Fresh water loss from tank through the overflow tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh water loss from tank through the overflow tube

I am a new owner of a 2020 MKE 17 and lose water during travel from the blue overflow tube. My last trip I taped it closed and arrived with a full Tank. I am thinking of putting on a valve to close it off during travel, but leaving it open during filling an parked situations. Has anybody had a problem with losing up to a 1/2 tank during travel?

Many have had that issue and installed a valve like you suggest... you just have to remember to open it before you use the tank.

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Good morning Fish 01. Welcome to the technical forum. This is a very common problem and would happen to me frequently. I solved it with a valve also. Like Rob says, it's important to stay on top of the valve position though. I actually put a label on my pump switch that says "Valve Open" to remind me to open it during filling and usage.

JIm
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Fish 01, I had the same issue until the dealer dropped both tanks, removed the 3/4" overflow tubes (replaced w/ 1/2") and rerouted to create a vacuum break. This was done under warranty and from Grand Design's direction. Since completed I show up w/full tanks and don't have to worry about opening any valves.
        Jesse

Comment

I installed a ball valve on the overflow and when filling will shut off the water and will close the overflow ball valve to a small drip. This will allow some exchange or fluid for expansion but will also drip when traveling. This slow drip will leak about one gallon of water during travel and if I forget to open the valve, there will be enough airflow to prevent an issue. This has been a temporary solution where I have wanted to install a vent so the overflow can be closed off without a concern. I have a locking gravity fill that I have been planning to install and will connect the vent on this device to a tee that I've installed just before the ball valve on the overflow. This gravity fill model has a locking cap that protects the vent to prevent the intrusion of road spray.

https://www.amazon.com/UKSAT-Locking...03298277&psc=1

Jim
          Last edited by Guest; 09-24-2020, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
            Good morning Fish 01. Welcome to the technical forum. This is a very common problem and would happen to me frequently. I solved it with a valve also. Like Rob says, it's important to stay on top of the valve position though. I actually put a label on my pump switch that says "Valve Open" to remind me to open it during filling and usage.

JIm
            The label is a good idea, Jim. I have to put a left-over restaurant gift card (it's red) on top of the kitchen vent/fan switch when we turn it on for cooking so I'll remember to close it afterward. Whether it's forgetfulness or ears, I'll blame both on age.
            Rob & Laura
            U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
            2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
            2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
            (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
            Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Barstow853 View Post
              Fish 01, I had the same issue until the dealer dropped both tanks, removed the 3/4" overflow tubes (replaced w/ 1/2") and rerouted to create a vacuum break. This was done under warranty and from Grand Design's direction. Since completed I show up w/full tanks and don't have to worry about opening any valves.
              Jesse
              Just trying to picture this as it sounds like a great way forward. Only thing that I can think of is they plumbed as S to create this.

Rob
              Rob & Barb
              2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
              2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Working...
              X