This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Glad this thread is here. This will be the first time winterizing a trailer with anti-freeze. Since '93 I have always blown out the lines with air. But since my selling dealer and several knowledgeable people on this site seem to think it is a bit risky on these trailers, I'll go the anti-freeze route this year.
    One question. Is one gallon enough?
    I use one of these. Holds 5 gallons.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Keeps things dry and tidy. For my 297rsts, I just lay it in the front storage area and syphin from there. Any unused can just stay right in the container.

Terry
    Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
    2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Comment

Good discussion about connecting to the black tank flush. At our campground, each site has a separate non-potable water spigot (painted red with a sign). So I use a black garden hose connected to the black tank flush, along with a shut off valve on the end of the hose, along with the red faucet shut-off. Saves using potable water for flushing. Since we’re parked permanently now, it eliminates connecting and reconnecting the white hose for flushing. With our previous TT at other campgrounds I used the separate black hose connected at the spigot with a “Y” that has a shut-off on each leg; flush leg only turned on when flushing. When done flushing, shut off the black hose first at the spigot; then shut off the valve at the end of the hose. No danger of drain back from the tank flush, & does not cut off water supply to the DW or get any air into the system from disconnecting & reconnecting the white hose for flushing. Although, using quick-disconnects would make using only one hose pretty easy.

Doug
      Doug & Barb
      2020 Solitude 377MBS-R
      2013 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew SB, 2WD, 3.5 EB, Stock Suspension & Michelin Tires
      No, we don’t pull the Solitude, it’s permanently parked on our campsite in SW Fla.
      Previous: Keystone Premier 31BHPR w/Equalizer 1200 WD Hitch

Comment

SolitudeAtLast

Doug

Did you mean to post the previous post here? This is the "Winterizing" thread.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks Brian and Terry,
          I'll pick up more than one gallon.
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Country Campers Post #42 and a few others following it delved into black tank flush connections, and avoiding potential cross contamination of city water supply hose, so I weighed in on that. Evidently other posts returned to winterizing and my post shows up disconnected from #42. Feel free to delete it or move it to a new topic. Sorry for the confusion.

Doug
            Doug & Barb
            2020 Solitude 377MBS-R
            2013 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew SB, 2WD, 3.5 EB, Stock Suspension & Michelin Tires
            No, we don’t pull the Solitude, it’s permanently parked on our campsite in SW Fla.
            Previous: Keystone Premier 31BHPR w/Equalizer 1200 WD Hitch

Comment

Winterizing with the Nautilus panel and Furrion tankless water heater - I've read the GD owner's manual, some forum posts and watched GD's videos on winterizing. Two things I'm unclear on - to get anti-freeze pumped through the tankless water heater (which Furrion says to do) it looks like you put the Nautilus settings to City Water and NOT to the Winterize settings before running the pump to draw in the anti-freeze. Correct? And I'll need to leave the sewer line connected so that I can dump the residual water that will enter the three holding tanks during the anti-freeze process. Correct? It seems pretty straight forward but most of the literature and web info is based upon bypassing a tanked hot water heater system. Thanks!
              Mike and Rebecca
              2022 Reflection 150 260RD, October 2021 build date.
              2001 Chev 2500 HD 8.1 liter 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Mike & Rebecca View Post
                Winterizing with the Nautilus panel and Furrion tankless water heater - I've read the GD owner's manual, some forum posts and watched GD's videos on winterizing. Two things I'm unclear on - to get anti-freeze pumped through the tankless water heater (which Furrion says to do) it looks like you put the Nautilus settings to City Water and NOT to the Winterize settings before running the pump to draw in the anti-freeze. Correct? And I'll need to leave the sewer line connected so that I can dump the residual water that will enter the three holding tanks during the anti-freeze process. Correct? It seems pretty straight forward but most of the literature and web info is based upon bypassing a tanked hot water heater system. Thanks!
                I try to drain as much water as I can before pumping in the antifreeze. Also remember that there is a drain on the tankless water heater that will hold water, drain this before and also after filling with antifreeze to get antifreeze into the drain.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks s ! How about the Nautilus setting to draw the anti freeze through the tankless water heater? I think it's supposed to be set to City Water.
                  Mike and Rebecca

Comment

Set the valves to winterize, except do NOT set the valve to bypass water heater. This will allow the pump to draw in antifreeze and deliver to the water system including the tankless water heater.
                    Ted
                    2021 Reflection 310RLS
                    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                      Set the valves to winterize, except do NOT set the valve to bypass water heater. This will allow the pump to draw in antifreeze and deliver to the water system including the tankless water heater.
                      I see the picture on how to set it to winterize, but what lever needs to be different and in what position, to not bypass the water heater?
                      Mike and Rebecca

Comment

Originally posted by Mike & Rebecca View Post

I see the picture on how to set it to winterize, but what lever needs to be different and in what position, to not bypass the water heater?
                        Mike,
                        If you have a Nautilus panel as shown in the YouTube video I reviewed, don't turn the red lever horizontal (which bypasses the hot water heater) leave it vertical as shown.

Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Lever.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	76206
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Mike,
                          If you have a Nautilus panel as shown in the YouTube video I reviewed, don't turn the red lever horizontal (which bypasses the hot water heater) leave it vertical as shown.

Howard

Name:	Red Lever.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	76206
                          I think that did the trick! And it makes sense after I examined the position of the hot water heater lever for the other settings. Confirmed by pulling the hot water heater drain plug and got pink antifreeze. Fortunately I didn't have my face too close - I forgot to deoressurize first amd got a nice spray. 😁
                          Mike and Rebecca

Comment

FWIW, the valve functions from the Nautilus P1 manual.

Name:	Screenshot_20220207-172759_Drive.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	76218
                            Ted
                            2021 Reflection 310RLS
                            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Glad this thread is here. This will be the first time winterizing a trailer with anti-freeze. Since '93 I have always blown out the lines with air. But since my selling dealer and several knowledgeable people on this site seem to think it is a bit risky on these trailers, I'll go the anti-freeze route this year.
                              One question. Is one gallon enough?
                              Back to air this year. Hate the taste of antifreeze. Seems to take at least a month to get rid of it. Went with anitfreeze last year because I really didn't know much about the Nautilus panel. Now that I'm familiar with it I'm sure it will be fine.
                              2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                              Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Back to air this year. Hate the taste of antifreeze. Seems to take at least a month to get rid of it. Went with anitfreeze last year because I really didn't know much about the Nautilus panel. Now that I'm familiar with it I'm sure it will be fine.
                                Just curious, do you recall what type of antifreeze you went with last year, likely being either the ethanol based or propylene glycol based? The first winter with our trailer I used the ethanol type, which I also found left a taste for the first several trips after that I didn't like.

After that, and reading some of the issues with the ethanol based antifreeze at extreme cold temperatures (which we easily get around here) I switched away from it to the propylene glycol. Haven't had an issue with taste yet. Only issue is the PG is more expensive, but worth it in my opinion, and it's a little harder to come by.
                                2019 Imagine 2400BH
                                2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Working...
                                X