No announcement yet.

Lubrication of black and gray tank cables - Take II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI Yoda, I replaced my gray water cable about 4 months ago and the t-handle was riveted on. Had to slide the whole cable assembly through the front of the panel and then put the retaining nut on the backside. So I'm thinking your proposed plan will only work with older cables.
    John
    2018 Momentum 395M
    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
      FYI Yoda, I replaced my gray water cable about 4 months ago and the t-handle was riveted on. Had to slide the whole cable assembly through the front of the panel and then put the retaining nut on the backside. So I'm thinking your proposed plan will only work with older cables.
      I guess I will try removing the screw and look?
      Thanks
      Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
        Maybe check out something like these https://www.denniskirk.com/champions...4aAiqGEALw_wcB
        Its not big enough to fit the 9/16 end.
        Thanks for the thought though.
        Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Its not big enough to fit the 9/16 end.
          Thanks for the thought though.
          Keith
          They very well may make others and might if they had an enquirer. Another thought would be the boat steering cable style. These are capped nuts with a port on the side. Not sure of the size.

Fighting an infection that has had me laid up for a week and can’t check sizes in my shop.
          John & Kathy
          2014 Reflection 303RLS
          2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
            Maybe check out something like these https://www.denniskirk.com/champions...4aAiqGEALw_wcB
            howson Howard tried one of these and it did not solve the problem because the binding is not between the center cable and the loose fitting sheath.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

howson Howard tried one of these and it did not solve the problem because the binding is not between the center cable and the loose fitting sheath.

Rob
              Rob - your probably correct. I am just hoping to take one trouble spot out of the equation (cable). If my valves really start sticking I will probably do your zerk mod, but maybe with a remote connection set up.
              https://locknlube.com/products/greas...SABEgJUQvD_BwE

I was thinking the other day that my adding the Dawn pre-charge in the black tank might actually lube the valve. I cant remember having a stuck valve since using it on any of my old trailers. On my old unit it was the cable that got rusty (but it was exposed). With only a few gallons of water and the soap in the pre-charge, the valve gets hit with a strong concentration for a while. I am thinking the dish soap helps keep it from sticking. It does suds up during travel and when dumping too. You don't hear much about stuck gray tank valves where soap is usually present. Thoughts?

Comment

Spent some time trying to free up these dump valves. Using 3/8"ID tubing, I added some PB blaster, and with a rubber tipped nozzle injected about 10-15psi air to push it along the cable. Followed that with some ATF, also pushed with compressed air - about 20psi. Held the pressure on the hose until I could hear bubbling under the trailer from the valves. It's pretty cold outside, so a heat gun helped soften the hose enough to slide it over the valve threads.

2 of the valves began to operate. With several cycles, the black tank valve and one grey tank valve are now serviceable. The kitchen grey tank valve moved just a little to the mostly open position, then would not close. So I will take that one apart. Was hoping not to lower the coroplast under the valves, but gotta do it now. Noted the cables between the valves and handles are routed pretty well, with no sharp bends or excess length.​

Click image for larger version  Name:	grey dump valves.png Views:	0 Size:	858.0 KB ID:	129896

This youtuber made a device that essentially does this - he is using 40psi air - pretty cool device.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dump valve lubricator.png
Views:	72
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	129997

RV waste tanks can’t be dumped? This lubricator works to free up and lubricate the cable. (youtube.com)
                Last edited by BWSTGDS; 03-08-2024, 06:30 PM.
                Jeff & Janice
                2019 Solitude 377MBS, 5.5kW Onan, Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, EquaFlex/wetbolts, Triangle TRT01 LRG tires, Splendide W/D, Magnum Energy 3000W inverter/charger, 4-225AH-6V NPP AGM's, Winegard WiFi extender, RV airflow, Progressive Ind HW EMS, Andersen Ultimate Hitch​

Comment

BWSTGDS -- thanks for that video link! I just emailed Russell asking if he still makes and sells the "Lubricator".
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                    BWSTGDS -- thanks for that video link! I just emailed Russell asking if he still makes and sells the "Lubricator".
                    Wonder why he says he uses a non-petroleum based lubricator? I'm thinking any good thin viscosity oil like Mobile One would work.
                    2020 Reflection 273MK
                    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

Wonder why he says he uses a non-petroleum based lubricator? I'm thinking any good thin viscosity oil like Mobile One would work.
                      I emailed Russ and this was his response (he gave me permission to quote him):

The reason I use wd40 is because it’s thin enough to go through the cables , it also displaces moisture, and it won’t cause damage to plastic and rubber parts in the underside of your rv. Motor oil is very destructive to rubber and some plastics. Some of the cables I have lubed have taken a long time with pressure on it to get through. Any type of penetrating lube will work, we 40 is readily available and cheap. Motor oil is way too thick to be pushed through. Thanks, Russell DUCKWALL
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Let's also not forget that motor oil and a lot of other petroleum lubricants are bad for septic systems like those used in Campgrounds.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Does he still make and sell the lubricator?
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post

Does he still make and sell the lubricator?
                            Yes. I ordered one. Here's his reply when I asked the same question:

yes I’m selling the lubricators. $25 for the lubricator, $11 shipping, if you need a schrader valve they are $3. The easiest way to pay is through Zelle, some people send a check, some people send an Amazon gift card for the full amount. Both Zelle and Amazon use my email address to send it. Let me know what works best for you . Thanks!​

His email is rduckwall@hotmail.com

I paid via Amazon Gift Card.

I also asked who needed the schrader valve. His response: If you’re only air pressure source is a tire inflator with an air chuck you need a schrader valve to put the air in.

For the $3 I had him include it on mine.

Comment

I emailed Russ and this was his response (he gave me permission to quote him):

The reason I use wd40 is because it’s thin enough to go through the cables , it also displaces moisture, and it won’t cause damage to plastic and rubber parts in the underside of your rv. Motor oil is very destructive to rubber and some plastics. Some of the cables I have lubed have taken a long time with pressure on it to get through. Any type of penetrating lube will work, we 40 is readily available and cheap. Motor oil is way too thick to be pushed through. Thanks, Russell DUCKWALL
                              Then that would rule out PB Blaster as it has petroleum distillates in it. WD40 looks like the solution to use.
                              2020 Reflection 273MK
                              2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

Then that would rule out PB Blaster as it has petroleum distillates in it. WD40 looks like the solution to use.
                                Yeah, I probably should have used WD40. I had to wipe up some drips from the valves off the reflectix/insulation. It sure does work though.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1440.jpg Views:	17 Size:	65.2 KB ID:	129996

This kitchen holding tank valve was a bit damaged from my forceful closing push. When removed, the cable moves fine, but the valve is stuck open. messing with it, it will close, but hangs up again in the open position. Have a Bristol one ordered from ebay now.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1447.jpg Views:	18 Size:	213.9 KB ID:	129995

The valve had not been opened more than a little in a long time. Some serious nastiness came out very slowly when I removed the valve . Looking forward to getting this back together.​
                                Last edited by BWSTGDS; 03-09-2024, 10:06 AM.
                                Jeff & Janice
                                2019 Solitude 377MBS, 5.5kW Onan, Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, EquaFlex/wetbolts, Triangle TRT01 LRG tires, Splendide W/D, Magnum Energy 3000W inverter/charger, 4-225AH-6V NPP AGM's, Winegard WiFi extender, RV airflow, Progressive Ind HW EMS, Andersen Ultimate Hitch​

Comment

Working...
                                X