Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendation for high quality water flow meter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation for high quality water flow meter?

I purchased a water flow meter from Amazon earlier this year. Based on poor reviews, I handled it with kid gloves but it still stopped working after only a couple months of use. The digital display works, it just doesn't show any water passing through it. Has anybody found a good quality water flow meter?
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Brian - not certain how high the quality is on this one (Save A Drop) that my BIL and I bought (Rob Cate&Rob uses it as I recall and he recommended it a few years ago) but the ratings are pretty good. I have not used mine much but suspect that Rob has used his considerably over the years.

This was the reading on how much water got in my 54 gallon fresh tank during the first use so it seemed that the accuracy is/was pretty good.

Dan
    Last edited by Canyonlight; 01-07-2021, 05:49 PM.
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

bertschb
      Hi Brian,

The one that I have been using for several years now is an inexpensive one by Orbit https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-56854-H.../dp/B0187BOFD6 . It continues to work well (I think I replaced the battery once). I actually run it “backwards” because this puts the display upright in my application. I checked it both ways (easy to do with a 5 gal pail) and it is equally accurate either way.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob

Hi Rob,
        The Orbit brand is the one I had that stopped working. Since they all seem to have poor ratings, I'll just give the Orbit another shot. I'll buy a couple of them so I have a back up.

Canyonlight
        Thanks for the recommendation Dan. Since I can't seem to find a meter with an average customer rating above 65%, I guess I'll just keep buying the cheap ones :-)
        Brian & Kellie
        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Brian

I had looked at this DIGITEN Water Flow Control Meter LCD Display Controller+G1/2" Water Hall Sensor Flow Meter Flowmeter Counter 1-30L/min+G1/2" Solenoid Valve Normally Closed N/C+DC 12V Power Adapter: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific for another project that I was thinking about but did not pursue , yet. It seems to have the ability to turn the water off with the solenoid and also monitor water usage. Again i have not purchased or used this so I do not have any opinion on it.

Brian ( the other one)
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
            Cate&Rob

Hi Rob,
            The Orbit brand is the one I had that stopped working. Since they all seem to have poor ratings, I'll just give the Orbit another shot. I'll buy a couple of them so I have a back up.

Canyonlight
            Thanks for the recommendation Dan. Since I can't seem to find a meter with an average customer rating above 65%, I guess I'll just keep buying the cheap ones :-)
            These things are generally trash. I order them a couple at a time at least once a year. Luckily they are cheap, but they are useful.
            2017 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
              Cate&Rob

Hi Rob,
              What can I say . . . I have been using the same one for 3 or 4 years and it continues to work well. I check it's calibration whenever I fill a pail to wash the truck or whatever. "Murphy's Law" says that I now better go buy another one because this one will probably quit tomorrow . . .

Rob

Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Maybe I'll try running my non-functioning model backwards and see if that fixes it.

Update:
                Running it backwards didn't help BUT, I moved the blades inside the meter with a tiny pick and now it works! I originally used my air compressor to see if I could get the blades to spin but they didn't. That's when I figured the blades must be "stuck". Now I'll have two backups.
                Last edited by bertschb; 01-08-2021, 11:52 AM.
                Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Working...
                X