Water hot then cold during shower on pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water hot then cold during shower on pump

Today during my shower, on the pump...50 degrees this am, shower decides it wants to pump scolding hot then freezing cold alternating the entire shower!! Holy frijoles! That sucked. I guess it has been happening since new, today was the first morning it dipped so cold to notice that I needed to use full hot. Never had this problem with my beloved heartland. Just add it to the list!

Check your outside spray port connection. There is a hot/cold , just like a sink , controls. If these are open this will cause your symptoms. I am not sure but you may also have a hot water heater bypass for winterization that may be set to the incorrect position as well.

Brian.
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS Oct.17 build date, EMS-HW50C , Lippert Remote
    2015 Chevy 3500HD CC LB Duramax , Reese Elite 18K

Comment

Roger that I will check this AM!! (My first question...if the outdoor shower were open, wouldn’t they be running water?) but hot water bypass I think is under kitchen sink. New to this one! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Carnerdm View Post
        Roger that I will check this AM!! (My first question...if the outdoor shower were open, wouldn’t they be running water?) but hot water bypass I think is under kitchen sink. New to this one! Thanks
        To your first question...no, it wouldn't be running water. It has a quick connect type fitting on the outlet and the matching hose connection pushes in a valve to let water flow....only when the hose is hooked up AND the water is turned on. If the hot and cold handles are turned though, and no hose attached, it will cause the symptoms that you are having in the shower.
        If it ain't fast.....It ain't fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Carnerdm View Post
          This video should help you understand:

Howard & Francine +2 fur kids (Brody & Little Princess)
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum & 2006 Honda Goldwing (in truck bed using a LoadAll v3)
          2019 315RLTS towed >11K miles as of Jul '19 (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Comment

[QUOTE=Country Campers;n3978]Check your outside spray port connection. There is a hot/cold , just like a sink , controls. If these are open this will cause your symptoms. I am not sure but you may also have a hot water heater bypass for winterization that may be set to the incorrect position as well.

Brian.[/QUOTE

Brian, Howard,

Great tip on the outside faucet being open on both hot and cold. The other possibility that you mentioned was the hot water heater bypass being set incorrectly. This same issue can happen with all three valves open on the hot water tank where for in-use, the bypass should be closed. I've seen this happen more than once.

Jim

2017 Imagine 2600RB
            2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

Comment

[QUOTE=MidwestCamper;n4107]
              Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
              Check your outside spray port connection. There is a hot/cold , just like a sink , controls. If these are open this will cause your symptoms. I am not sure but you may also have a hot water heater bypass for winterization that may be set to the incorrect position as well.

Brian.[/QUOTE

Brian, Howard,

Great tip on the outside faucet being open on both hot and cold. The other possibility that you mentioned was the hot water heater bypass being set incorrectly. This same issue can happen with all three valves open on the hot water tank where for in-use, the bypass should be closed. I've seen this happen more than once.

Jim
              Since plumbing is my absolute favorite subject (sarcasm alert!) you'd think I'd know this...is there a hot water bypass on my 315RLTS? The only valve I'm familiar with is the red one on the Nautilus panel. I know there are units without the Nautilus (Imagine line?) so what and where is this "bypass valve" that is being referenced?
              2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum & 2006 Honda Goldwing (in truck bed using a LoadAll v3)
              2019 315RLTS towed >11K miles as of Jul '19 (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Comment

Howard. You have the Nautilus P1 panel on your 315. The red valve is indeed the water heater bypass valve. When the red valve is "up", water will flow to the water heater tank. When the valve is "sideways", water will bypass the tank and flow directly to the fixtures.
                Jim and Ginnie
                2017 Reflection 297RSTS

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                  Howard. You have the Nautilus P1 panel on your 315. The red valve is indeed the water heater bypass valve. When the red valve is "up", water will flow to the water heater tank. When the valve is "sideways", water will bypass the tank and flow directly to the fixtures.
                  So what do they have on units that don't have the Nautilus?

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

There would be access to the back of the water heater. Installed in the plumbing connections are 3 valves. One turns off the input of cold water, one turns off the output of hot water, the 3rd valve connects the cold input to the hot output. So when you winterize this type of system you close the cold water input, close the hot water output and open the cross over valve. Drain the hot water tank and with the valves in this position you can run antifreeze thru the lines and not fill the hot water tank. When de-winterizing it is important to have the valves in the correct position for use or conditions like the topic of this thread can be reached.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS Oct.17 build date, EMS-HW50C , Lippert Remote
                    2015 Chevy 3500HD CC LB Duramax , Reese Elite 18K

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Howard, they will have a bypass valve also, and are usually located on the back side of the water heater itself. In my previous trailer, I had to raise the bed and access the storage area under there, climb in using my very best impersonation of a contortionist, remove 4 screws that held a cover on an access panel, then reach in and turn the valve handle 90 degrees to the bypass position. It wasn't that hard to do if you were 3' nothing inches tall....or you could fold yourself in half like a wallet. ......I was "none of the above", so it was a pain in the rump! And the great part was, you knew that you had to do the same thing again in the spring time when you de-winterized and went back to normal position. I absolutely love having the Nautilus panel!
                      If it ain't fast.....It ain't fun!

Comment

Working...
                      X