Access to view fresh water tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access to view fresh water tank

We mostly dry camp and are wondering if anyone has found a way to actually view their fresh water tank instead of having to depend on the gauge light? I’m assuming the tank is translucent if it can be accessed?
    Dennis & Phyllis Manley
    2018 Reflection 27RL; 2008 Silverado 2500HD 4X4

Originally posted by Dennis&Phyllis View Post
    We mostly dry camp and are wondering if anyone has found a way to actually view their fresh water tank instead of having to depend on the gauge light? I’m assuming the tank is translucent if it can be accessed?
    The tanks, including fresh, are mounted between the main frame rails. Then they are covered by the coroplast liner. You'd need to remove or cut the coroplast to get a view of the tank.
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

You could make up a clear hose that is tied into the tank drain and ran vertically up the side of the rig with a vented cap on top. With this, you could see the level on the tank. Not sure how to make this look attractive but it would work.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-12-2019, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Rob installed a hinged door in the coroplast of his 303 in the front area to view/access the holding tanks gate valve area as I recall. He posted pictures elsewhere on the web a couple years ago. This could be an option or give ideas for you to consider under the fresh tank area. I suspect at least one side of the fresh tank may be visible. Rob probably knows this as well. If you are ingenious enough you could figure out a way to "unlatch and latch" the hinged area of the coroplast along with view the tank w/o crawling underneath the RV.

Dan
        Dan & Carol
        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Dennis&Phyllis,

An access panel to see the side of the tank would be complicated and would require crawling under the RV to open and view. Building on the idea from Jim Guest . . . a few years back, I extended my fresh water drain to empty the tank to the side of the camper (rather than directly over the axles). I still use the original gate valve to do this, but if you were to build an extension like this with a new gate valve on the end and a vertical clear tube up the outside of the frame rail just before this new valve, leaving the original drain valve open would allow you to see the actual water level in the tank. Forums are good for combining ideas . . .

Rob
          Attached Files
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

If there's a way to view the tank I knew you guys would know but Dennis says it sounds way to complicated so I guess we'll stick with the gauges. Thanks as always for sharing your expertise!

Phyllis
            Dennis & Phyllis Manley
            2018 Reflection 27RL; 2008 Silverado 2500HD 4X4

Comment

How about a remote camera mounted to see the tank and a view screen in the trailer. I have seen some cheap ones online with lights that can be turned on. Might work if you can find place to mount it to have a clear view of the tank side and a way to run power and communication wires. You probably need to mark the water levels on the tank so you know what you have. You can use a hose with a flow meter for that.
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
              X