Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Point Drain Thread Type

Hello Everyone

Does anyone know off hand what type of threads are on the low point drain points? I was looking at the low point drains on our trailer, and it looks like a PEX swivel adapter was used, which to me means they are a 1/2" straight thread type. I then looked at the plugs that were screwed into that fitting, and they look like a 1/2" MIP, similar to what would be used on the water heater, which to me would be a tapered threading. I checked the parts lookup page, and it only lists 1/2" male pipe thread plugs, which again to me reads as 1/2" MIP. Am I wrong / crazy, and the plugs are straight threads?

Thanks!
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
    Hello Everyone

Does anyone know off hand what type of threads are on the low point drain points? I was looking at the low point drains on our trailer, and it looks like a PEX swivel adapter was used, which to me means they are a 1/2" straight thread type. I then looked at the plugs that were screwed into that fitting, and they look like a 1/2" MIP, similar to what would be used on the water heater, which to me would be a tapered threading. I checked the parts lookup page, and it only lists 1/2" male pipe thread plugs, which again to me reads as 1/2" MIP. Am I wrong / crazy, and the plugs are straight threads?

Thanks!
    I know these are 1/2"...but type of thread? I am not sure. There's a lot of listings on Lowes and other websites for the 1/2" PEX inserts but the listings don't specify the type of thread.

From a conversation with Cate&Rob quite awhile ago, I *think* the thread is "tapered" (vs straight). If I'm wrong hopefully he'll chime in here...

Click image for larger version  Name:	threads.JPG Views:	0 Size:	129.0 KB ID:	30453
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I believe they are standard NTP or as the listing Male tapered pipe (US measurement not metric)
      https://www.freshwatersystems.com/bl...-type-and-pipe
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

StephenO

The swivel fittings on the ends of the Pex drain lines have cone seals and as such are designed to seal against the end of a straight thread part such as you would find on a faucet connection. In the "old days" this is the connection that used the soft copper ferrule and squeezed that between the nut and the end of the male straight thread part to create the seal.

Pipe threads seal in a completely different way. The threads are tapered and get tighter as the attachment progresses until a seal is achieved between the male and female threads. This is the type of connection where teflon tape will help the sealing process between the threads of the two parts. (Teflon tape will do nothing for a connection depending on the rubber cone to do the sealing.)

Now . . . the thread pitch is the same on a given size (1/2" in this case) between straight thread and tapered pipe thread. If the end of the part with the male tapered thread happens to be smooth enough for the cone seal to compress against without tearing . . . this will usually work.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

StephenO

The swivel fittings on the ends of the Pex drain lines have cone seals and as such are designed to seal against the end of a straight thread part such as you would find on a faucet connection. In the "old days" this is the connection that used the soft copper ferrule and squeezed that between the nut and the end of the male straight thread part to create the seal.

Pipe threads seal in a completely different way. The threads are tapered and get tighter as the attachment progresses until a seal is achieved between the male and female threads. This is the type of connection where teflon tape will help the sealing process between the threads of the two parts. (Teflon tape will do nothing for a connection depending on the rubber cone to do the sealing.)

Now . . . the thread pitch is the same on a given size (1/2" in this case) between straight thread and tapered pipe thread. If the end of the part with the male tapered thread happens to be smooth enough for the cone seal to compress against without tearing . . . this will usually work.

Rob
          Rob,

The winterization hose on my Imagine is the same type of fitting. It will not fit inside the RV antifreeze jug. Will a male garden hose fitting work on these so a small extension hose can be made?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Rob,

The winterization hose on my Imagine is the same type of fitting. It will not fit inside the RV antifreeze jug. Will a male garden hose fitting work on these so a small extension hose can be made?

Jim
            Hi Jim,

You could replace the Pex fitting on the winterization hose with a Pex to 3/4" male Garden Hose fitting https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ecopoly-...2867/308745726 and then cap this when not in use with a garden hose cap or attach a length of garden hose for drawing in antifreeze. Rather than the plastic part in the attached link, I might choose brass but could not find a single piece adapter. You could do it in two parts. Pex to 1/2" pipe thread and 1/2" pipe thread to 3/4" garden hose.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hi Jim,

You could replace the Pex fitting on the winterization hose with a Pex to 3/4" male Garden Hose fitting https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ecopoly-...2867/308745726 and then cap this when not in use with a garden hose cap or attach a length of garden hose for drawing in antifreeze. Rather than the plastic part in the attached link, I might choose brass but could not find a single piece adapter. You could do it in two parts. Pex to 1/2" pipe thread and 1/2" pipe thread to 3/4" garden hose.

Rob
              Thank you Rob,

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Rob,

Jim
                Would something like this work? https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBit...60LF/302360250
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the info. What actually got me wondering about this is when I was winterizing and using the low-point drains, I remembered howson posting that he had crimped on new PEX ball vales in place of the swivel adapters. I then was looking around and saw valves like this

and I wondered if I could be lazy and just secure those to the swivel fittings. However, I saw that the drain plugs were the cone seal type that Cate&Rob mentions, and that valve in the picture would be a thread seal.

Guest I hear you on the hose not fitting in the anti-freeze jug, and I actually just cut open each bottle I use; Not ideal though....On the winterizing note, I had gone through the action emptying my fresh tank and then pumping anti-freeze through the plumbing system using the pump by-pass, and then switched the by-pass valve back to 'normal' mode. Later after driving the trailer to our storage lot, I opened the fresh tank drain again to make sure it was fully drained and some liquid came out. I understand that it could have been residual water, but is there any chance some anti-freeze could have flowed backwards into the fresh tank when I switched that by-pass to normal? Do i need to do a quick rinsing on my fresh tank to ensure there isn't any anti-freeze in the fresh tank all winter?

Thanks again!
                  2019 Imagine 2400BH
                  2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Thanks everyone for the info. What actually got me wondering about this is when I was winterizing and using the low-point drains, I remembered howson posting that he had crimped on new PEX ball vales in place of the swivel adapters. I then was looking around and saw valves like this

and I wondered if I could be lazy and just secure those to the swivel fittings. However, I saw that the drain plugs were the cone seal type that Cate&Rob mentions, and that valve in the picture would be a thread seal.

Guest I hear you on the hose not fitting in the anti-freeze jug, and I actually just cut open each bottle I use; Not ideal though....On the winterizing note, I had gone through the action emptying my fresh tank and then pumping anti-freeze through the plumbing system using the pump by-pass, and then switched the by-pass valve back to 'normal' mode. Later after driving the trailer to our storage lot, I opened the fresh tank drain again to make sure it was fully drained and some liquid came out. I understand that it could have been residual water, but is there any chance some anti-freeze could have flowed backwards into the fresh tank when I switched that by-pass to normal? Do i need to do a quick rinsing on my fresh tank to ensure there isn't any anti-freeze in the fresh tank all winter?

Thanks again!
                    StephenO These are all great ideas but from Robs post, the OEM fitting will not work with a pipe thread

I could see a bit of antifreeze traveling back into the tank from the pump and this is not an issue. The RV antifreeze will not do any harm where I pour two gallons in the tank after draining to flush the line from the tank. Then I will pull in two more gallons through the winterization hose where I also cut the top off one jug to form a pseudo bucket. Once everything is running at full concentration, I will close off the black and gray tank drains (all previously flushed) to leave some antifreeze there to protect the drains/valves.

But each time I cut the top off the antifreeze jug each year, I think how nice an adapter hose would be.

Jim

Comment

....... but is there any chance some anti-freeze could have flowed backwards into the fresh tank when I switched that by-pass to normal? Do i need to do a quick rinsing on my fresh tank to ensure there isn't any anti-freeze in the fresh tank all winter?
                      No. RV Anti-freeze is non-toxic, IE injesting some of it won't hurt you. Your fine. It won't hurt anything sitting in the tank.

Anyways, in the spring, when you dewinterize, you WILL be sanitizing your water system. (Pouring a bleach / water mixture in the freshwater tank, and letting sit for many hours. howson
                      , we should have a guide on this in the Reference material section. I posted some directions at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...8366#post28366)

Mike
                      2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Apologies for wandering off topic here, but to follow the previous discussion about antifreeze . . . it is wise to be generous with the amount of antifreeze that you put into the grey and black tanks. Unlike the fresh water tank which drains (completely) from the bottom, the waste tanks drain from the ends and when nothing more will come out (without dramatically raising/lowering the front of the trailer) there will still be up to half inch of water in the bottom of these tanks. You need to mix this water with as much antifreeze as possible. Even a small amount of water in the mix dramatically raises the freeze temperature.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Apologies for wandering off topic here, but to follow the previous discussion about antifreeze . . . it is wise to be generous with the amount of antifreeze that you put into the grey and black tanks. Unlike the fresh water tank which drains (completely) from the bottom, the waste tanks drain from the ends and when nothing more will come out (without dramatically raising/lowering the front of the trailer) there will still be up to half inch of water in the bottom of these tanks. You need to mix this water with as much antifreeze as possible. Even a small amount of water in the mix dramatically raises the freeze temperature.

Rob
                          I could be wrong about this but freezing water is only a problem when it doesn't have room to expand. A small amount of water in a basically open tank can freeze without issue since there is plenty of room for it to expand.

The problem with freezing water is in the lines. If it doesn't have room to expand things tend to crack or seals tend to leak to compensate for the expansion.

Charles and Susan
                          2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
                          Andersen Hitch
                          2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Originally posted by ckreef View Post

I could be wrong about this but freezing water is only a problem when it doesn't have room to expand. A small amount of water in a basically open tank can freeze without issue since there is plenty of room for it to expand.

The problem with freezing water is in the lines. If it doesn't have room to expand things tend to crack or seals tend to leak to compensate for the expansion.
                            I completely agree . . . which is why countless owners get away with storing their RVs in sub-freezing temperatures with water in the bottom of waste tanks and the bottom of the water heater . . . nothing for the expanding ice to press against. I still put a generous amount of antifreeze into the tanks (and the water heater) . . . cheap insurance.

Even in the lines, both Pex and the soft hose can tolerate freezing expansion. The fittings cannot. This is why those who just blow out the system (which leaves a lot of water in the lines) also get away with this method (usually).

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob
                              Rob - One trick I do is after doing all the liquid winterizing is raise the front of the trailer so everything drains form the front tanks (low end is to the back), then lower so the back tank drains completely (low end is to the front), The inch or so of water with the antifreeze in it from winterizing the pipes and sink traps is not a problem. My last step is blow everything out with air - which is also the first step.

Hope this helps
                              Keith

Comment

Working...
                              X