• Show
Clear All

• Schiefswret
    replied
    Ok, good idea, thanks Mike!

Leave a comment:

• mpking
    replied
    Schiefswret , take the opportunity to add a shutoff valve while you do this! Make's doing maintenance on the toilet easy if you can shut the water off to the toilet, instead of the whole rig.

Leave a comment:

• Schiefswret
    replied
    Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Schiefswret
    Hi Dave,

The black plastic female fitting is a Pex part that seals to the end of the white plastic male part with a "cone washer". The white part will be straight threads . . . not tapered pipe threads, so sealing to the threads with a double female pipe thread coupling will no work. If you really want to keep the soft hose, you may need to make up an adapter to get from your black plastic Pex fitting (or a replacement brass one) to a proper hose barb fitting. The second picture (with the red Pex pipe) shows how to make this adapter to a hose barb, with parts from Home Depot or similar.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2612.jpg
Views:	848
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	41707Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2295.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	41708
    Wow, you've been a great help Rob and it's very much appreciated. I think your solution will do the trick. Thanks again. Hope to see you, Brian, and the other GD Wizards in August if able make the Rally. Thanks again to you and Brian also. Travel safe!

Leave a comment:

• Cate&Rob
    replied
    Schiefswret
    Hi Dave,

The black plastic female fitting is a Pex part that seals to the end of the white plastic male part with a "cone washer". The white part will be straight threads . . . not tapered pipe threads, so sealing to the threads with a double female pipe thread coupling will no work. If you really want to keep the soft hose, you may need to make up an adapter to get from your black plastic Pex fitting (or a replacement brass one) to a proper hose barb fitting. The second picture (with the red Pex pipe) shows how to make this adapter to a hose barb, with parts from Home Depot or similar.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2612.jpg
Views:	848
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	41707Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2295.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	41708

Leave a comment:

• Schiefswret
    replied
    Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

If you can get a replacement with a hose barb end. If not you would just need to change to PEX tubing and use new pex clamps.

Brian
    Again Brian, much thanks, very helpful. Only concern I have is that the black plastic adapter in my pic may (probably) was added by my field RV Tech
    when he installed the toilet so it seems that in order to use the brass hose barb in Robs pic, I would need to remove my current black plastic adapter and use a double female to accommodate the new arrangement because (see my pic) I’m dealing with a male (see white threads in my pic) fitting that protrudes out to accept the hose, so, I was thinking about skipping/removing my black plastic fitting completely and using a double female, one end to screw into the existing white threads (see my pic) and the other end would accept the 1/2” OD fitting to 1/2” ID hose recommended on one of Rob’s pages that he posted. Does this make sense?
    Last edited by Schiefswret; 02-02-2021, 10:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Schiefswret
    replied
    Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hi Dave,

See the attachment to post 1 of this thread https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...oft-hose-leaks for a summary of what fits correctly with what.

Rob
    ok good deal, thanks Rob, super helpful 👍🏻

Leave a comment:

• Country Campers
    replied
    Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post

ok got it. Are you in agreement here that I’ll be removing and replacing the black plastic fitting in the Pic?
    If you can get a replacement with a hose barb end. If not you would just need to change to PEX tubing and use new pex clamps.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Cate&Rob
    replied
    Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post

ok got it. Are you in agreement here that I’ll be removing and replacing the black plastic fitting in the Pic?
    Hi Dave,

See the attachment to post 1 of this thread https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...oft-hose-leaks for a summary of what fits correctly with what.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Schiefswret
    replied
    You would need to cut the "ears" off of the pex clamp , they are kind of hard to cut. If you have enough extra hose length then I would just cut the hose and old fitting off. You would want to cut the hose any ways as to get a "fresh" end to clamp. A worm gear clamp would work fine with the new hose barb fitting. This will fix one end of the soft hose but the other end may become a problem down the road. There is plenty of soft hose that you should be keeping an eye on. You can cut the clamp with a dremel tool or diagonals , I think Rob has use end nippers with good luck.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Country Campers
    replied
    You would need to cut the "ears" off of the pex clamp , they are kind of hard to cut. If you have enough extra hose length then I would just cut the hose and old fitting off. You would want to cut the hose any ways as to get a "fresh" end to clamp. A worm gear clamp would work fine with the new hose barb fitting. This will fix one end of the soft hose but the other end may become a problem down the road. There is plenty of soft hose that you should be keeping an eye on. You can cut the clamp with a dremel tool or diagonals , I think Rob has use end nippers with good luck.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Schiefswret
    replied
    Schiefswret

The silver clamp ring is called a PEX clamp ring. The issue that is causing the leak is the soft hose attached to an actual PEX fitting. The ID of the soft hose is too large for the fitting. The easiest way to fix this is to replace the fitting with another fitting that has a 1/2" hose barb on the end for the soft hose. The more involved way to fix this is to remove the soft hose and replace with PEX tubing. The soft hose has always been reported to begin to leak at some time. Check out some of the threads in the plumbing section on how to do these projects.

Brian
    Great, much thanks Brian. Is the idea to swap out the connection for a 3/4 female with a 1/2 hose barb? Also, is it typically recommended to stay with the PEX clamp or do you suspect a worm gear hose clamp would do the job? Btw, is there a preferred method for removing the PEX clamp? Pls advise. Tks.
    Last edited by Schiefswret; 02-02-2021, 08:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Country Campers
    replied
    Schiefswret

The silver clamp ring is called a PEX clamp ring. The issue that is causing the leak is the soft hose attached to an actual PEX fitting. The ID of the soft hose is too large for the fitting. The easiest way to fix this is to replace the fitting with another fitting that has a 1/2" hose barb on the end for the soft hose. The more involved way to fix this is to remove the soft hose and replace with PEX tubing. The soft hose has always been reported to begin to leak at some time. Check out some of the threads in the plumbing section on how to do these projects.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Schiefswret
    started a topic 2250RK Small Toilet connection leak question

2250RK Small Toilet connection leak question

Pls see pic. This may sound very odd but nevertheless I need some advice or a tip or two:

Background: This Dometic 320 series was installed about 10 weeks ago in NC and has provided no problems until about two - three weeks ago. We park in our back yard in FL in between trips. There is a very small, intermittent drip coming from the silver crimp-style (I don’t know the actual name) clamp. It can go as much as a week with no drips at all and suddenly I’ll check it out and the sponge wrapped in a paper towel (see pic) positioned below the tube clamp is moist to the point that it has received properly 10-15 drops and when I feel around I can tell that the only location of wetness is at the clamp location. Our Son is using (full hook ups) the Rig temporarily so although the toilet is flushed every day, there is no leaking, by any means, every day. I’d say about every 5-8 days is when I discover that the drips have occurred or reoccurred.

Currently: I don’t believe that I would have any trouble removing the current clamp and replacing it with whatever style clamp you wizards would recommend, however, I would like to know for sure your thoughts and recommendations and if you think there may be more to this than meets the eye or not. All advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Working...
X