2800BH Grey Tank Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2800BH Grey Tank Issues

For some reason I've had a suspicion that my kitchen grey tank hasn't been emptying all the way. It seems to take a really long time to empty and on our last outing I noticed a gurgling sound when I was dumping the tank. Is this indicating a vent issue of some sort? The tank was almost full and I never got a good rush of water from the pipe like I used to. I poured a couple 5 gallon buckets of water down the sink and heard the same gurgling sound. I'm wondering if I may have a clogged roof vent and it's trying to pull air from elsewhere. Grey tank sensors indicate 1/3 full but I don't trust them at all.

I have a plumbing inspection camera I'm going to run down the vent pipe to see if there is any obstruction. I also plan on feeding the inspection camera up the dump plumbing and also down from the sink into the tank to see if there's a lot of water left or if I'm just crazy. I'll post the inspection photos when I get them.

Anyone else ever run into this?
    Mike & Kristyn
    '20 Imagine 2800BH
    '19 F250 XLT 6.7 CC SB
    ProPride 3p 1400

Mike

You may have a vent pipe that is inserted into the tank too far. Looking at the drawings for your model I am not sure but you may be able to see the vent pipe from under the sink. Also under the sink you will have an AAV valve that is installed into the plumbing under the sink. This will be between the p-trap and the pipe going into the tank. You could remove the AAV valve and see if that helps your draining , you could also use your camera to access the tank from this removed valve that might be easier than going down thru the trap or up the "other" end.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      Mike

You may have a vent pipe that is inserted into the tank too far. Looking at the drawings for your model I am not sure but you may be able to see the vent pipe from under the sink. Also under the sink you will have an AAV valve that is installed into the plumbing under the sink. This will be between the p-trap and the pipe going into the tank. You could remove the AAV valve and see if that helps your draining , you could also use your camera to access the tank from this removed valve that might be easier than going down thru the trap or up the "other" end.

Brian
      Thanks Brian, I will try to troubleshoot it from your advice here. My 1 year warranty is up at the end of the month so I guess I better get going on checking out this problem.

I appreciate the insight. I assume if I remove the AAV and the tank drains better then I'm probably looking at a bad valve?
      Mike & Kristyn
      '20 Imagine 2800BH
      '19 F250 XLT 6.7 CC SB
      ProPride 3p 1400

Comment

Originally posted by MikeG90 View Post

Thanks Brian, I will try to troubleshoot it from your advice here. My 1 year warranty is up at the end of the month so I guess I better get going on checking out this problem.

I appreciate the insight. I assume if I remove the AAV and the tank drains better then I'm probably looking at a bad valve?
        It is possible that the valve may be causing some of your issue but the main job that it does is helps with draining the sink. If removing helps the draining of the tank then you could look at the vent pipe. The vent pipe is to help the draining of the tank. If you remove the vent cap on the roof , not sure how they come off , you may just have debris in the cap , mud wasps or leafs or such , and that may solve the problem. I am thinking that the vent pipe is inserted to deep in the tank though. Another possibility is the holes they drill to install the vent pipe and sink drain pipe could also be left in the tank. This would be about a 2" diameter disc that would cause a blockage at the drain valve and thus a slow draining tank.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

So I fed my inspection camera down from the top of the vent pipe on the rig. No obstructions there. From what I saw there was a decent gap between the vent pipe and the water sitting in the tank. I tried to get a decent image to show the edge of the vent pipe in relation to the water in the tank. The water that's in there looks pretty nasty. I couldn't get my camera to make a 90 degree turn to view the sides of the tank. So I could still have that plastic circle causing an issue. I'm also going to run the camera back down when the tank is almost full to see if the vent pipe is underwater prematurely.

I did notice that there was no AAV underneath the kitchen sink or the bathroom sink.

Mike & Kristyn
          '20 Imagine 2800BH
          '19 F250 XLT 6.7 CC SB
          ProPride 3p 1400

Comment

Originally posted by MikeG90 View Post

I did notice that there was no AAV underneath the kitchen sink or the bathroom sink.

Mike - I'm just catching up on this thread. I pulled the drawings and the kitchen and bathroom sinks are tied directly into the vent pipe for each tank and vented to the roof, so no AAV is needed.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Mike - I'm just catching up on this thread. I pulled the drawings and the kitchen and bathroom sinks are tied directly into the vent pipe for each tank and vented to the roof, so no AAV is needed.

Jim
              Jim

I wonder if the fact that the drain pipe is only 2 inches is the problem.
              My 2021 has an AAV behind the panel under the bathroom sink. Is that for the black tank or the gray tanks?
              2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn, CC SB 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
              2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

Originally posted by Giesis View Post

Jim

I wonder if the fact that the drain pipe is only 2 inches is the problem.
                My 2021 has an AAV behind the panel under the bathroom sink. Is that for the black tank or the gray tanks?
                I took another look at the drawings. There is an anti-siphon vent on the shower drain. That is the only AAV/ASV showing in the drawings.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

I took another look at the drawings. There is an anti-siphon vent on the shower drain. That is the only AAV/ASV showing in the drawings.

Jim
                  Thats interesting.
                  2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn, CC SB 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                  2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

Just catching up to this thread . . .

An AAV is used when a drain cannot attach directly to a vent stack. Either the AAV or the vent stack provides air to prevent a down rush of water from pulling the water out of the P trap and leaving it open to smells coming back up the drain from the tank. If an anti-siphon (duck bill) valve is used on the drain, no AAV is required because this valve closes air tight (or, at least, it is supposed to).

Usually, there is a common vent stack through the roof, venting more than one tank. If only one tank is exhibiting the slow/partial draining issue, the problem is not likely the vent stack. I would lean towards a partial blockage at the gate valve for the problem tank. A plastic disc from drilling the drain pipe or vent pipe holes is a likely culprit (as mentioned earlier)

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                    X