Hot water pressure very low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot water pressure very low

Just purchased 2021 Momentum 381M-R, got all set up at the park, made sure all inlet settings correct, and hot water usage has very low pressure. I’m sure I’ve missed setting something accurately, but what is it? Thanks for the assist!
    Please assume that if I’m asking, I’ve already searched the manual.
    2010 Ram 3500 6.7L I6 T-Diesel DRW | 2021 Grand Design Momentum M-Class 381M-R

I'm not sure if this will help but make sure the outside shower faucets in the water bay are both closed.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Ellis32198 View Post
      Just purchased 2021 Momentum 381M-R, got all set up at the park, made sure all inlet settings correct, and hot water usage has very low pressure. I’m sure I’ve missed setting something accurately, but what is it? Thanks for the assist!
      From all faucets and the shower--same low pressure?

If the hot water heater is bypassed (red lever sideways on the Nautilus panel) is the pressure still low? Please turn off the hot water heater before bypassing!

Click image for larger version

Name:	red handle.JPG
Views:	855
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	43503
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson Hi, thank you for the reply and assistance. After doing that, both temps have lower, but similar pressure.

Comment

howson Hi, thank you for the reply and assistance. After doing that, both temps have lower, but similar pressure.
          OK...so if I understand correctly, with the water heater bypassed , when a hot water faucet is turned on (and only the hot side is on) there is similar water pressure as when a cold water faucet (and only the cold side) is turned on. Is that correct? Stated differently, the water flow is the same whether hot or cold is selected at the faucet with the water heater bypassed?

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

OK...so if I understand correctly, with the water heater bypassed , when a hot water faucet is turned on (and only the hot side is on) there is similar water pressure as when a cold water faucet (and only the cold side) is turned on. Is that correct? Stated differently, the water flow is the same whether hot or cold is selected at the faucet with the water heater bypassed?
            howson Yes, similar water pressure for both hot and cold individually. And the flow pressure is lower than without water heater bypassed.

Comment

howson Yes, similar water pressure for both hot and cold individually. And the flow pressure is lower than without water heater bypassed.
              Please have patience because I don't understand, "...flow pressure is lower than without water heater bypassed..." (sorry).

Turning only one side of the faucet on at a time, is what's written below accurate? (I'm using "low", "moderate" and "good" as a subjective scale.)

1) Water heater enabled: low flow from hot side of faucet, cold side good

2) Water heater bypassed: moderate flow from hot, moderate flow from cold

Howard

P.S. Cate&Rob ... help...I suspect it's the valve on the back of the water tank but not sure...

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Please have patience because I don't understand, "...flow pressure is lower than without water heater bypassed..." (sorry).

Turning only one side of the faucet on at a time, is what's written below accurate? (I'm using "low", "moderate" and "good" as a subjective scale.)

1) Water heater enabled: low flow from hot side of faucet, cold side good

2) Water heater bypassed: moderate flow from hot, moderate flow from cold

Howard

P.S. Cate&Rob ... help...I suspect it's the valve on the back of the water tank but not sure...
                No worries! Yes, 1 + 2 are spot-on. Also, I’m having trouble with locating the HW tank to check valve status.
                Last edited by Ellis32198; 02-23-2021, 09:08 AM. Reason: Additional info

Comment

The check valve in the water heater outlet may not be opening completely, restricting flow out of the water heater.
                  Ted
                  2021 Reflection 310RLS
                  2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

No worries! Yes, 1 + 2 are spot-on. Also, I’m having trouble with locating the HW tank to check valve status.
                    As TedS mentioned, there's a one-way valve on the rear of the water heater. I am not sure how to access the back of the water heater in your 381M. I suspect it's through the "basement" but not sure. A 5vr owner will have to help on that topic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	valve.JPG
Views:	866
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	43775

Comment

Ellis32198 , on the road side of your Momentum your should be able to find the exhaust from the water heater. The heater will be immediately on the the opposite side of the wall from the exhaust
                      John
                      2018 Momentum 395M
                      2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                      Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Ellis32198 howson TedS

I was also thinking towards a partially blocked check valve on the water heater outlet . . . but, this does not explain the reduced flow when the water heater is in bypass. The valve that is turned to change the flow pattern is the Red handle shown by Howard in post 3. I am thinking towards some sort of blockage in this valve that is moving around and blocking the flow to differing amounts in the two valve positions.

​​​​​​​Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob, he reports just the opposite. That's why I would suspect the outlet check valve.
                          Ted
                          2021 Reflection 310RLS
                          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                            Rob, he reports just the opposite. That's why I would suspect the outlet check valve.
                            According to the reports detailed earlier in this thread, cold water volume from a faucet is reduced when the water heater is put on bypass. The water heater outlet check valve cannot cause this.

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

According to the reports detailed earlier in this thread, cold water volume from a faucet is reduced when the water heater is put on bypass. The water heater outlet check valve cannot cause this.

Rob
                              Reread post #7.
                              Ted
                              2021 Reflection 310RLS
                              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
                              X