Recommendation on a Waste Tote Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation on a Waste Tote Tank

Does anyone have a recommendation for a RV Waste tote tank?

Looking around, I haven't really found much differences.
    • I see the SmartTote2 claims it has a vent cap that will block when the water level is full, so that you don't over fill it. (No mention of what happens to the water in the line)
    • I see that a lot of them have complaints on build quality (Tires coming off, but that could be because people drive too fast)
    My other big consideration is how to store this thing. I have a 2800BH, and it does not have a ladder.

I've seen people store them on the ladder, on the passthru, and I even saw some guy that uses the BAL underbelly spare tire holder to store it.

Thoughts?
    Mike
    2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

I think Neil ncitro just shared feedback and a link a few days ago to the one he uses. It has rubber tires.....hopefully Neal will chime in. Thanks, in advance Neal !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
      Does anyone have a recommendation for a RV Waste tote tank?

Looking around, I haven't really found much differences.
      • I see the SmartTote2 claims it has a vent cap that will block when the water level is full, so that you don't over fill it. (No mention of what happens to the water in the line)
      • I see that a lot of them have complaints on build quality (Tires coming off, but that could be because people drive too fast)
      My other big consideration is how to store this thing. I have a 2800BH, and it does not have a ladder.

I've seen people store them on the ladder, on the passthru, and I even saw some guy that uses the BAL underbelly spare tire holder to store it.

Thoughts?
      I have the Barker 42 gallon one. I did a bunch of research and everything I found said the Barker was the way to go. It comes with rubber air tires which I thought would hold up better. That said I put it in the back of the truck and pump the grey water up into it with my masceretor pump. It’s a fairly civilized process that works pretty well. Then I pull up to the dump station and empty it with my regular sewer hose. It could be towed behind the truck but I just feel like there’s a lot to go wrong lol.

Its a beast of a thing so I had my buddy the iron worker weld me up a rack to hold it under the rig in front of the spare. This way I carry it no matter where we’re going. I knew if I just brought it on trips that I knew I’d be dry camping I would inevitably need it and not have it. I’ve used it a few times now and it is great to have. I’ve also got a 40 gallon fresh bladder so I usually go to the dump station, empty the tote and fill the bag.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Here are some photos of where the carrier sits. I was intending to make it out of something light like conduit, but instead its probably the strongest part of the camper. My buddy is a heck of a welder, but I have never seen him do anything halfway. Hence my issue in the other thread about weight lol. It hinges at the back, so I pull the two pins on the sides and it pivots to the ground and pulls out on a ramp. There is a gap in the "floor (poly plastic sheet, most of the support comes from the sides) that the wheels sit in so it cannot come out and go anywhere.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

As has been discussed in other threads, the first limit that we reach is grey water capacity when camping on a site without sewer hook-up. We have all seen folks towing totes about the campground with their trucks . . . but, as Neil mentions, there are lots of ways for this to go wrong!

I found a tote that would fit in the space behind our 5th wheel hitch in the bed of the truck and that is where it is strapped down and lives. I pump the grey tank(s) into the tote with a macerator pump that attaches to the RV drain connection. Then off to dump station. I had to install an additional air inlet in the tote tank (I used a standard RV plumbing AAV) to keep it from collapsing while draining. Because of the height difference with the tote in the truck, it drains completely in about 30 seconds.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0320.jpg
Views:	865
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	31998Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0512.jpg
Views:	783
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	31999
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            As has been discussed in other threads, the first limit that we reach is grey water capacity when camping on a site without sewer hook-up. We have all seen folks towing totes about the campground with their trucks . . . but, as Neil mentions, there are lots of ways for this to go wrong!

I found a tote that would fit in the space behind our 5th wheel hitch in the bed of the truck and that is where it is strapped down and lives. I pump the grey tank(s) into the tote with a macerator pump that attaches to the RV drain connection. Then off to dump station. I had to install an additional air inlet in the tote tank (I used a standard RV plumbing AAV) to keep it from collapsing while draining. Because of the height difference with the tote in the truck, it drains completely in about 30 seconds.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0320.jpg
Views:	865
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	31998Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0512.jpg
Views:	783
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	31999
            Nice, I’m similar, I just run an orange garden hose from the pump to what is supposed to be a level indicator on the top of the tote. It’s got hose threads on it so I just take off the three inch cap on the top and watch the level. It’s bigger than my tank by a a couple gallons so there’s little chance of it filling anyway.

Neil Citro

Comment

Interesting. I am looking to purchase a tote but I like the idea of keeping it in the bed and pumping the grey wat to it. What is the model of that pump? Fittings?
              John and Lori
              2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
              2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

Originally posted by JHC View Post
                Interesting. I am looking to purchase a tote but I like the idea of keeping it in the bed and pumping the grey wat to it. What is the model of that pump? Fittings?
                Hi John,

The macerator pump that I use is part of a FloJet kit that came in a carrying case with necessary attachments and discharge hose. It connects directly to the standard RV drain attachment. I use a clear elbow as shown in the picture.The current version of this kit https://www.dyersonline.com/flojet-p...mp-system.html is certainly more "professional" looking (the brackets and exposed switch on mine are just they way the unit came from FloJet about 5 years ago) and the new version has a flush connection, but doesn't seem to include the discharge hose . . . as I understand the literature you now need a garden hose for the transfer from macerator pump to tote tank.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I just purchased this one in the 28 gal model. 2/3 full indicator on the RV and I can empty and not worry about needing to break my set up to go clean any tank. Camco Rhino

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K87FR5C...ing=UTF8&psc=1
                  Bill & Cindy
                  2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
                  2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                  SE Texas

Comment

Hi John,

The macerator pump that I use is part of a FloJet kit that came in a carrying case with necessary attachments and discharge hose. It connects directly to the standard RV drain attachment. I use a clear elbow as shown in the picture.The current version of this kit https://www.dyersonline.com/flojet-p...mp-system.html is certainly more "professional" looking (the brackets and exposed switch on mine are just they way the unit came from FloJet about 5 years ago) and the new version has a flush connection, but doesn't seem to include the discharge hose . . . as I understand the literature you now need a garden hose for the transfer from macerator pump to tote tank.

Rob
                    The pump Rob linked is the one I have used for probably 10 years. Works great, only thing I changed was I wired a trolling motor plug onto the end of it and wired in an outlet in my Nautilus panel so I could plug it in there. I tried to find a cigarette lighter outlet and could not find one that could handle the current.

It does have a built in flush line, but it is not needed for the grey water. I attach the pump to the sewer outlet on the rig, and have a Rhino garden hose that is orange and easy to tell so I do not use it for anything else by mistake. It goes from the pump up into the tote in the back of the truck. Have used it probably a dozen times with the tote and its great.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-RhinoFL.../dp/B06XGW1NGD

Neil Citro

Comment

ncitro
                      Hi Neil,
                      Re: Trolling Motor Plug . . . I did exactly the same thing. We do tend to approach a lot of things in the same way .
                      Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

ncitro
                        Hi Neil,
                        Re: Trolling Motor Plug . . . I did exactly the same thing. We do tend to approach a lot of things in the same way .
                        Rob
                        Great minds lol.

Had I to do over again I might have done an Anderson connector just because I have one in the truck now for charging and that is what is on the water pump I use to transfer fresh water from my bag into the trailer, but the trolling motor plug is installed and works so I have not messed with it.

Neil Citro

Comment

Hi John,

Rob
                          Thanks Rob. I will put it on my list. First. a tote.
                          John and Lori
                          2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
                          2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

Dredging up my own thread,

I see Neil and Rob are rocking 40 (ish) gallons, and Bill has 28 gallons.

Anyone else have a suggestion on Size?

We went last year without a portable tank, but there were a few times I didn't know if I had enough capacity. (The idiot lights indicated full on the gray tank, and full on the black, which is ridiculous, cause the brochure states I have 52 gal fresh tank, 71 Gray, and 39 black.)

My first trip (before I learned not to trust the idiot lights) I even broke camp on day 2 of a 2 night stay just to dump, and resetup.

I'm leaning towards the 28 gallon. I don't have a lot of storage, and my unit does not have a ladder, so no place to put it. (And no access to friends with wielders. :-) ). The 28 gallon would fit in the bed of the truck and at 32 lbs, not seriously contribute to my payload. (Backup is in the bike storage in the camper, but then it would be "inside" the camper, not desirable)

Mike
                            2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
                              Dredging up my own thread,

I see Neil and Rob are rocking 40 (ish) gallons, and Bill has 28 gallons.

Anyone else have a suggestion on Size?

We went last year without a portable tank, but there were a few times I didn't know if I had enough capacity. (The idiot lights indicated full on the gray tank, and full on the black, which is ridiculous, cause the brochure states I have 52 gal fresh tank, 71 Gray, and 39 black.)

My first trip (before I learned not to trust the idiot lights) I even broke camp on day 2 of a 2 night stay just to dump, and resetup.

I'm leaning towards the 28 gallon. I don't have a lot of storage, and my unit does not have a ladder, so no place to put it. (And no access to friends with wielders. :-) ). The 28 gallon would fit in the bed of the truck and at 32 lbs, not seriously contribute to my payload. (Backup is in the bike storage in the camper, but then it would be "inside" the camper, not desirable)
                              I have been surprised the number of times having a friend who is a welder has been handy lol.

I have a hard rule that I only use mine for grey (pretty easy since it tastes a long time to fill the black anyway), so with that it would be a bit less gross to manage a tote that was smaller than the tank. I would think a smaller one would be manageable. Potentially more trips to the dump station, but better than nothing. The 40 gallon is definitely a beast.

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                              X