Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh Water Tank Drain Pull Rod - So that's 2!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh Water Tank Drain Pull Rod - So that's 2!

So, we are the new owners of a 2021 Solitude 375RES-R and the first stop about 40 miles after picking up the new camper from the dealer I did a walk around and found the fresh water drain valve pull rod had become disconnected from the valve and had been dragging on the pavement for quite some time and had worn away the connector. GD and dealer were great and had a new one sent directly to me and I screwed it on.

First stop on the second trip with the new rod was dragging on the pavement again. Strike two.

So it appears that you have to really get under the camper with some plyers and torque this rod to the threaded valve connector to get a sufficient fit and I am contemplating using some of that low heat aluminum brazing rods to lock the rod to the valve.

Anyone else having these issues?

KW
    Keith Walker - Nashville, TN
    2021 GD Solitude 375RES-R
    2021 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 SRW
    PullRite Superlite Single Point Connection 5th Wheel Hitch

KWyer -- the issue is difficult for me to visualize, as the OEM handle config on my 315RLTS is so short. (The pic below shows the dump valve and handle with the coroplast down.)

Can you post a pic of your Solitude's setup?

Click image for larger version

Name:	handle.JPG
Views:	2006
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	43227
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

No personal experience with this problem, just thought I'd toss a couple of ideas out there.

Instead of soldering the threaded connection, how about using one of my favorites, Lock-Tite? I use the non-permanent type for the screws and bolts on on my bow sight and rest and haven't had anything come loose. Oh yeah, I've used it on our rig just about every time I find a loose threaded connection.

Would a secondary support keep the rod from dragging if it does back out? No specific suggestion, I imagine there are several ways to accomplish this.
      John
      2018 Momentum 395M
      2018 Ram 3500 Dually
      Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Possibly it is this rod that appears to run from the white "T" handle to the fresh water tank 2" dump valve located roughly between the two wheels next to the blue overflow tube in this picture ?

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/202...S-R-5014773873

Dan
        Dan & Carol
        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
          Possibly it is this rod that appears to run from the white "T" handle to the fresh water tank 2" dump valve located roughly between the two wheels next to the blue overflow tube in this picture ?

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/202...S-R-5014773873

Dan
          Yes

Name:	InkedFreshWaterTankPull1_LI.jpg
Views:	1320
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	43259

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
            KWyer -- the issue is difficult for me to visualize, as the OEM handle config on my 315RLTS is so short. (The pic below shows the dump valve and handle with the coroplast down.)

Can you post a pic of your Solitude's setup?

Name:	handle.JPG
Views:	2006
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	43227
            Same valve but they attach a 4 foot rod to it because of the location behind the wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
              No personal experience with this problem, just thought I'd toss a couple of ideas out there.

Instead of soldering the threaded connection, how about using one of my favorites, Lock-Tite? I use the non-permanent type for the screws and bolts on on my bow sight and rest and haven't had anything come loose. Oh yeah, I've used it on our rig just about every time I find a loose threaded connection.

Would a secondary support keep the rod from dragging if it does back out? No specific suggestion, I imagine there are several ways to accomplish this.
              John, i would agree that the Lock-Tite would be a good choice and would probably work but I really want to kill this issue dead and I think that brazing that connection would go above and beyond.

As for an additional retainer to hold the rod up if it disconnects again I had a similar thought and will incorporate that into "round 3".
              Last edited by KWyer; 02-18-2021, 01:06 PM.

Comment

KWyer ,

See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...0006#post20006 for ideas on how I extended my handle. Maybe something similar will trigger an idea of how to fix your issue.

Howard
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

KWyer - another consideration would be ensure that the handle actually still has threads for the 4' rod to screw into. Yes, it may somewhat challenging to do/see this but possibly there is a problem here or maybe there is a crack preventing the rod from getting or staying secure.

By the way, this is the first I have heard of this on any GDRV and I've been here on this forum since inception and elsewhere for nearly 7 years as one of the early GDRV owners.

Dan
                  Dan & Carol
                  2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                  2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                    KWyer ,

See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...0006#post20006 for ideas on how I extended my handle. Maybe something similar will trigger an idea of how to fix your issue.

Howard
                    Loving this engineering my friend!

Comment

Working...
                    X