Plumbing System Rebuild - 2015 Reflection 303RLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing System Rebuild - 2015 Reflection 303RLS

I post this “Version 1” as background information to the recent post by Lyle CloseToRetirement on his “Version 2” upgrade to the plumbing system on his Solitude.

On my 2015 Reflection, I have wrestled with how to fix Kantleak system leaks, soft hose to Pex fitting leaks, a burst hose, the risks of leaving the water turned on, difficult gate valve operation and lack of furnace access on early Reflections. In 2018 I decided to rip it all out and build a plumbing system that would be the way I wanted it to be. Of course, this turned into a much longer project than expected (like that has never happened before ) but, each piece of the puzzle was not particularly difficult to accomplish. Not that anyone would likely take on all of this, but there may be ideas here that you can use.

Rob
    Attached Files
    Last edited by howson; 12-02-2020, 06:31 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

What quick connect products did you use for the black tank flush, the water inlet, and the faucet hose? I searched for it, but couldn't find the info.
    I guess I shouldn't limit it to only Cate&Rob choices. What has everyone used for garden hose quick connects?

Thanks!
    Last edited by landsharks; 12-11-2019, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by landsharks View Post
      Hey Rob,
      What quick connect products did you use for the black tank flush, the water inlet, and the faucet hose? I searched for it, but couldn't find the info.
      Welcome to the forum, landsharks! A quick suggestion--try using the forum's "tag" feature when asking a specific individual a question so they get a notification or use Quote (like I just did). To tag someone, use the @ followed by their username. Example: Cate&Rob
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you for the info. I just edited my post.

Comment

I guess I shouldn't limit it to only Cate&Rob choices. What has everyone used for garden hose quick connects?

Thanks!
          Hi landsharks.

I use Gardena brand hose connections. https://www.gardena.com/int/products...hose-fittings/. These are very common in Canada, but you have to look a little harder to find these in the US.

The Gardena brand are all plastic fittings. I use these at home, on the boat and on the RV. A while back, I found a good deal on SOB "all brass" equivalents. . . so, I thought . . . these must be better, right? Not. The brass ones corroded, jammed, leaked, etc. I have had a Gardena fitting or two stop working over the years. Usually from some contamination jamming the latching mechanism. I probably have 30 or more of these Gardena fittings in use for over 10 years. They also make a thick wall, reasonably flexible, 5/8" ID hose that is a nice product.

One caution . . . the "stop flow" hose connectors do create measurable reduction in flow because of the internal valve mechanism. There are versions that do not stop flow when disconnected and these do not restrict flow. You just have to remember to turn off the water before disconnecting the hose! .

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Can someone tell me what 2 hoses are connected to the fresh water tank vent valve on Kantleak in a 2015 Reflection 303RLS?

Comment

Can someone tell me what 2 hoses are connected to the fresh water tank vent valve on Kantleak in a 2015 Reflection 303RLS?
              Cate&Rob can! (Over to you, Rob.)

Note, landsharks, how I used a "tag" to alert Rob to your question. I inserted a @ symbol and then his forum name. This technique is not limited to moderators only--works for anyone to tag anyone else.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi landsharks,

I am not sure what you mean by the "fresh water tank vent valve". I am thinking that this might be the fresh tank access valve to the right of the main Kantleak panel?. If so, this connects the pressure side of the pump to the single fill/draw line to/from the fresh water tank. If you are using the pump to draw water/antifreeze/sanitizing from a jug, you open this valve to direct this fluid to the tank. I am very familiar with every aspect of this system, so if we can agree on which valve you are asking about, I can explain how it works. Can you post a picture?.

Rob
                Last edited by Cate&Rob; 12-14-2019, 10:50 PM.
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Yes, the fresh tank access valve is what I meant. Sorry.

Comment

Cate&Rob Here is the valve I am talking about.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	heater bypass .jpg
Views:	1185
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	9691

Comment

landsharks

That is the fresh tank access valve which is connected and functions as described earlier.
                      See the Kantleak valve position diagram attached.

Rob
                      Attached Files
                      Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob In your document, it was not clear to me where you attached the new Pressure Guage. I'm guessing it is on your Fixtures line? Also, what pressure is recommended? I was told to always use a regulator on the water inlet, but I have no idea what pressure it needs to be. I also liked your thinking on the coiled hose to/from the water pump. I ordered some Stainless Steel 1/2" Water Supply hose, and the female connection only has a few threads, so I'm a bit concerned they are not going to work (at least with nylon male threads. If they don't work, I may need to try the washer hoses. Are the washing machine hoses technically OK for drinking water?

I'm redoing my Nautilus system with Pex, and also replacing a couple of flexible hose pieces that are easily accessible from the cargo area. I really don't see how the MPT/MPT elbows coming out of the Nautilus fixtures have been water tight. They have no swivel capability, so they are just tightened up to a point that they are 90 degree to the panel, and they have no apparent pipe sealant or teflon tape. Perhaps its just magic. Getting ready to pressure test (flexible hoses in second picture are just jumpers for the test), fingers crossed. ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3144[1].JPG
Views:	920
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	38596Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3145[1].JPG
Views:	1082
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	38597
                        Attached Files
                        John & Karen, RV Newbies
                        2020 Relection 150, 260RD
                        GMC Sierra Denali 2500

Comment

JohnD

A system pressure gauge can be connected to any pressurized cold water line. I have one T connected into the cold water line to the outside shower at the water panel and another one T connected to the cold water line to the vanity sink in the bathroom. They both read the same. A temporary gauge could even be connected to the cold water low point drain.

The onboard water pump runs at 40 to 50 psi. Most campsite water line pressure regulators are in this same range. This is definitely a nominal "static" pressure. If you install a pressure gauge, you will see that the pressure drops significantly from this when a faucet is opened and can climb significantly above this when the water heater is turned on.

I never really considered whether washing machine hoses are OK for potable water. They are part of a residential water system, so I would think that they are . . . but, that is a good question. We never drink tank or campground water, using it only for washing and flushing, so this has not been a concern for us.

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                            I post this “Version 1” as background information to the recent post by Lyle CloseToRetirement on his “Version 2” upgrade to the plumbing system on his Solitude.

On my 2015 Reflection, I have wrestled with how to fix Kantleak system leaks, soft hose to Pex fitting leaks, a burst hose, the risks of leaving the water turned on, difficult gate valve operation and lack of furnace access on early Reflections. In 2018 I decided to rip it all out and build a plumbing system that would be the way I wanted it to be. Of course, this turned into a much longer project than expected (like that has never happened before ) but, each piece of the puzzle was not particularly difficult to accomplish. Not that anyone would likely take on all of this, but there may be ideas here that you can use.

Rob
                            Hi Rob,
                            Not sure how to do a tag. I read your .pdf on the plumbing re-do. Nice work. Curious on the Bombay door dimensions. Is the welded steel frame custom, or can you buy it somewhere? My suspicion is the former.
                            Thanks,
                            Tony
                            Tony G
                            2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
                            2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
                            KTM 250XC

Comment

tgodrich
                              Hi Tony,

The bomb bay door opening is about 6 ft wide by 4 ft fore/aft. Everything is custom fabrication. (Welding is one of my hobbies).

To “tag” someone, start with @ and then their forum name. A drop-down list will appear and just pick the one you want.

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X