Shower Leak on Our 2020 337RLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower Leak on Our 2020 337RLS

Hope everyone is healthy and safe. On our recent trip we started noticing water pooling around the outside corner of our shower after it had been used. I have attached photos of where the water was collecting. First thought was to check behind the shower faucet to see if there was a leak there. Removed the access panel in the adjacent shelving area. Could not see any signs of a leak and the connections were tight. Then I noticed that the screw located in the center of the middle shower door track was not screwed all the way in and there was no sealant around the screw head. I removed the screw (Robertson No. 2 of course) and replaced it with a #8 pan head stainless steel sheet metal screw and made sure there was plenty of silicone sealant on the threads and around the pan head. Won't know if this was causing the leak until we leave on our next glamping trip in two weeks. It also seems the caulking done around the shower door frame was a rush job. First, I am surprised at the lack of quality installation work considering how the screw was installed. Second, it appears that we have a soft spot in the floor at the corner along with the molding piece at the edge. Wondering if this needs to be replaced and would it be covered under warranty? Has anyone else experienced such a leak?
    Mark & Ellen
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 RAM 3500 Mega Cab SRW

Slight edit. I used a Robertson No.2 screwdriver to remove the factory installed screw but the screw itself is really a Phillips head square type screw. Not sure if there is really much of a difference.
    Mark & Ellen
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

MAW7228
      Not that this makes any difference to the content of your post, but on this forum you can edit your own posts . . . you don’t have to make a subsequent post with an edit.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Mark and Ellen MAW7228 - regarding the wood damaged by the water leak as you shared, I would suggest contacting GDRV Customer Service 574 825 9679 and share your findings. Based on your description it does not hurt to ask and see what they may do. GDRV has a pretty good track record of taking care of owners particularly where there may have been a high level of confidence that there was a production quality issue. Keep us posted.

Not sure how long you have owned your 337 but kinda surprised you did not see water on the floor prior to damaging the wall trim piece(s) and possibly the floor in that area.

Dan
        Dan & Carol
        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

MAW7228

​​​​​​​Would you be able to post a few pics of the inside of the shower door track , I would like to see the caulking around the track especially at the corner where the water has pooled on the outside and up the track on the inside. I am guessing that there is insufficient caulking that has been done on the inside of the track from your description.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Rob, thanks for reminding me about the edit feature.

Dan, we started noticing the water on our second and most recent trip and used towels to sop the water up. In the beginning there was not much water there but as our stay went on the water started to become very noticeable. We continued to place paper towels there before taking a shower and each time the towels became extremely wet. After a few towel placements the pooling of water would end until the next shower use. We purchased the RV last November. Due to the virus we could not take any trips until July. We did not notice any water leakage during our first outing, a trip about 3 hours away from home. This past trip the journey was to Vermont which was a good 8 hours up and another 8 back. I'm wondering if something may have occurred during the drive. It was all interstate travel for the most part, not to bumpy.

Brian, I'll take more photos tomorrow morning and post them. I know the factory caulking at the corners was not the best. Never had this issue with my previous travel trailer (Tracer by Prime Time).
            Last edited by MAW7228; 09-29-2020, 06:07 PM. Reason: We have an appointment with the dealer the end of October (soonest we could get in). Will be making one more trip soon so anything I can do to resolve this issue beforehand would be terrific.
            Mark & Ellen
            2020 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

MAW7228 - appreciate the detailed reply. Keep us posted.

Dan
              Dan & Carol
              2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
              2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by MAW7228 View Post
                Thanks everyone for the feedback. Rob, thanks for reminding me about the edit feature.

Dan, we started noticing the water on our second and most recent trip and used towels to sop the water up. In the beginning there was not much water there but as our stay went on the water started to become very noticeable. We continued to place paper towels there before taking a shower and each time the towels became extremely wet. After a few towel placements the pooling of water would end until the next shower use. We purchased the RV last November. Due to the virus we could not take any trips until July. We did not notice any water leakage during our first outing, a trip about 3 hours away from home. This past trip the journey was to Vermont which was a good 8 hours up and another 8 back. I'm wondering if something may have occurred during the drive. It was all interstate travel for the most part, not to bumpy.

Brian, I'll take more photos tomorrow morning and post them. I know the factory caulking at the corners was not the best. Never had this issue with my previous travel trailer (Tracer by Prime Time).
                If possible could you turn on the water to the shower head and point the spray to the back corner , any where away from the door structure. I am curious if you may have a leaking fitting behind the shower controls.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Good afternoon Brian. Attached are additional photos of the shower area. I won't be able to attach a water supply until this weekend. However, I did check the fittings when we first noticed the problem and the fittings seemed tight. There was also no leakage at the fittings when the shower was turned on and let run for a few minutes. I made sure the water stayed away from the door assembly (I stood outside the open door holding the spay head.
                  Mark & Ellen
                  2020 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Mark

From those pics it sure looks like you need a better sealing job done around those lower corners at least.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I agree. If I go ahead and redo the sealing around the lower corners to get us through our upcoming trip, will I have issues with the warranty? I do plan to take it back to the dealer towards the end of October for them to address the leak and damage to the surrounding floor and molding along with state inspection and a leveling issue.
                      Mark & Ellen
                      2020 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

We had a leak problem with our 2020 337RLS. On our first trip out we notice our bedroom carpet was wet, by the wall next to the bathroom. I traced it to the shower and saw that water was making its way under the shower door track, then leaking to the floor. The small amount of caulking there was pulled apart. I bought some clear caulk and ran a bead on the outside of the track all along the bottom. Problem fixed!
                        Mike & Michelle
                        2020 337RLS
                        2018 F350 SB diesel

Comment

Originally posted by MAW7228 View Post
                          I agree. If I go ahead and redo the sealing around the lower corners to get us through our upcoming trip, will I have issues with the warranty? I do plan to take it back to the dealer towards the end of October for them to address the leak and damage to the surrounding floor and molding along with state inspection and a leveling issue.
                          You should not incur any warranty issues by trying to seal this yourself. Take plenty of pictures and contact your dealer before adding sealant. Cleaning the old sealant away and the surrounding parts to be sealed is a must for good adhesion.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks for all of the feedback. I'll call the dealer this morning and with their OK I will recaulk the joints and run a bead on the inside of the shower floor at the track. We enjoy reading the Forum comments in all categories and really appreciate the wealth of experience and knowledge out there specific to the GD line of RVs.
                            Mark & Ellen
                            2020 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Here is where I caulked along the outside of the track. It's not the prettiest job but it fixed the problem. I wouldn't caulk the shower side of the track because when water hits the door and goes down to the track, it is designed to drain back in to the shower. I figured out the leak by placing a towel on the floor between the shower and sink cabinet. When that got wet I could see how the water came out under the track. After caulk, the towel was dry! Hope this helps!
                              Mike & Michelle
                              2020 337RLS
                              2018 F350 SB diesel

Comment

Working...
                              X