2021 GD Transcend 221RB toilet clog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 GD Transcend 221RB toilet clog

We are on our first outing with our new trailer and are having problems with the toilet clogging repeatedly. Have followed owners manual guidelines. Using approved tp and flushing procedures. Black tank level indicator shows 1/2. I drained the tank, yet the clog remained. Look at YouTube videos for suggestions. Purchased a flex tube to put down the toilet opening. Alternated shoving the flex tube to breakup the clog and draining the black water tank and using the tank spray feature to attempt to flush the system. After several cycles it appeared that the toilet opening into the tank was clear and the fluid draining from the tank was clear. Added chemicals to assist in breaking down solids and added water to the tank as per suggested. Problem solved? No! This morning the same condition repeated. Went through the same exercise as before until all appears correct. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by Fred B View Post
    We are on our first outing with our new trailer and are having problems with the toilet clogging repeatedly. Have followed owners manual guidelines. Using approved tp and flushing procedures. Black tank level indicator shows 1/2. I drained the tank, yet the clog remained. Look at YouTube videos for suggestions. Purchased a flex tube to put down the toilet opening. Alternated shoving the flex tube to breakup the clog and draining the black water tank and using the tank spray feature to attempt to flush the system. After several cycles it appeared that the toilet opening into the tank was clear and the fluid draining from the tank was clear. Added chemicals to assist in breaking down solids and added water to the tank as per suggested. Problem solved? No! This morning the same condition repeated. Went through the same exercise as before until all appears correct. Any suggestions?
    Good morning Fred, and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, this is a problem that many of us have gone through. Fortunately, since we've "been there, done that", we have experience in dealing with it. You appear to have found how to get it cleared once the clog happens, but let me offer some suggestions on how to avoid it in the future.

The biggest action you can take to prevent this in the future is to use more water when flushing. If there are any solids in the bowl such as paper or human waste, you have to dilute them much more than you'd think to keep them from stacking up under the pipe into the holding tank. My recommendation is that you fill the bowl 2/3 full of water anytime you want to flush solids. This will be the number one way to keep a clog from forming.

Another recommendation is to put 2-3 gallons of water into the tank before you use it. This will allow those solids to disperse through the tank instead of just dropping right below the toilet and staying there.

Finally, you may want to check into a TP that is RV friendly. Take a couple of sheets of your TP and put them into a sealed jar of water. Wait a few minutes and shake the jar. If the tissue is dissolved, it's good to use in the RV. If not dissolved, switch to another brand.

I hope this helps prevent future clogs for you.

Edit: I forgot to mention that those RV sensors that tell you how full the tank is are notoriously inaccurate. So don't depend on them too much.

Jim.

P.S. Since this is your first visit, you might want to check out this thread to make maneuvering around the forum a little easier.
    https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Fred B -- another technique I learned from neighbors is to not put anything in the black tank other than human waste. All paper products -- everything -- goes in a waste pail lined with a plastic bag and is emptied regularly (along with the other trash in the camper). Combine this with Jim's tips (extra water, etc) and you probably won't have any problems.

Your first post doesn't specify--are you also adding a holding tank treatment each time you dump the black tank?

Quick synopsis of my process:

1) Dump black tank with black tank flush running. (I assume your trailer has one, too.)
      2) When black appears to have emptied, except for the continuing water from the black tank flush that is still running, dump gray tank(s).
      3) When grays are empty, close gray tank valves. Turn off black tank flush.
      4) When (now mostly clear) water stops running out of the camper, close the black tank valve.
      5) Turn the black tank flush back on and add ~4 to 5 gallons of water. (I use a water meter so I know how much is added. See pic below.)
      6) Add capful of holding tank treatment to the black tank via the toilet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	water meter.JPG
Views:	835
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	35512
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Any suggestions?
        I keep this device (Camco Dual Flush Pro) attached to my RV at all times.
        https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you get a plugged black tank and you have the Camco Dual Flush Pro attached, do the following:
        - Close your gray tank valve(s)
        - Open your black tank valve
        - Attach a hose to the Dual Flush Pro
        - Close the gate valve on the Dual Flush Pro
        - Turn on the water that is attached to the Dual Flush Pro

This will simply push water back up into the black tank and clear the blockage. It does take a couple minutes to get water back up the sewer pipe and into the black tank. But, it works great, is easy and is NOT messy.

As for helping to prevent blockages, others here have touched on the high points.
        - After emptying the black tank, add 2-3 gallons of water
        - As much as possible, try to empty the tank only when it's full - and ignore the gauges!
        - Use LOTS of water when using the toilet

We have used many different types of toilet paper and have seen no difference as far as blockages so we use whatever we can find in stock which isn't easy right now. We only use chemicals (actually water softener and Dawn dish soap) on travel days to help clean the tank while driving.

One thing I've noticed is the plumbing design for each RV model seems to make a difference. We got a couple blockages on our Reflection 5th wheel. We got several on our Solitude 373FB. We've had none on our Solitude 310GK. Same toilet papers (mainly Kirkland), same people, same emptying and cleaning process. The first time I had a black tank plugged it freaked me out. Now that I have this Camco Dual Flush device, I have zero fears because it's a simple ten minute fix.

EDIT: - I should add this Camco Dual Flush Pro is marketed as a device that flushes out your black tank. It will NOT flush out your black tank! What it will do is unplug it and also prevent fluids from surprising you when you open the sewer cap.
        Last edited by bertschb; 11-22-2020, 09:51 AM.
        Brian & Kellie
        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Fred B My best improvement so far was to put a bidet seat on the RV toilet. It kills two birds with one stone, puts more water in the bowl and I use less paper. I switched the toilets at home a few years ago when my back went out and love it.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

We are on our first outing with our new trailer and are having problems with the toilet clogging repeatedly.
            Since I have a 22MLE which is somewhat similar, I read through the thread but of course, I'm fuzzy on the clogging thing. Can you maybe expound on what exactly is clogging?

Thanks in advance.

Robert and Chris
            2021 XLS 22MLE (somewhat factory stock)
            2018 Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab

Comment

Fred
              Welcome to the site.
              You have gotten some very good advice. I am going to offer a suggestion that has worked well for me for years. After emptying the tank, pre-charge it with 1 cup Dawn dish soap and 5 gallons of water. I have found Dawn works best. Then rock the house to slosh the mixture around the tank. the Dawn will slick things up.

Then as mentioned use plenty of water and the correct TP. There are Youtube videos on the subject, but basic Charmin dissolved very quickly.

Now if the issue still is with you, have you dealer bore scope how far the entrance pipe is stuck into the tank. There have been reports on other models that the entrance pipe extends too far into the tank - something to check.

Hope this helps
              Happy travels and stay safe.

Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thanks for the sage advice on dealing with our clogging problem. I appreciate the feedback and am sure it will prove helpful.

Comment

ncitro and wygieman -- great inputs and question about a bidet. It's a subject worthy of it's own thread (the bidet install) so please document here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-bidet-install

-Howard

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hello Fred

Although your post was quite some time ago, I CAN RELATE!

We have been out in our Transcend 240ML twice and twice the toilet has clogged!

On our second trip, I used a lot of water and little toilet paper with the hopes of not having a clog this time around. No go!

I am using the same toilet paper I used in my Rockwood for 11 years and never had a problem. For this reason, I am suspect of the design and/or craftsmanship of the toilet plumbing in our GD. I wonder about the entrance pipe Yoda mentioned.

Sadly our camper is at the dealer right now because we have several issues that need to be addressed; including the clogged toilet. Once I get feedback/a fix from the dealer, I will post again for the benefit of all.

I hope you were able to continue your journeys without further incident.

Comment

Hiking Girl - Welcome to the forum!

Jim
                      Jim and Ginnie
                      2024 Solitude 310GK
                      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Hiking Girl Welcome to the family and the technical forum! Is it backing up into the toilet or a problem dumping? There have been reports of the 3" pipe having been seated too deeply in the tanks and not allowing semi-solids to migrate into the tank and backing up into the toilet. The design and craftsmanship of the toilet is pretty much the same throughout each line as they all pretty much work the same way, but your dealer should be able to get things flowing for you.
                        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                        Nash County, NC
                        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

It was backing up into the toilet. At this time, the dealer is telling me they can't replicate the problem. I don't know if they scoped the toilet or not. I forgot to ask, but will!
                          I was wondering about the pipe too.

Comment

Originally posted by Hiking Girl View Post
                            At this time, the dealer is telling me they can't replicate the problem.
                            I hate you're having problems and I hope you get it solved but......

I'm wondering just how they tried to replicate the problem. What did they do, have everyone in the shop do their morning business in your camper? Short of that how are they going to replicate the problem.................

Charles and Susan
                            2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
                            Andersen Hitch
                            2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Originally posted by ckreef View Post

I hate you're having problems and I hope you get it solved but......

I'm wondering just how they tried to replicate the problem. What did they do, have everyone in the shop do their morning business in your camper? Short of that how are they going to replicate the problem.................
                              I TOTALLY agree and expressed that to the dealer.
                              Bottom line is they didn't scope it and don't plan to! :(

We had 14 other issues they were attending to so my focus has switched [we need a new fridge and they are backordered!].
                              At this time, I'm going to cross my fingers with the toilet and work to have some kind of fridge for our upcoming trip.

Thank you for your contribution.
                              ~ Kathy

Comment

Working...
                              X