Gray water tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gray water tanks

Our 221RB has two gray water drains so I assume there are two tanks. Perhaps I'm assuming wrong. I would like to know if this is the case and if so, how many gallons is each tank. I only see specs for the total. Does anyone have the answer?
    Bill & Cindy
    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
    SE Texas

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
    Our 221RB has two gray water drains so I assume there are two tanks. Perhaps I'm assuming wrong. I would like to know if this is the case and if so, how many gallons is each tank. I only see specs for the total. Does anyone have the answer?
    Yes, you have two gray tanks. A 29 gallon for the kitchen and a 39 gallon in the bathroom.

Actual capacity may be slightly less due to installation of venting, pipes, etc.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Good morning Bill. I took a look at the 221RB drawings, parts look-up and specifications. Indeed, you're Transcend has two gray holding tanks. The rear tank is 39 gallons and drains the bathroom sink and shower. The front gray tank is for the kitchen sink and is 29 gallons. I cross referenced this by looking up the holding tank parts on the GDRV parts lookup page.

GDRV-Emily

On the GDRV 221RB Transcend page, it shows "Grey Capacity as 79 gallons". According to the DWV drawing (Revision Date 12/12/18), the combined gray capacity is 69 gallons, not 79. A correction is probably needed to either the specifications on the web page, or the drawing needs to be updated if there has been a change.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Yes, you have two gray tanks. A 29 gallon for the kitchen and a 39 gallon in the bathroom.

Actual capacity may be slightly less due to installation of venting, pipes, etc.
        Thank you, Howard. I thought I had seen the amount somewhere but was mistaken. I see from Jim's post that the actual combined capacity is less than shown on the website.

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
        Good morning Bill. I took a look at the 221RB drawings, parts look-up and specifications. Indeed, you're Transcend has two gray holding tanks. The rear tank is 39 gallons and drains the bathroom sink and shower. The front gray tank is for the kitchen sink and is 29 gallons. I cross referenced this by looking up the holding tank parts on the GDRV parts lookup page.

GDRV-Emily

On the GDRV 221RB Transcend page, it shows "Grey Capacity as 79 gallons". According to the DWV drawing (Revision Date 12/12/18), the combined gray capacity is 69 gallons, not 79. A correction is probably needed to either the specifications on the web page, or the drawing needs to be updated if there has been a change.

Jim
        Jim, thank you for this information. Possibly a typo on the web page? The information will help us with tank management.

Bill & Cindy
        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
        SE Texas

Comment

Readying for an upcoming trip a question came to me about these tanks. Which is tank 1, the bath, or the kitchen? Thanks.

Also, how are the tank sensors set up inside the tanks? High, low?
          Last edited by BillinTexas; 09-28-2020, 06:26 AM.
          Bill & Cindy
          2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
          SE Texas

Comment

Readying for an upcoming trip a question came to me about these tanks. Which is tank 1, the bath, or the kitchen? Thanks.

Also, how are the tank sensors set up inside the tanks? High, low?
            By "tank 1" I assume you mean the label on the Convenience Center? The only way to know for sure is to add water to one of them and see which indicator corresponds.

The sensors are "stacked" on the side of the tank: low, medium and high. You can see them on this shot of a gray tank:

Click image for larger version  Name:	gray tank.JPG Views:	0 Size:	288.2 KB ID:	30884
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Howard, thank you. This is part of my tank management training as we stay at campgrounds many times that don't have site sewer and only dump stations.
              Bill & Cindy
              2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
              SE Texas

Comment

BillinTexas howson

To add to Howard's description, attached is another view of the tank probes. I don't know what the "?" probe is . . . it looks to me like they moved the ground probe away from the others. All my tanks are the same. It is important to understand that these tank level monitoring systems are notorious for being inaccurate. In my experience, the indicated level is wrong more often than it is right.

WRT which handle is for which tank . . . when the bundle of cables arrive at the handle location during manufacturing, they do not always get installed in the same order, so even two trailers of the same model can have the pull cables in a different order. Best to put water in one tank and then pull each handle individually to see which one drains the water, as Howard describes.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank Probes.jpg
Views:	2216
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	30890 ​​​​​​​
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob Cate&Rob - I seems to recall that some or all of our prior RVs had sensors that read out (in addition to "E" like we now have) 1/4, 1/2. 3/4. and full (4/4). This may explain the lowest sensor being the 1/4 measure used when RVs are built with 4 reading levels plus empty, rather than 3 levels we now have. I have always wondered why our readings seem inaccurate at the 2/3 and 1/3 readings. Maybe this is why.....hmm ?

Dan
                  Dan & Carol
                  2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                  2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Canyonlight
                    Hi Dan,

When I look at the physical spacing of the probes on a basically rectangular tank, it looks to me like the lowest connection (with the green wire) should be on the ? probe. Then the three "thirds" would be more-or-less evenly spaced.

When we first got our Reflection, I tried to get the tank indicator lights to function correctly. Various tank washing and flushing scenarios. I realized that even if I got them to read correctly, a week later they would be wrong again. So I gave up (better for my blood pressure ) . . . I can't even remember the last time I pushed the "level indicator" buttons, it was years ago.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                      BillinTexas howson

To add to Howard's description, attached is another view of the tank probes. I don't know what the "?" probe is . . . it looks to me like they moved the ground probe away from the others. All my tanks are the same. It is important to understand that these tank level monitoring systems are notorious for being inaccurate. In my experience, the indicated level is wrong more often than it is right.

WRT which handle is for which tank . . . when the bundle of cables arrive at the handle location during manufacturing, they do not always get installed in the same order, so even two trailers of the same model can have the pull cables in a different order. Best to put water in one tank and then pull each handle individually to see which one drains the water, as Howard describes.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank Probes.jpg
Views:	2216
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	30890 ​​​​​​​
                      Thanks, Rob. I will give the two gray tanks a test when I arrive back home from a warranty appointment trip we are leaving on tomorrow. Getting the board in our Norcold replaced so it will run on propane. Was bad when we took delivery.

Bill & Cindy
                      2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                      SE Texas

Comment

Is the full sensor a little below the actual top of the tank? This on the black tank. The photo makes it appear so. Trying to get another 24 his without having to dump. Thanks.
                        Bill & Cindy
                        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                        SE Texas

Comment

Is the full sensor a little below the actual top of the tank? This on the black tank. The photo makes it appear so. Trying to get another 24 his without having to dump. Thanks.
                          You're drive yourself bonkers if you try to rely on the sensors, BillinTexas . As Cate&Rob already described the sensors are notoriously inaccurate.

When the potty "burps" (you'll know it when you hear it) it's time to dump.

Comment

I have delayed dumping the black tank when the sensor reads 100% (Yes I know the sensor is not accurate, but I can still get it to read between 66% and 100% full so I might as well use it) because we got back too late for me to do my dump, flush, and prime routine with no adverse effect. As howson indicates, the tank is not full until to toilet burps and our sensor indicates 100% before this happens,
                            John
                            2018 Momentum 395M
                            2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                            Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, Howard and John. We do use ours as an "indication" of how much is in the tanks. I have experimented at home enough to feel comfortable with what the levels are telling me. With gray only of course. We were in 5 days and 4 nights last week and the last day used the state park facilities when we could. We never hit full. I have since purchased and portable tank for extended trips.
                              Bill & Cindy
                              2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                              SE Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X