Under Rear Sink Smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under Rear Sink Smell

All, I leave my grey valves closed until 3/4 full, but we are getting a definitely not black tank smell from under the rear bathroom sink? P-Trap has water and the sink drain doesn’t smell....but open the underside cabinet door where the pipes are and it stinks. 2020 3950BH
    Shane Green
    Full-Timer (+3 and 3 pets)
    2020 Solitude 3950BH - Andersen Fifth Wheel Hitch
    2020 F-350 Crew Cab DRW w/ 8' Bed

You probably have an AAV (air admittance valve) under the sink that is stuck open. It's a black vent under there that can be replaced and will get stuck.
    2021 Reflection 260RD
    2015 Ram 3500 cummins, dually, AISN tranny

Comment

Originally posted by ShaneGreen17 View Post
      All, I leave my grey valves closed until 3/4 full, but we are getting a definitely not black tank smell from under the rear bathroom sink? P-Trap has water and the sink drain doesn’t smell....but open the underside cabinet door where the pipes are and it stinks. 2020 3950BH
      Up under the sink in the cabinet there is an AAV valve attached to the sink drain pipe , air admittance valve. This valve may be bad or not screwed in properly. Search "AAV valve" in the search bar above and you will find posts and pictures to help you.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

To add to the AAV line of thought, when we had a bad smell in both the kitchen and bathroom, I found both AAVs screwed in so loosely they were about to fall out!

Rob
        Rob & Laura
        U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
        2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
        2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
        (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
        Full time since 08/2015

Comment

To add to the air admittance valve discussion. You can purchase a replacement from any home improvement store such as Lowes, Menards, or Home Depot. You'll find them in the plumbing section. I'm attaching a photo of the OEM AAV and Studor brand replacement I purchased at Lowes several years ago. In addition, I'm attaching a link for an AAV that you can purchase from Amazon for $23.19. Make sure you put a couple of wraps of Teflon tape on the threads when you install it.

https://smile.amazon.com/Studor-2034...s%2C216&sr=8-7

Click image for larger version

Name:	AAV.JPG
Views:	482
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	31111

Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Does not seem to be the AAV, I switched out the AAV from the front bathroom and the smell is still in the rear, but not in the front. It seems as though the smell is coming up from the hole in the floor the drain goes down. Is there a way to access down there without going in from underneath and dropping the weather guard? My assumption is that the drain came loose from the tank itself, but that is pure speculation at this point.
            Shane Green

Comment

Does anyone have the specs for where all the plumbing goes to on the 2020 3950BH?
              Shane Green

Comment

Does not seem to be the AAV, I switched out the AAV from the front bathroom and the smell is still in the rear, but not in the front. It seems as though the smell is coming up from the hole in the floor the drain goes down. Is there a way to access down there without going in from underneath and dropping the weather guard? My assumption is that the drain came loose from the tank itself, but that is pure speculation at this point.
                I wonder if a vent connection came loose. Give me a few minutes to get to my files (I'm at work so may get interrupted...yep...phone just rang gotta go...)
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Does anyone have the specs for where all the plumbing goes to on the 2020 3950BH?
                  Sorry--forgot to bring my portable drive with me. Hopefully Country Campers , TucsonJim or Cate&Rob will log in soon.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The smell that you are getting may be from a loose connection under the sink below the floor level. You may be able to see this where the sink drain enters the floor. If not you may need to drop the coroplast and inspect from the bottom. If still under warranty have your dealer do this , if they are trustworthy. Looking at the drawings that I have available the sink and shower drains drop thru the floor and forward to the grey tank that also services the outside sink.

Brian
                    Last edited by Country Campers; 10-03-2020, 05:37 PM. Reason: Wrong info on the original post
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

It would be nice if they just put an access hatch in the floor with a pull ring right above the tanks for easier accessibility
                      Shane Green

Comment

Well finally got this figured out after two trips to the dealer...the first time they tried to tell me it was because my grey and black tanks were dirty, they flushed them and said everything was good....

I know how to keep tanks clean and flush them once a week with clean water...needless to say the smell came back.

Took it in a second time and they tried to tell me the same thing, so I asked if I could crawl under there with the tech (loosely used monicker for this guy). I pointed directly to where the smell was coming from based on where the hole in the floor is and said follow this pipe to its grommet and then tell me nothing is wrong.

Imagine that, the customer is not always an idiot. The grommet had been pushed into the tank allowing for the smell to escape under the flooring and come up through the drainpipe hole.

haven’t had a smelly since
                        Shane Green

Comment

ShaneGreen17

Great that you got this sorted out. Yes sometimes the "Tech" moniker does not fit.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                          X