Nautilis P4 Winterize not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nautilis P4 Winterize not working

Trying to winterize my 2020 Solitude 2930RL. It has the nautilus P4 system. I put switches to setting as shown on the system for winterize mode, but when I put short hose (3') into jug of RV antifreeze and turn on pump, less than a cup of antifreeze gets pulled into the system, then it stops sucking the antifreeze but the pump keeps running. If I turn on any faucets, it just sputters. All other faucets are off, including outside showers and low point drains. I raised the antifreeze jug up to make it easier to prime, but no change. I went back to dry camping mode and everything works proper. Any Ideas as what to look for?
    Thanks

Originally posted by Chuck48 View Post
    Trying to winterize my 2020 Solitude 2930RL. It has the nautilus P4 system. I put switches to setting as shown on the system for winterize mode, but when I put short hose (3') into jug of RV antifreeze and turn on pump, less than a cup of antifreeze gets pulled into the system, then it stops sucking the antifreeze but the pump keeps running. If I turn on any faucets, it just sputters. All other faucets are off, including outside showers and low point drains. I raised the antifreeze jug up to make it easier to prime, but no change. I went back to dry camping mode and everything works proper. Any Ideas as what to look for?
    Thanks
    Did you reverse the screen on the inlet? This thread has a lot of info (post 6 if from me showing the screen and inlet valve showing how it works). https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...erization-time

Even if you do everything 100% correct it can still be frustrating. If you need a laugh, here's one that documents my frustration with this task: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...erent-approach

Good luck--and please post back with the results!

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

You need to get the jug higher than the water pump in order for the pump to prime. Try putting the jug on a storage box or something. I did that before switching to an outboard motor winterizing kit which allows me to put 5-6 gallons of antifreeze in one container rather than having to switch bottles. Found it on Amazon for around $35.

Comment

You have gotten some good tips. What I do is prefill the hose, hold it up and cycle the water pump until it starts to pull it down, then fill the hose again and get it into the bottle. Bottle should be higher than the pump.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Chuck48

The discussions linked by Howard in post 4 are definitely worth a read, for more understanding of the process. The pump should have no problem pulling antifreeze from a jug that is at least as high as the fresh water tank. Your “sputtering” faucet indicates that the pump is trying to pump air (which it is not very good at). Either a pocket of air in the system from draining or blowing out lines before introducing antifreeze or an air leak in the suction connection between jug and pump.

As discussed in the linked threads, I do not drain or blow out the water lines first. Set the panel valves, place the intake jug and hose, open the outside shower cold water valve, start the pump. As the pump pushes out the water in the system, it draws in the antifreeze. It will sputter briefly as it gets through the air pocket that was in the suction hose, but this passes quickly. When antifreeze is flowing through the outside shower line, close this faucet and go faucet by faucet throughout the RV. Catch the water at each faucet with a bowl, but when antifreeze comes through let this go down each drain to winterize the P trap.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I haven't gone back and read the threads listed by howson so this may already be covered there. If the pump starts to draw from the jug and then stops it may be a collapsed suction line.
            John
            2018 Momentum 395M
            2018 Ram 3500 Dually
            Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
              I haven't gone back and read the threads listed by howson so this may already be covered there. If the pump starts to draw from the jug and then stops it may be a collapsed suction line.
              This is something that I had not thought of . . . but, is quite possible because the water lines to the pump are the soft wall hose. If there is restriction through the inlet check valve (the one that some turn over) this could cause the intake hose to collapse. Good catch John!

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks for responses. Finally got it to work. It appears that the pump wasn't priming, no air leaks as I originally suspected. I tried putting the jug of antifreeze up high and this din't work. Pump would just keep running and water would just be spurting out of any faucet I turned on. Tried reversing screen at water inlet like Howard suggested but no luck. I even crawled into pump area to check all the fittings on the Nautilus but they were all tight. I spent a good amount of time following and diagraming each hose fitting and switch so I could better understand what each of the four switches do. I finally decided that the pump was not able to overcome the check valve pressure at the water input connector. So I took and reversed the screen again to hold the check valve open, then as Yoda suggested, I was able to fill the hose using a turkey baster, and now that the check valve was open, was able to continue adding anti-freeze all the way to the pump. Turned on the pump and it filled the system then pump stopped. Went to each faucet, toilet, outside shower and low points and antifreeze flowed great. Also took outside shower and connected hose to it and then to blackwater flush and was able to put antifreeze in there. Finally, using my schematic I made, I was able to put some antifreeze in the fresh water tank line without going into hot water heater. Not sure why some RVs work ok and some don't Only other question I would have, do you relieve pressure off the system when your all done filling with antifreeze by breifly opening up low point drain or not? I imagine after a period of time the pressure will dissipate anyways. Next spring I may add a connector on the other side of the check valve to make it easier to introduce antifreeze into the system. I know we paid a pretty penny for these rigs, but fixing and modifying them is half the fun of camping!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck48 View Post
                  Next spring I may add a connector on the other side of the check valve to make it easier to introduce antifreeze into the system. I know we paid a pretty penny for these rigs, but fixing and modifying them is half the fun of camping!
                  You might find the threads in the Plumbing's Reference Material section interesting. Have you found it, yet? https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ce-material-ab There's Reference Material sections for a lot of the "channels" here--the moderators add to the collection as issues are documented or as recommended by forum members.

Finally, if you have a large pot of coffee brewing (it may take some time to read as I tend to be verbose) check out my "Soft Hose Replacement" thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...e-in-a-315rlts

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                  X