Holding Tank Leak - Need Suggestions for Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holding Tank Leak - Need Suggestions for Repair

I currently have my underbelly dropped to clean up the plumbing, wiring, and furnace duct work. while inspecting the belly of the beast, I found a leak in one of my gray tanks. After uttering five minutes of sailor talk, I decided I needed to fix it. It's a slow leak at one of the electrical attachment points. Evidently, it's been leaking for quite a while due to the residue I found on the coroplast.

Your humble moderator has never encountered this type of leak before, and I don't want to do something that will cause me to utter ten minutes of sailor talk. My first inclination is to remove the outer nut and sensor wire, then try tightening the inner nut. But I'm afraid if I do this, it might damage the connection and cause it to pop out or leak even more. Another option would be to just epoxy the whole darn thing in the hopes that epoxy would stop the leak.

Have any of you ever worked on one of these and have suggestions for repair? I'm attaching some pics for your amusement... And while your entertained with the photos, maybe you might have a suggestion on what the red residue around the sensor is?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank Leak 1.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	38436

Name:	Tank Leak 2.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	38437
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

TucsonJim
    Hi Jim,

The probes are really inexpensive. I would be inclined to replace all of them. https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Treatmen.../T21302VP.html. Tightening the inner nut might work, but if the rubber expansion grommet is deteriorated, this might not work. There are also better design probes that might be worth considering.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Jim

Here is a picture of the inside of the tank and sensors.

Name:	20191118_145440.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	38445

It seems if you were to remove the outside nut and wire , I have done this with out a problem while untangling wires. You may be able to tighten the nut by carefully holding the threaded stud. If you can not hold the get it tightened that way you may have to reach in the tank and hold the inner part. I know this may not be the best idea but is all I can think of. I think all you need is a little more crush on the outside rubber gasket.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks guys. Brian, that photo is perfect. I should be able to tighten it from the outside. I just didn't want to crank on it without knowing what the other side looked like.

Much appreciated.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

TucsonJim

Jim it looks like there is enough post to add another nut after loosening the electrical nut and using the added nut as a jamb nut. This way you could use a jamb nut approach while tightening the nut that clamps the rubber gasket.

Jim

Comment

Good morning. Jim, this may be farfetched but the red residue might be dried antifreeze. It looks very similar to some red stuff I found where there was a very small hose leak noticed when I winterized my rig last year. Just a guess on my part.
            Mark & Ellen
            2020 Reflection 337RLS
            2019 RAM 3500 Mega Cab SRW

Comment

Happy New Year everyone. I was able to resolve the leak.

I removed the outer nut and the wire. Then, I held the stud with my fingers while tightening the inner nut. It was very loose. I snugged it up which compressed the rubber grommet which stopped the leak. I filled the holding tank with water and let it sit for 48 hours with no drips.

Now, it's time to reinstall the underbelly.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Working...
              X