X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll go check...
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

I would encourage those new to this thread to read back through the entire (rather long) discussion before deciding that just blowing out the system with air, is sufficient. The factory doesn’t think it is and uses antifreeze in all units shipped during winter months. An additional complication and cost that I am sure they would avoid . . . if they could.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

StephenO
        It was ethanol based.

Cate&Rob
        I talked to GD, customer service transfered me to a 'tech', and was told either way is sufficient. If using air, last action is to leave all but the black valve at 45*.
        Think about it. You can't break pex by freezing water in it. Tap fixtures are high up and will not pool water. It really just depends if you have a decent air compressor to do the job. Can't do it with a can of air...lol

Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
          StephenO
          It was ethanol based.
          Like I said, I thought the ethanol based antifreeze left a taste in the system, almost like maple syrup but with a chemical hint, and no I am not saying that because we are Canadian .

Anyways, if your interested both Canadian Tire and Princess Auto carry PG water antifreeze, rated for -60c
          https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/a...p.html?loc=plp
          2019 Imagine 2400BH
          2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy

Agreed that Pex pipe will survive freezing . . . but the plastic fittings won’t. Many owners just blow out their water systems, but as discussed earlier in this thread, those of us who have dismantled our RV plumbing have found a lot of water still in the system after blowing it out with air. I’m not trying to change your mind . . . just suggesting that others tuning into the recent posts in this discussion read back through all the perspectives.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post

Like I said, I thought the ethanol based antifreeze left a taste in the system, almost like maple syrup
              My wife wouldn't let me put water in there is she thought the A/F tasted like maple syrup..lol

Comment

Another thought has occurred to me . . . this is often not a good thing . . . Has anyone tried vacuuming out the water system?

What seems to happen when blowing out the lines with pressurized air is that as soon as the air can get past the water in a half filled horizontal pipe, it stops moving the water. This is OK if all lines and pipes remain about half full because there is room for freezing expansion. The problems occur when the remaining water gathers at low points and completely fills a section.

Adapting a shop vac to connect to the low point drains might assist in removing more water . . . maybe ??

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  Another thought has occurred to me . . . this is often not a good thing . . . Has anyone tried vacuuming out the water system?

What seems to happen when blowing out the lines with pressurized air is that as soon as the air can get past the water in a half filled horizontal pipe, it stops moving the water. This is OK if all lines and pipes remain about half full because there is room for freezing expansion. The problems occur when the remaining water gathers at low points and completely fills a section.

Adapting a shop vac to connect to the low point drains might assist in removing more water . . . maybe ??

Rob
                  Don't think you will weaken the team .

I think this would work as well but, it may not pull the water that is laying in a low spot. What plumbers do when trying to solder copper pipe that may still have some water in it is stuff bread into the pipe to hole the water back from the new solder joint. I wonder if you could put bread in at a fixture, you would have to diconnect at a the input side to get the bread in, and then use the vaccum to pull the bread thru. Packing peanuts would work as well as the are water soluable.

This is getting into some pretty strange ideas but maybe something will come of it.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I have always used RV antifreeze and with my new to me 247BH I used it again. When I see pink in the lines then I know I can sleep better at night knowing that in the spring I will not have broken water lines. It gets real cold here in south eastern British Columbia and I store my RV in a unheated metal building which is colder than outside.

Comment

I'm a full timer and don't have a horse in this race, but just want so, or reiterate, that if you don't fill the lines with A/F then please leave all valves and faucets open. As water left in the line freezes and expands it can pressurize any air left in the lines. This can cause damage to fittings and fixtures that are above the water line.
                      John
                      2018 Momentum 395M
                      2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                      Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Zahn View Post
                        I have always used RV antifreeze and with my new to me 247BH I used it again. When I see pink in the lines then I know I can sleep better at night knowing that in the spring I will not have broken water lines. It gets real cold here in south eastern British Columbia and I store my RV in a unheated metal building which is colder than outside.
                        This has always been my rationale as well and since we don't drink the water from our trailer water system, a small amount of residual antifreeze has never been a problem. Another advantage to using antifreeze is that it has anti-corrosion and lubricating properties for valves and metal parts of the system.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The problem with freezing is the compression of trapped water, not the air in the lines. Trapped water will expand just before it freezes and will burst a fitting or valve. PEX will tolerate the expansion. Hard fittings and valves will not.
                          Ted
                          2021 Reflection 310RLS
                          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                            StephenO
                            It was ethanol based.

Cate&Rob
                            I talked to GD, customer service transfered me to a 'tech', and was told either way is sufficient. If using air, last action is to leave all but the black valve at 45*.
                            Think about it. You can't break pex by freezing water in it. Tap fixtures are high up and will not pool water. It really just depends if you have a decent air compressor to do the job. Can't do it with a can of air...lol

Scott,

The cheap plastic fittings under the rig can freeze and break. I blow out the lines at 60 psi then follow up with RV antifreeze. There is really one answer if using air OR antifreeze. Its antifreeze where if enough is passed through the system, there is no chance of freezing. Not the same odds with air alone.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Scott,

The cheap plastic fittings under the rig can freeze and break. I blow out the lines at 60 psi then follow up with RV antifreeze. There is really one answer if using air OR antifreeze. Its antifreeze where if enough is passed through the system, there is no chance of freezing. Not the same odds with air alone.

Jim
                              If enough air is passed through the system..there is no chance of freezing as well. The odds are the same....hinges on that word...enough...lol

You are right, plastic fittings can break if filled with water and freeze. But......I have zero low point fittings in my 303, and the valves are all up high. The low points are all hanging pex lines. After I'm done blowing out the lines there is not enough water in the system to fill pex to get to the point where a fitting will be filled with water.
                              I have no problem with people filling their system with anitfreeze, it's just not my preferred method. Especially due to the horrible taste antifreeze imparts to the water system. Been doing it with air for over 25 years (except for last year) with no issues so far. The one year I used AF..last year..it gave me an issue...taste wise..it messed up my fresh water system.
                              I think my odds are good I will be better without AF.

Comment

Don't forget to remove and dump the pump intake filter bowl. Blowing air does not reach and clear it. Drawing in antifreeze will go through and fill it and the pump.

Running the pump dry can clear the filter bowl and pump.
                                Ted
                                2021 Reflection 310RLS
                                2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
                                X