Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower handle has constant dripping

Hello,
    Before trying to figure out what causes this and how to fix it, thought I would post the video here and ask for advice - anyone seen this type of handle? Know why it constantly leaks water whenever the faucet is turned on? The water is coming from the bottom of the black rubber...there is no leak behind the shower.
    TIA,
    Cindy
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 8.42.32 PM.png
Views:	1183
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	44090
    Ed & Cindy, pups: Daisy and Penny
    2020 Ford F-450 Lariat CCLB Diesel
    2020 Solitude 2930rl-R
    Previously 2019 Reflection 260RD

That is hard to tell if it is coming from the hose connection to the black fitting or from the black fitting connection to the valve. If it is the hose connection to the black fitting it might just be a bad or missing o-ring seal. If it is the black fitting to the valve it may not have any teflon tape on the fitting or a broken fitting.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Our Reflection does the same thing. Have also seen a small amount leak out after the water is off. I assumed it was some sort of drain for the hose. Would be interested to know for sure.
      2022 Momentum 397THS-R 12/3/2021
      Traded 2021 Reflection 337
      2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW
      Formerly M&K337

Comment

If its leaking from the metal nut, then it is either a bad rubber washer, or a loose connection. if its coming from the other side, that would possibly lead me to thing there is something wrong with the faucet.

I would check the basement under the shower after it runs for a bit for water that may be runing down the inside the wall.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

In our case it is not coming from the nut. It appears to come out of the handle housing. I have never found any evidence of water outside of the shower. I try to be pretty vigilant about looking for leaks. Have already fixed several minor ones. Including the back of the Nautilus system already.
          Formerly M&K337

Comment

Do any of you live in a hard freeze area? Is it possible that the shower valve froze and cracked?
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
              That is hard to tell if it is coming from the hose connection to the black fitting or from the black fitting connection to the valve. If it is the hose connection to the black fitting it might just be a bad or missing o-ring seal. If it is the black fitting to the valve it may not have any teflon tape on the fitting or a broken fitting.

Brian
              Looking from underneath - there is a tiny hole in the bottom of the black rubber. As soon as the water turns on, drips start out of the hole, and run down the front of the silver cover. So, ??? Why is there a hole there?
              Advice? Do I take off the handles to access the cover? Or start with the silver metal nut above the black rubber?
              [Yes, we live in a northern climate. This has always occurred since picking it up in July, however. We winterized it, then drove south to FL before using it again.]
              2020 Solitude 2930rl-R

Comment

I just went down and looked at mine and remove the silver nut. Under that is the black plastic connection to the valve and inside the hose fitting there is a rubber washer to seal the hose. I do not see any other rubber item and nothing with a hole in it. Please post a pic of the hole or a close up of the item with the hole. Removing the hose connection will not cause no harm. I think if you remove the handles , they should slide off of have a small set screw that attaches them to the fixture , then the cover will pop off allowing you access to the fixture.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

If you feel the bottom of the flat part of the black piece, you will find a small hole and I bet (if recently used) your finger will be wet. If you cover the hole and turn on the water then turn it off, the shower head will not drain until the hole is clear. I believe this is a drain valve that seals when the water is on and opens to allow the head and hose to siphon off water left in the hose. How many times have you seen "drain the shower hose" in the winterizing instructions?
                  Just to cover the frozen and damaged thought, ours was built during the summer and not subjected to freezing temps until we were full timing and the coldest the shower control has gotten is probably 70 degrees.
                  Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                  Nash County, NC
                  2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

We live in the South, no chance it has frozen. I did pay attention tonight, ours does not leak like TS_Breezes. If it leaked while in use it was minimal. After use there is water that drains from the hole. The hole is in the plastic where the shower hose attaches on the bottom of the threaded part. I will get some pictures this weekend.
                    Formerly M&K337

Comment

[QUOTE=ThePowells;n44206]If you feel the bottom of the flat part of the black piece, you will find a small hole and I bet (if recently used) your finger will be wet. If you cover the hole and turn on the water then turn it off, the shower head will not drain until the hole is clear. I believe this is a drain valve that seals when the water is on and opens to allow the head and hose to siphon off water left in the hose. How many times have you seen "drain the shower hose" in the winterizing instructions?
                      ThePowells I am not familiar with winterizing as of yet. The hole being a drain for the hose was my initial thought.

Formerly M&K337

Comment

A follow-up to this problem:
                        Brian asked: "I just went down and looked at mine and remove the silver nut. Under that is the black plastic connection to the valve and inside the hose fitting there is a rubber washer to seal the hose. I do not see any other rubber item and nothing with a hole in it. Please post a pic of the hole or a close up of the item with the hole. Removing the hose connection will not cause no harm. I think if you remove the handles , they should slide off of have a small set screw that attaches them to the fixture , then the cover will pop off allowing you access to the fixture."

So I am attaching a bunch of photos that show the problem. After a LOT of internet sleuthing I discovered this black plastic piece is a "vacuum break". Looking at Dura RV shower faucets online, they all seem to have this part mentioned in the description. From what I have gleaned, it is to prevent water from stagnating in the shower hose and running down into the feeder lines. It also causes the shower head to trickle water from the shower hose for awhile. It has a tiny weep hole in the bottom (which is leaking water constantly in our case), and a small diameter hole that feeds out the top and into the shower hose leading to the shower head. It is plastic and the threads can wear out or who knows what else causes the weep hole to dribble out water constantly.

We are going to try to replace this part - it is inexpensive - but as you can see from the photos we have very very tight quarters to work in. The opening in our linen closet wall is very small and he will make it larger. The hot and cold water lines that go into the back of the handles will probably both have to be disconnected for the whole faucet to come away from the shower wall to get the black vacuum break replaced. It doesn't screw into place, it just clicks in like a garden quick-connect. (See YouTube video showing it here)

Will leave another post with a conclusion after Ed does the replacement.

1-Location of the weep hole
                        2-Hose removed
                        3-Close up of top showing small diameter hole
                        4-2 Handles removed - small plastic flat-head screws
                        5-Image of the vacuum break
                        6-Vacuum break part for sale $12
                        7-Our 2930rl linen closet - 2 screws held board over the access hole
                        8-Access hole, with cold water way in the back - 3 cold water feed lines (why 3, ? , one for shower, one for toilet flush, and one for ? don't know)

Cindy

Name:	Pic_1.png
Views:	737
Size:	437.4 KB
ID:	44397

Name:	Pic_2.png
Views:	985
Size:	370.8 KB
ID:	44396
                        2020 Solitude 2930rl-R

Comment

TS_Breezes (Cindy),
                          If there's a constant drip of water from the weep hole, then there must be a constant source of water. (The shower line would be out of water relatively quickly, right?)

You might be chasing a symptom and not the problem if that weep hole is supposed to be there and let water drain. The problem may be water is bypassing the shutoff in the shower faucet itself, just enough to resupply the shower line which in turn constantly drains out the weep hole but not enough to come out of the shower head.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Being as you are this far into it you may look at replacing the whole thing. You might be able to get a little better set form the local box store. The valves will be better and parts available where ever you may be.
                            I am not sure why you have 3 cold lines there.

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

howson
                              Originally posted by howson View Post
                              TS_Breezes (Cindy),
                              If there's a constant drip of water from the weep hole, then there must be a constant source of water. (The shower line would be out of water relatively quickly, right?)

You might be chasing a symptom and not the problem if that weep hole is supposed to be there and let water drain. The problem may be water is bypassing the shutoff in the shower faucet itself, just enough to resupply the shower line which in turn constantly drains out the weep hole but not enough to come out of the shower head.
                              The dripping only occurs when the shower is turned on. It will weep a bit after the water is turned off - but it is definitely initiated when we turn on the water. (So not running constantly)
                              2020 Solitude 2930rl-R

Comment

Working...
                              X