Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low-point drains in 22MLE drain water heater too?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low-point drains in 22MLE drain water heater too?

Not new to winterizing, but new to our 2021 22MLE. While winterizing I pulled the plugs on the two low-point drains, then went to drain the water heater. But no water came out of the water heater (even with the pressure relief valve pulled). Was it drained from the low-point drains? I've heard of units that do that but didn't know if it was true of the 22MLE. The low-point drains are located right next to the water heater.
    2021 Imagine 22MLE
    2006 Chevy 1500HD

I have to open a hot water faucet valve to get mine to drain. I installed a pet**** to make it easier but still open the faucet or it will not drain.
    Bill & Cindy
    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
    SE Texas

Comment

There have been other posts of the water heater draining using the low point drains so it could have happened. Did you have a hot water faucet open when you removed the plugs?
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
        There have been other posts of the water heater draining using the low point drains so it could have happened. Did you have a hot water faucet open when you removed the plugs?
        No, I didn't have a hot water faucet open. Didn't need to on our previous trailer, so it wasn't on my radar. Makes me wonder if I should go back and try that "just to be sure."
        2021 Imagine 22MLE
        2006 Chevy 1500HD

Comment

Originally posted by jerrycrosby@gmail.com View Post

No, I didn't have a hot water faucet open. Didn't need to on our previous trailer, so it wasn't on my radar. Makes me wonder if I should go back and try that "just to be sure."
          Yes - to have the drains work correctly - at least on my rig, you need the faucets open. You here them sucking air as they drain
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

If you don't have a check valve on the hot side outlet of the water heater it'll empty through the low point drain. Or open the cold low point drain and pull the lever on the TP valve.
            2017 Imagine 2650 & 2019 F-250 (Got tired of the F-150)

Comment

I too am new to the 22mle after fifteen years of camping in other makes. When I pulled the plug and opened the relief valve my tank drained. I cannot imagine any scenario that it would not, air in water out, so it must have already been drained. Opening a water faucet should not be necessary to drain the tank if the relieve valve is open but is necessary to drain the low point lines. However, I would never trust draining the HW tank using the low point lines as some have suggested. It is not that hard to pull the plug on the tank and be sure. In other words if you pulled the plug and opened the relief valve you are good.
              Burt & Pat. '21 Imagine XLS 22MLE, '20 F150 3.5 EB Blue Ox SwayPro WDH

Comment

trubkrob , Burt, I just had a "duh" moment when I went to straighten a piece of metal on the water heater door. Relief valve right in front of me and never noticed or looked until you mentioned it.
                Bill & Cindy
                2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
                2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by trubkrob View Post
                  However, I would never trust draining the HW tank using the low point lines as some have suggested.
                  I'm curious, since I'm one of those that suggest using the low point to drain the hot water tank, what exactly is it you'd never trust about the alternative? The cold inlet into the heater is tied directly to a low point drain via a water line.

I am far from a plumbing expert, but having gone through every inch of plumbing on my 315RLTS I can say with some authority the only difference in the process (if draining the water is the goal) by using the low point drain is not having to remove the water heater's drain plug. As I've installed 1/4 turn valves on my low point drains the process is fast and simple. Just did it this morning--for the umpteenth time--and works flawlessly.

Please understand this is not criticism of those that choose to uses the drain plug or some other variant to accomplish the same task.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard, I am sorry if I offended anyone with my post. I have a tendency not to trust anything these old eyes cannot see and I prefer to see the water coming out of the tank and that gives me comfort.

Burt

Burt & Pat. '21 Imagine XLS 22MLE, '20 F150 3.5 EB Blue Ox SwayPro WDH

Comment

Howard, I am sorry if I offended anyone with my post. I have a tendency not to trust anything these old eyes cannot see and I prefer to see the water coming out of the tank and that gives me comfort.

Burt

I have tried all manners of draining my water heater with the low point drains to no success. I also remove the plug to drain my water heater , its the only way for me to drain.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

It's really effortless to pull the plug on the hot water tank with a half inch drive ratchet a universal joint and a shallow socket. Once its drained and winterized the plug can be re-installed where some prefer to leave the plug out until spring. Some also take advantage to flush out the tank with a special wand while the plug is removed. One troubling item I did run across was a small leak at the plug due to the parting line on the plug. So installation now includes a couple wraps of Teflon tape.

Jim

Comment

Burt

No offense taken--for all I know you could be a Master Plumber with five decades of experience and I'd learn something by asking.

While I don't disagree with you, Guest about the length of time to remove the plug, I drain the hot water every time I tow to remove ~50 lbs of water weight over the tire carrying the most weight (front, street side). Besides the hot water spilling down the side of the camper and tendency of the plug to cross-thread and/or leak, I assure you it is much faster and less prone to issues to just open a 1/4" turn low point drain valve for my purposes.

Bottom line--there's many options on how to drain a water heater.

Howard
                          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

No offense taken--for all I know you could be a Master Plumber with five decades of experience and I'd learn something by asking.

While I don't disagree with you, Guest about the length of time to remove the plug, I drain the hot water every time I tow to remove ~50 lbs of water weight over the tire carrying the most weight (front, street side). Besides the hot water spilling down the side of the camper and tendency of the plug to cross-thread and/or leak, I assure you it is much faster and less prone to issues to just open a 1/4" turn low point drain valve for my purposes.

Bottom line--there's many options on how to drain a water heater.

Howard
                            Understand Howard,

I've not loaded up my rig to worry about such things so I will pull the plug once per year. Also one inadvertent flip of the electrical switch and the heating element will be gone where I do not want be bothered with flipping the breaker each time after filling. A member here mentioned using an inexpensive wand to flush out the tank which seemed like and easy task once the plug is removed. My tank is located in the back of the rig on the right side.

To your point, the pet**** would work well if needed, but its something that is not critical for my rig.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                            X