Cold weather camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold weather camping

We are heading out this weekend for a few days of needed decompression. Sunny days but the nights will dip below freezing (20-25F). Do folks disconnect the fresh water hose and drain, then hook it back up in the morning? I was thinking of getting a heat tape but I would need a 30' one.
    John and Lori
    2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
    2021 Imagine 22MLE

Originally posted by JHC View Post
    We are heading out this weekend for a few days of needed decompression. Sunny days but the nights will dip below freezing (20-25F). Do folks disconnect the fresh water hose and drain, then hook it back up in the morning? I was thinking of getting a heat tape but I would need a 30' one.
    I would be sure you have water in the freshwater tank. So you have water when disconnected. Disconnect hose from the rig before turning in for the night. Be sure to bring in your water filter out as it can freeze and will crack. If you are there for only a few days you should be able to fill your tank and not even worry about the hose.

Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

I agree with just using water from the fresh tank onboard. Also remember to use the furnace as this will supply heat to the under belly to keep all of your tanks and water lines from freezing. Enjoy the cold temps and have fun.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks. This will be the first time we use the fresh water tank.
        John and Lori
        2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
        2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

On a side note if you are filling then traveling to your campground you may lose some of your fresh water. It has been known to syphon out of the fresh tank overflow pipe. Many of us have installed a valve on the overflow to prevent water lose while traveling. If you are filling after getting to the campground you should be ok. If you add the valve make sure it is open when filling and using , closed when traveling.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Per Brian's post--Jim's "Revisited" thread may be of interest if you haven't seen it: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...flow-revisited

Also, since you're using the tank for the first time don't forget to sanitize prior to use. Informative thread here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...esh-water-tank
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

If you haven't used your freshwater that may mean you haven't tried your water pump. Be sure to put some water in before you leave and try out the water pump. We always have about 1/3 (15 gallons) in our tank when we travel so we can use our TT restroom at rest areas or wherever we need to stop.
              Mike & Lisa
              Central Florida
              2021 Imagine 2970RL
              1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

You will also want to sanitize your fresh water tanks before heading out. Your owner manual should contain instructions on how to do this. I use bleach and to help get rid of the taste I do a second "sanitizing" with white vinegar.

Another item that I don't see mentioned above is if you have tank heaters turn them on.
                John
                2018 Momentum 395M
                2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I need to sanitize but we don't plan on cooking/drinking the water this go around. It's mainly for shower and toilet should it get below freezing.
                  John and Lori
                  2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
                  2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

Thanks everyone. I need to sanitize but we don't plan on cooking/drinking the water this go around. It's mainly for shower and toilet should it get below freezing.
                    Sanitizing the tank can be a false security . . . particularly when travelling and getting water from many different sources. We use tank water only for washing and flushing. Bottled water for cooking and drinking.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob -- agree 100%. Any water we consume (including brushing teeth) comes from a Birkey when camping. The DW has a large Birkey in the house and a small one for the RV. All of our consumed water gets filtered.
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

We have city water where we live. We sanitize the tanks in spring time and run our city water (also chlorinated) as the only water in the tanks. When temps get below freezing we either unhook the hose and use our home water in the tank. Or we leave the hose attached and let water trickle in the sink with the gates closed.
                        2020 GD 320G
                        2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyB View Post
                          Or we leave the hose attached and let water trickle in the sink with the gates closed.
                          This has been a recipe for disaster for many. It is amazing how a “ trickle” will completely fill and overflow a closed tank over night.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

This has been a recipe for disaster for many. It is amazing how a “ trickle” will completely fill and overflow a closed tank over night.

Rob
                            Maybe I should had used the term drip instead of a trickle. Easy enough to put a gallon container under the faucet and see how much fills in an hour. 1-2 gallon an hour shouldn't be an issue for overnight. This is obviously assuming you have full hookup and can dump the water in the morning.
                            2020 GD 320G
                            2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

For just a few days I would do the fill the tank in the day and disconnect method. We spend months in some sub-zero weather. I have owned several heated water hoses and have taped several up with heat tape. They all require quite a bit of work and extra thought.

Do pay attention to your sewer system, are the valves in a heated area? If not, you may consider insulation/heating them. Make sure you drain hose drains completely and doesn't have any low spots.
                              2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
                              2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
                              E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
                              Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Working...
                              X