2016 Momentum 327M rear gray tank "leak"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Momentum 327M rear gray tank "leak"

Our new to us Momentum has a leak in the rear gray water tank when the tank is near full & under tow. Dropped the rear undercover & removed the wet insulation, filled the tank (kitchen sink & washer drain) and water leaks out of top of tank when it is full.. can't see top of tank to see how it is vented... Is there no overflow vent to the outside on the gray tanks simulator to the freshwater? The reason I towed with the rear tank full is I did not realize the gray tank drain handle on the forward panel did not drain both tanks 😳

Hi there Twodillonz. And welcome to the forum. It would be against code to build a unit with an unvented tank. All the units I've worked on have a vent from the tanks to the roof. Based on that assumption, there are three scenarios that may be contributing to the leak.

1. The vent pipe itself has a bad connection which allowed sloshing to leak out.
    2. The vent pipe has pulled out of the holding tank.
    3. The seal for the vent pipe is leaking.

I personally experienced option #1 on one of my 2014 pipes. Fortunately, I was able to find it and fix it. Here's a pic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0231.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	30496

You might be able to use an optical probe to take a look without having to drop the tank.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Twodillonz View Post
      Our new to us Momentum has a leak in the rear gray water tank when the tank is near full & under tow. Dropped the rear undercover & removed the wet insulation, filled the tank (kitchen sink & washer drain) and water leaks out of top of tank when it is full.. can't see top of tank to see how it is vented... Is there no overflow vent to the outside on the gray tanks simulator to the freshwater? The reason I towed with the rear tank full is I did not realize the gray tank drain handle on the forward panel did not drain both tanks 😳
      We've all been there...there's not an owner that hasn't made one (or more!) newbie goofs. I'd need my own channel in this forum to document everything I did wrong the first time.

When you get a chance, check out the welcome letter to get the most out of this forum: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I am going to bet I have condition #1 as Jim kindly posted a picture of. I have a borescope and will try to get a look tomorrow. It looks like I can pull the door panel out of the sink cabinet for better access. I didn't discover the rear dump handle till we got back home 😳

Comment

Confirmed condition #1 as the culprit on both the drain pipe & the vent pipe. The roof of the tank had sagged enough to pop the rubber fittings out of the tank. Fixed the sink fitting with a longer Pee trap tube off the sink allowing me to insert the drain tube into the tank fitting far enough to expand the fitting. Had to cut the vent elbow and need to get a new elbow and longer piece of drain pipe to engage the tank fitting. Hoping the front tank was installed better...🤔

Comment

Working...
          X