Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh water tank dropping thru the belly wrap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh water tank dropping thru the belly wrap?

We have a 2021 GD 200MK, only one outing to date. Preparing for the next camp out, I noticed the 2" valve from the fresh water tank has dropped down approx 1 1/2", tearing the spray foam used to seal the through hole away from the belly wrap. It has dropped at an angle, the port side dropping the 1 1/2" and the starboard side not moving, which angles the release handle toward, and in conflict with, the quick connect gas valve. From photos online, I surmise the tank is wide and flat, with a lip at both ends, which sits on the ledge of the I-beam. Is it possible that the port side has come off that ledge, causing that side to drop, creating the angle of the valve on the starboard side. If this it true, than the weight of the water, now 1/4 full, approx 15 gal., is being born by the belly wrap, only. When I push up against the belly wrap, it's very taut, as if it has pressure behind it. I'm concerned that a full tank will fall thru the belly wrap and end up in the road...

Anyone experienced this issue??

Yes, it's under warranty, but the shops are so inundated now, I don't want to wait weeks. Appreciate any ideas................Paul
    Paul & LInda
    Transcend 200MK
    F-150 4wd CrewCab 3.5 Ecoboost
    Andersen equalizer

It looks to me like it has come loose from it's mountings. Definitely a trip to the dealer.
    2019 Ford F250 Lariat Diesel
    2019 Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

You could drop an edge of the coroplast , belly covering , and get a look to see what has happened. It is possible that a tank strap has broken or became unattached. You could try this yourself or have the dealer do it. Another way might be to get a mobile tech. Either way you choose you should contact GD customer service and get this documented , contact your dealer first. Still under warranty you may be able to get pushed in front of the line at your dealer , worth asking for at least. I am not sure but I believe that GD does not use fresh tanks with lips on them for holding the tank in place , but I could be wrong.
      Please keep us posted on this.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

First step: drain the water out of that tank!

Definitely get it in for service, call for a mobile tech, or get ready to dive in to the underbeast. My .02: don't tow the camper with water in that tank or fill it with any water.

Not that it helps much, but the tank may be a WT1517. The only info I can find is on GD's Parts Lookup website. I couldn't find anything else on the web. https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/51236

Click image for larger version

Name:	W1517.JPG
Views:	496
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	44001
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

vagabond

Hi Paul & Linda

From the attached drawing (available on the Grand Design parts lookup page of their website) for the 2021 Transcend 200MK, your fresh water tank is indeed T shaped. The ledges of the T usually sit on bolted in cross members (not the I beams), so that the tank can be removed. It would seem that the tank has slipped off this support rail . . . or the support has come loose. To avoid a trip to the dealer. it would be worth investigating whether you can put this back together. I would suggest supporting the tank with a suitable crossmember and a jack, before undoing the underbelly coroplast which is likely holding up the tank at the current time. In the past, T shaped holding tanks have come off their support rails because the top of the tank caved in due to a vacuum in the tank allowing the top of the tank to become narrow enough slip between the rails.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	Transcend Water Tank.jpg
Views:	715
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	44003
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

To all replies, thank you, and for the diagrams. I spoke to GD, got a case number immediately and got into the dealer. Kudos to GD Tech support. Turns out the tank is fine, but when it is filled, the belly sags down so far that the drain valve cants about 30%, and the T handle comes into conflict with the quick connect gas valve for outside BBQ. They feel this is not an issue, case closed.

I feel that a tank with 600lbs of water in it needs to be secured well enough, or the tank itself designed, so that it does not sag. I would like to remove the belly wrap, coroplast?, and perhaps add supports. Also need to rearrange wiring for a solar upgrade and install a conduit allowing transit from batteries to cubby. Any advice on removing that, breaking the seal and resealing, with what?.... Am I getting into a snake pit here??

Moderator Note: There was a reference here to a battery monitor. That reference and subsequent responses moved to https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ere-in-a-200mk
            Last edited by howson; 03-15-2021, 06:17 PM.
            Paul & LInda
            Transcend 200MK
            F-150 4wd CrewCab 3.5 Ecoboost
            Andersen equalizer

Comment

vagabond

I like your "snake pit" analogy.

Dropping the coroplast is not a big deal. Start at the front and work your way around removing the screws that attach it to the frame. The spots where plumbing comes thru there will be some spray foam. This can be removed with a putty knife or such and discarded. I would definitely add some support under the fresh tank also take some pics of what it looks like before. If something looks amiss to you I would contact GD yourself and show pics and explain. There will be lots to see under there so be forwarned.

​​​​​​​Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Opening the underside of an RV could be like opening a pot of boiled spaghetti. I feel in the newer RV's the coroplast is used to hide the "efficiency" of how the do things now.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by vagabond View Post
                  To all replies, thank you, and for the diagrams. I spoke to GD, got a case number immediately and got into the dealer. Kudos to GD Tech support. Turns out the tank is fine, but when it is filled, the belly sags down so far that the drain valve cants about 30%, and the T handle comes into conflict with the quick connect gas valve for outside BBQ. They feel this is not an issue, case closed.

I feel that a tank with 600lbs of water in it needs to be secured well enough, or the tank itself designed, so that it does not sag. I would like to remove the belly wrap, coroplast?, and perhaps add supports. Also need to rearrange wiring for a solar upgrade and install a conduit allowing transit from batteries to cubby. Any advice on removing that, breaking the seal and resealing, with what?.... Am I getting into a snake pit here??
                  The white T handle can be rotated (4 screws) Just be careful not to damage the O-ring.
                  Last edited by howson; 03-15-2021, 06:14 PM.
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                  X