Replacing the Soft Hose in a Reflection 312BHTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Another way to transition from soft hose to Pex pipe to eliminate the soft hose to Pex fitting drip leak.
    The 1/2" polybutylene side is a tight fit to the 1/2" soft hose used by Grand Design, but will fit.
    This idea comes from Colancolan

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.jpeg
Views:	742
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	37460
    This is exactly what I did last year when I put in the water filter in the kitchen. I went with the fitting the Rob is showing to transition from soft hose to pex to eliminate the potential pex/soft hose drip in the kitchen. I also have several of these along with pex pipe, tools and pex fittings in my kit of parts in the trailer in case of a leak.

Another Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

I was thinking about using this polybutylene to pex adapter myself to fix a leak on the soft hose, but I'm wondering what pex pinch clamp you used on the polybutylene adapter? I've been trying to get the 1/2 pex pinch clamp on the hose attached and cannot seem to get it on. Any ideas?
      Attached Files
      2019 F150 SuperCrew Lariat w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
      2021 Imagine 2400BH
      BlueOx TrackPro w/ 1000lb
      RoadMaster Active Suspension

Comment

Originally posted by Mhastings14 View Post
        I was thinking about using this polybutylene to pex adapter myself to fix a leak on the soft hose, but I'm wondering what pex pinch clamp you used on the polybutylene adapter? I've been trying to get the 1/2 pex pinch clamp on the hose attached and cannot seem to get it on. Any ideas?
        I tried to get a standard 1/2" PEX pinch clamp and a standard PEX clamp on to one of my soft hoses and it simply did not fit. I had a few pinch clamps that GDRV had given me, and they did fit.

Here are the markings on the pinch rings I received from GDRV:

1st line: c NSF us PW
        2nd line: 17.5 PEXOET

When I look on line, this seems like it may be the same thing.
        https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Ste...01GE1DOBA?th=1

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I thought this might have been the solution I was looking for, but I went downstairs to and I see the markings on the fitting you mentioned. I did see those markings on the GD fitting, but I also saw the same engraving on my ApollogPEX fitting clamps from Home Depot. There must, however, be some difference though. I may have to call Grand Design and ask. If the marking says 17.5 that means it is for a 17.5mm opening I believe. I measured the OD of the soft hose to be 17.7mm so it should fit? This is driving me nuts.

Edit: An RV repair van at our campground suggested we heat the soft hose first. I tried this in previously boiling water and bingo, the pex fitting went on. So I'm thinking of using the polyb to pex adapter and then using the 1/2 pex clamp on that.
          Last edited by Mhastings14; 01-03-2021, 07:37 PM.
          2021 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

What is the resistance to just using a hose clamp on this hose connection? One of the benefits of a screw type hose clamp is that it can subsequently be tightened further if need be, after installation.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Sorry for the late reply. At my industrial workplace these types of worm gear clamps are banned because of previous leaks and cutting into hose problems. I guess my hesitation has to do with this being engrained in my head. I’m probably over thinking I’m sure but I guess I figured there had to be a more permanent type solution. For example, if this was used in your house behind a cabinet I’m wondering how comfortable I would be . But I understand there is a difference and many other people have used this with success.
              2021 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

Mhastings14
                Fair point on “who would use a worm gear hose clamp In a permanent installation behind a cabinet?” . . . but, the real question is “who would use braided soft hose in a perrmanent installation behind a cabinet?” The worm gear hose clamp is the right clamp for the hose, but neither should be part of a “permanent” pressurized water system (in my opinion).

The soft hose is going to squeeze out from under any type of clamp (particularly on the hot water side). There are many examples of this. If the clamp can’t be tightened to accommodate this, the connection will leak.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Good points indeed. Thank you for everyone’s help. This has been my first issue that I’ve wrote about on the forum, but I can tell this site is going to be a lot of help in the future. Hopefully I can give back to what I’ve learned as well on different issues.
                  2021 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Just a caution on using the OE hose for connections to the water pump . . . some have reported that pump suction can collapse this hose. Another alternative is to adapt the Pex to 3/4" hose connections and use washing machine hoses which are flexible but have a heavier wall construction. I use two "coils" of pre-fabricated washing machine hose for good vibration isolation. I also use vibration isolation mounts on the feet of the pump.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2706.jpg
Views:	1189
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	36054Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2460.jpg
Views:	1132
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	36055
                    Rob, when you can finally escape from Candaland, you'll have to come down and take care of all my rubber hoses. howson and I will goof around with the One Control system. I'll provide steaks and libations.
                    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                    2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                    2020 Momentum 351M
                    2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Working...
                    X