turbo Diesel, Aisin 6-speed, 4.10 axle, Patriot Blue Pearlcoat, Longhorn L1, Towing Tech, Max tow, Towing prep, 30K 5th wheel, Cold Weather pkg, Safety group, Body color bumpers, Tow hooks, Auto level, 50 gal fuel, Bed step, Side steps, Sunroof, Aux switches, Air Horn, TruXedo Sentry bed cover

Comment

I do not have a model that has laundry, I'm going to be reaching a bit. The following is based on educated guessing.

There should be a drain of some kind near the washer. If you had a washer installed, where would it drain? I'm continuing as if you don't actually have a drain.

Washer machines accept garden hose connection. I would get two short lengths of garden hose, and a bucket. I would attach the short hoses to the faucets, and put the ends in the bucket. Turn on the washer connections, and let the water go into the bucket till you see antifreeze.

Now here's where I hope other chime in, since I don't know if there are any water shutoff valves that isolate the washer machine.
            Mike

Comment

So, having been born and spent the first 30+ years of life in Alaska, cold weather and the joy of frozen pipes is something I'm unfortunately familiar with.
              That said, we are full-timing so doing a job with flushing the water system with anti-freeze isn't really an option.
              We're new to full-timing but having a water supply hose that's insulated with an integral heat tape that has a sensor is a given - but what other things do we need to think about?
              Hoping to migrate south from western Washington where it will only freeze a little bit during the winter to the Tucson, AZ area for a few months where I've been told freezing weather is about as rare as I can hope for, but it's been on my mind to make sure if we get cold weather here before our migration or run into it while on the road that we don't miss any important steps.

We have a 3740BH so the faucet for the outdoor kitchen with just a solid door and no real heat getting to that area is of concern.
              So is the hose connection on the outside by the entry door.
              There is heat in the pass-through basement so I'm hoping it's enough to keep the Nautilus center and hose bib connection point in decent shape.
              We do have Black, Gray, and Fresh tank heaters and unless it's a prolonged cold snap probably won't need them is my guess?

Any full-timers have experiences with cold weather living in an RV that you're willing to share?
              Thank you in advance - this forum is helping me learn!
              Chris
              2019 Solitude 3740BH
              2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

For anyone with a washer in their trailer, clearing the drain of water may be of interest. The linked thread is specific to a Splendide but may apply to other models, too: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...f-smelly-water
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

After sterilizing we fill our fresh water tanks and then disconnect and drain the water supply hose. We have an auxiliary fresh water tank so that gives us a capacity of 100 gallons that will last about 3 days, then we refill the tanks. We also use the propane furnace instead of the electric fireplace when temperatures are below freezing; this keeps the basement and the waterlines running along side the furnace ductwork heated. We don't have an outdoor kitchen but there is very little heat in the garage and the half bath so a low wattage heater set at it's minimum is used to protect those lines. We also run our tank heaters.

The heated supply hose is not a bad idea, but we have stayed in places where we are told to turn the water source off in freezing temperatures. Going on the tanks works well in those situations.
                  John
                  2018 Momentum 395M
                  2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                  Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
                    I do not have a model that has laundry, I'm going to be reaching a bit. The following is based on educated guessing.

There should be a drain of some kind near the washer. If you had a washer installed, where would it drain? I'm continuing as if you don't actually have a drain.
                    There is a capped drain pipe next to the hot and cold water sources for the washer. When it is time to de-winterize, I will experiment with uncapping that pipe and using a short length of hose from the hot then cold feeds to flush down the pipe, then re-cap it.
                    My trailer: Grand Design Momentum 397TH with many small modifications and a fairly large (1700W panels, 10KW batteries) DIY solar install.

My truck: 2020 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 DRW, 6.7L Cummins HO Turbo Diesel, Aisin 6-speed, 4.10 axle, Patriot Blue Pearlcoat, Longhorn L1, Towing Tech, Max tow, Towing prep, 30K 5th wheel, Cold Weather pkg, Safety group, Body color bumpers, Tow hooks, Auto level, 50 gal fuel, Bed step, Side steps, Sunroof, Aux switches, Air Horn, TruXedo Sentry bed cover

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                      For anyone with a washer in their trailer, clearing the drain of water may be of interest. The linked thread is specific to a Splendide but may apply to other models, too: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...f-smelly-water
                      That's interesting. It shows the washer wastewater hose just hanging in the standpipe. Near as I can tell, the standpipe goes to a greywater tank and I don't think I see any provision for a P trap in that path.

Comment

Originally posted by Sckarolek View Post

That's interesting. It shows the washer wastewater hose just hanging in the standpipe. Near as I can tell, the standpipe goes to a greywater tank and I don't think I see any provision for a P trap in that path.
                        I think the wastewater hose, by hanging low like that, is functioning as a P-trap.
                        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post

I think the wastewater hose, by hanging low like that, is functioning as a P-trap.
                          I do not think I agree. Here is the image. The standpipe goes down to the grey tank. While there is a loop in the hose creating a P-trap in the hose, the hose is NOT sealed to the standpipe opening. Gasses from the grey tank can come right up the standpipe unless there is a P-trap somewhere in line in the standpipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Sckarolek View Post

I do not think I agree. Here is the image. The standpipe goes down to the grey tank. While there is a loop in the hose creating a P-trap in the hose, the hose is NOT sealed to the standpipe opening. Gasses from the grey tank can come right up the standpipe unless there is a P-trap somewhere in line in the standpipe.

I stand corrected
                            Mike

Comment

Sckarolek

That is a great point and a great illustration. There probably is not a p-trap in the stand pipe , there is not one at our house for our washer. The rush of water being pumped out of the washer would push the p-trap over capacity and therefore back up the water into the washing machine closet. For winterizing the water in the discharged hose would have to be removed or treated well with RV antifreeze. If there is an odor coming from the stand pipe a loose towel or rag could be placed over the area where the discharge hose enters the stand pipe to help stop the odor.

Brian
                              Last edited by Country Campers; 10-20-2020, 04:03 PM. Reason: spelling
                              Brian & Michelle
                              2018 Reflection 29RS
                              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X