Low Point Water Drains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Point Water Drains

On my 22MLE, I have the hot and cold water drain lines under the trailer near the water heater. I would like to replace the 1/2" plugs with a 1/4 turn valve. I have only found brass/metal ones but I don't think it's a great idea to use since the female is plastic. Any suggestions?
    John and Lori
    2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
    2021 Imagine 22MLE

Originally posted by JHC View Post
    On my 22MLE, I have the hot and cold water drain lines under the trailer near the water heater. I would like to replace the 1/2" plugs with a 1/4 turn valve. I have only found brass/metal ones but I don't think it's a great idea to use since the female is plastic. Any suggestions?
    Nothing against 1/4 turn valves. I'm planning to use brass shark bite ball valves.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBit...00LF/202270642
    Last edited by Guest; 10-25-2020, 04:31 PM.

Comment

I've used the 1/4 turn valves now for awhile and they work fine. Super easy to install (even for a challenged plumber like me). Jim's recommendation is what I used for the fresh water vent shutoff--it also works well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	low point drains.JPG
Views:	4488
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	32805

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I used John Guest valves , they are plastic and have held up very nice. I have 2 1/2" valves for the low point drain and 1 3/4" valve for the fresh tank over flow. They are a little bit larger than the brass valves but I felt that being plastic and lighter was a better choice for me. I purchased 1/4 turn valves but I do not have a link to where I bought them from.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I've used the 1/4 turn valves now for awhile and they work fine. Super easy to install (even for a challenged plumber like me). Jim's recommendation is what I used for the fresh water vent shutoff--it also works well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	low point drains.JPG
Views:	4488
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	32805
          So you cut off the female and installed the 1/4 turn valves? How does the valve attach to the PVC pipe? I found several of those at HD but I didn't come across a straight valve like the ones you have.
          John and Lori
          2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
          2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

So you cut off the female and installed the 1/4 turn valves? How does the valve attach to the PVC pipe? I found several of those at HD but I didn't come across a straight valve like the ones you have.
            It’s PEX not PVC, the easiest is a shark bite valve that just goes onto the PEX, or there are valves that push onto the PEX and use a clamp and crimper to attach.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBit...00LF/202270613
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

JHC

You can leave the 1/2" female connection on the PEX pipe and just add a 1/4 turn valve with a 1/2" male connection , no cutting or clamps required. The valves available in metal will be fine.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks everyone.
                John and Lori
                2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
                2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

Hi John & Lori

Working with Pex plumbing is relatively easy and seems to be an all-to-common part of RV ownership. Simply cutting off the existing end caps and replacing these with valves attached with Pex clamps would be an easy introduction to 'RV plumbing". There are two types of clamp rings. The solid copper ones shown in Howard's howson picture or stainless steel like the original ones used by Grand Design. Either will work but require a different tool to install. A while ago, I put together the attached info on the tools required to work with RV plumbing. Part of this gets into dealing with the soft hose leaks (which is a whole other discussion ).

Having a few tools and a few spare parts on hand will ease dealing with any future plumbing issues.

Rob

Plumbing Tools & Parts.pdf
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I purchased these, and put them on last week.

Haven't driven anywhere with them yet, but so far I like them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083HTGFFG

Mike
                    2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Deleted by Owner
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Chipster; 03-05-2021, 08:44 AM.
                      Grand Design-Imagine
                      2021 (1st Edition) 2600RB

Comment

Originally posted by Chipster View Post
                        Hi All,

I got curious why a metal male fitting shouldn't go with a plastic/pvc female fitting...
                        YouTube told me it had to do with the different materials swelling.
                        Metal may crack the plastic/pvc
                        I can't imagine where this "advice" might come from . . . the plumbing world is full of plastic to metal connections of every kind and if done correctly, these connections are durable and permanent.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                        X