Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grey tank valve stuck open, Reflection 150 273MK.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grey tank valve stuck open, Reflection 150 273MK.

The handle on the nautilus panel can not be pushed in, tried lubricating still would not budge. Tried removing covering material underneath RV, still could not locate where valve assembly on Bathroom tank is located. Do you have any pictures showing location and how to access it correctly?

Al Smith

Originally posted by Ascssmith View Post
    The handle on the nautilus panel can not be pushed in, tried lubricating still would not budge. Tried removing covering material underneath RV, still could not locate where valve assembly on Bathroom tank is located. Do you have any pictures showing location and how to access it correctly?

Al Smith
    Hi Al,
    Welcome to the forum. The bathroom grey tank is located next to the black tank on your 273MK. The black tank is typically right under the toilet so the bathroom grey will be right next to the black tank.

Assuming a similar problem to what I experienced on my 315RLTS, the cable has rusted inside the sleeve of the Bristol valve mechanism. The only resolution (I found) is replacing the cable.

If you've got a full pot of coffee brewed (you may need it), consider reading the story here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...valves-315rlts

Also, consider reading the Welcome Letter so you can get the most from this forum! https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Welcome Ascssmith

See post #7 of this thread for a picture of a similar valve.
      https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...l-pun-intended

The cable makes a U turn going into the valve. On you model the gray tank appears to be on the drivers side. You can probably get to it buy releasing the coroplast along the edge for a ways. You don't say what year your rig is..

As a temporary solution get one of these and install on the end of the drain fitting https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now a possible solution I read on another RV forum. Take the handle off and insert a section of clear plastic 1/2 inch tubing over the threads at the bulkhead. Raise the tube up and spray in a good quantity of high quality penetrating oil (an inch or two in the tube) and wait a while. The clear tub will show you if it is getting into the cable. This should work if the outer sheath is secured inside the bulkhead fitting. I personally have not tried this, but it did work for a few others per the discussion.

Hope this helps
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda, thank you very much for the help and direction. Sorry it's a 2019 reflection 150 273MK

Comment

Ascssmith
          Hi Al,

Try twisting the handle side to side. If it moves (just a little bit) this will tell you that the valve is the stuck part. If it won’t twist at all, the shaft immediately behind the handle is likely seized in its guide. The cable seldom seizes in the sheath because it is a loose fit (unlike a brake cable). If the handle is seized, lubricating it as described should help. If the gate valve is seized, you are going to have to drop the underbelly to lubricate or replace the gate valve.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob thank you for that information, yes I can twist the handle about a 1/4 turn. I’m going to try this weekend the lubrication trick, if that doesn’t work I’ll pickup a 1.5” replacement valve and cable.

Al

Comment

Rob thank you for that information, yes I can twist the handle about a 1/4 turn. I’m going to try this weekend the lubrication trick, if that doesn’t work I’ll pickup a 1.5” replacement valve and cable.

Al
              Before picking up a 1-1/2" valve make sure you are getting the correct one and length of travel. Some of the gray tanks have the 3" valve and I have heard of some having the 1-1/2" valve. Also the brand of valve is important , they are not interchangeable.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Brian thanks, didn't know that about interchangeable issues. Guess I'll wait till I open up the underbelly and find out correct size and manufacturer... That's after I try the lubrication trick; cable and valve. As I've read that by putting oil into grey tank it can lubricate valve if that's what is stuck..

Al

Comment

Brian thanks, didn't know that about interchangeable issues. Guess I'll wait till I open up the underbelly and find out correct size and manufacturer... That's after I try the lubrication trick; cable and valve. As I've read that by putting oil into grey tank it can lubricate valve if that's what is stuck..

Al
                  Also for what it’s worth, when I replaced mine I trimmed the cables length. It’s been a while now but I remember it was fairly straightforward. There are recommendations about the number of bends and how tightly it can bend, cutting it made the travel much better.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Neil, thanks, yeah I’ve read that a lot of people trim cable length down and adhere to manufacture’s recommendation on bends.

Al

Comment

Al
                      If you'll take a few minutes and read through the post I linked it documents all of these issues and the "gotchas" you may run into trying to change a valve. I hope your trailer is easier to work on than mine.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Glad you responded, wanted to thank you for your in-depth article.... LOVED it.... I’m saving it for when I have to replace my cable/valve....

Al

Comment

Working...
                        X