Another hot water tank check valve failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another hot water tank check valve failure

Last night at about 11 PM one of my water leak detectors started screaming. It turned out it was the one for the hot water tank. As I couldn't do anything that late I just turned the water off and relieved the pressure.
    This morning when I had a look, sure enough, the hot outlet was dripping pretty steadily from the check valve. Coincidentally I had a brass replacement in my Amazon cart but hadn't got around to ordering yet!
    Made a quick trip to the local hardware store and picked up a 1/2" nipple and got things fixed temporarily.
    The part that pi$$es me off though is the piece of crap that Suburban puts in these at the factory. The OEM check valve didn't crack or split, the way it is manufactured almost guarantees that it will leak eventually! If you look at the attached photo, you can see the threads have molded in flats and 2 molded in dimples right at the point where the threads need to seal as tight as possible.
    My leak detectors paid for themselves many times over last night! If this had continued unnoticed, it would have soaked my furnace and no doubt cost me several hundred bucks!
    -
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
    Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Originally posted by KamFlyer View Post
    . . . that Suburban puts in these at the factory . . .
    Water alarms are definitely worth the cost! Mine have alerted me to problems, several times.

Just a comment on blaming Suburban for this part . . . the check valve is a requirement of the Nautilus water panel. Installations with Suburban water heaters and other water control systems do no have this check valve. I don't know for sure who installs this check valve, but I doubt that it is Suburban.

Rob

Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

I don't know for sure who installs this check valve, but I doubt that it is Suburban.

Rob
      Interesting. I had heard it was installed by Suburban. If not, my apologies to them.
      -Rob-
      -
      2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink

Comment

KamFlyer and Cate&Rob -- agree 100% with having water alarms. Super cheap insurance to guard against the sworn enemy of our RVs (water leaks). The alarms I have have gone off three times, and all three were legitimate leaks.

I'm pretty sure it was one of your posts from way-back-when, Rob, that got me to buy them in the first place!

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
          ...agree 100% with having water alarms. Super cheap insurance to guard against the sworn enemy of our RVs (water leaks).
          Just ordered some. Can't wait to crawl back behind the basement wall!
          Brian & Kellie
          2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
          2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
          2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
          2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Any suggestions or links to which water alarms are the most efficient? thanks.
            2020 Reflection 273MK
            2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
              Search for the word "Govee" and there are five threads with documentation/comments about water alarms.

FYI, "Govee" is the name of the brand I chose--Honeywell (with a lead) is what Cate&Rob uses (but he recently said is discontinued?).
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
                We use these ones. The sensor can be remoted up to 6' from the head.

Grrr! For some reason I can't get the link to work or edit it. Search Amazon for First Alert WA100-3 Water Alarm for Leak Detection and Flood Alerts, 3-Pack

Last edited by KamFlyer; 12-24-2020, 11:32 AM.
                -

Comment

We use these ones. The sensor can be remoted up to 6' from the head.
                  Rob - The link is just to the Amazon home page.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Rob - The link is just to the Amazon home page.

Jim
                    Yea. For some reason the editor wouldn't let me put in the full link. Just defaulted to the Amazon home page. And I couldn't edit or remove it either!
                    I just edited the post to describe the Amazon item.
                    -

Comment

Yea. For some reason the editor wouldn't let me put in the full link. Just defaulted to the Amazon home page. And I couldn't edit or remove it either!
                      I just edited the post to describe the Amazon item.
                      Let me try:
                      https://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-W...11&s=hi&sr=1-4

Jim
                      Jim and Ginnie
                      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                        That worked. No idea why it wouldn't work for me.
                        Thanks
                        -

Comment

Working...
                        X