No announcement yet.

Shower handle has constant dripping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is one of the cold lines black in color. If so it is probably the black tank flush line.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Country Campers
      Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      Being as you are this far into it you may look at replacing the whole thing. You might be able to get a little better set form the local box store. The valves will be better and parts available where ever you may be.
      I am not sure why you have 3 cold lines there.

Brian
      Thanks for that suggestion - I found that Valterra/Phoenix makes a 2 handle shower faucet with a D-spud connection and brass underbody for the shower attachment. Model 412D has a brass compression fitting and Model 432D has a plastic compression fitting, both have solid brass underbody though. Found on Amazon and eTrailer as Model PF213321 with very good reviews. Still researching, "to be continued". :-D
      Ed & Cindy, pups: Daisy and Penny
      2020 Ford F-450 Lariat CCLB Diesel
      2020 Solitude 2930rl-R
      Previously 2019 Reflection 260RD

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
        Is one of the cold lines black in color. If so it is probably the black tank flush line.
        Not sure if there was a black line - the cover is back on the opening. Thanks for the tip!
        Ed & Cindy, pups: Daisy and Penny
        2020 Ford F-450 Lariat CCLB Diesel
        2020 Solitude 2930rl-R
        Previously 2019 Reflection 260RD

Comment

Originally posted by TS_Breezes View Post

Not sure if there was a black line - the cover is back on the opening. Thanks for the tip!
          When the moderators were walking through the factory two years ago we spotted black flush lines utilizing blue soft hose and blue pex. We commented that this could cause a lot of confusion. And here we are.

Cate&Rob , Country Campers , TucsonJim -- am I remembering this correctly?
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

When the moderators were walking through the factory two years ago we spotted black flush lines utilizing blue soft hose and blue pex. We commented that this could cause a lot of confusion. And here we are.
            -- am I remembering this correctly?
            Yes . . .

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Ok, so after spending 2 weeks in the camper traveling I made a slight "discovery" in the shower faucet. The leak we are all seeing is from the anti siphon valve that's built into the faucet where the hose attaches. Don't think it's one, as you finish showering, pull the head out of the holder and get it and all the hose as low as possible then shut off the faucet. You will hear the sucking of the water through the valve as the hose drains. Also a good way to drain the hose so it does not stay full of water and get "stale" or stinky.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                Ok, so after spending 2 weeks in the camper traveling I made a slight "discovery" in the shower faucet. The leak we are all seeing is from the anti siphon valve that's built into the faucet where the hose attaches. Don't think it's one, as you finish showering, pull the head out of the holder and get it and all the hose as low as possible then shut off the faucet. You will hear the sucking of the water through the valve as the hose drains. Also a good way to drain the hose so it does not stay full of water and get "stale" or stinky.
                Thats what I came up with when I tore ours apart to seal the housing that was leaking
                2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

A bit more info: I did not have CONSTANT dripping like OP. Instead, I had intermittent water under shower pan, often 5 minutes AFTER completing a shower.

I examined both the 2-handle and 1-handle Dura valves I've replaced. As TS_Breezes noted, they have a vacuum breaker built-in at the hose exit. The purpose is to drain the water back out of the hose extending to shower head. When disassembled, I have confirmed that it is a one-way vacuum breaker by blowing in it with valve in various positions. On a new Dura shower valve, when the handle is on, no air/water should leak out of the weep hole he circled in a previous post. However, when the valve handle is turned OFF, then I can blow back through the shower hose fitting - and air (water) is released back out the weep hole. In addition to draining stale water from the hose, this would have obvious benefit in avoiding damage due to freezing.

However, both the previous (2 handle) and replacement (single handle) Dura valve were the source of my mystery leak that absolutely drove me crazy. I was observing intermittent water seeping out from under the shower base, atop the vinyl flooring. It typicallyoccurred after I showered, and only infrequently when my wife showered, misleading me into believing that it was some hairline crack in the shower base, and my weight or body position was causing the leak. However, the actual problem was that after shutting the water off, the contents of the shower hose would drain back (by design), exit the weep hole in the vacuum breaker, and then fill the brushed metal housing (probably not by design; instead, the water should be discharged outside the metal housing). The black plastic "gasket" provided an undesirable water-tight seal, causing water to accumulate within the valve enclosure until it reached the elevation at which it could flow into the porous fiberglass wall. Why did it only occur when I shower? Well, we are boondocking, and to conserve water, I would turn off the shower half a dozen times trying to conserve water. Dampen the hair, shut off, shampoo, rinse, shut off, etc. My wife just let it run the entire time, so only shut off a single time per shower, dumping only a single hose volume into the valve enclosure.

Note that the fiberglass surround did NOT become wet on the back side (facing bedroom), making diagnostics very difficult. The water did NOT overflow out the drilled holes into the wall cavity! Instead, the water would drip INSIDE the porous fiberglass matrix, run to bottom of enclosure, and then exit in some unobservable location from within the fiberglass matrix and drip atop the vinyl flooring.... My solution was to 1)remove valve, 2) take out two screws to remove black plastic gasket 3) cut a weep hole into the black plastic "gasket" so any water entering the Dura valve trim would exit INTO the shower and not build up within the valve trim. That was probably the only required change, but I also 4) tried to "waterproof" the top of the roughly drilled holes through the fiberglass with silicone to make it less likely any water could enter the porous matrix of the fiberglass and would instead drip into the wall cavity where it could possibly be diagnosed.

Note, one of the enclosed photos shows a faint “high water line" where you can observe the water build up high enough to exit into the fiberglass wall. Also, I had previously attempted to run a bead of clear silicone only atop the valve body to diagnose the mystery leak. I never caulked the underside, but the plastic gasket from each Dura valve nonetheless held water. Both valves caused the identical mysteryleak, but my modification seems to have solved it. More than the original poster needed, but hopefully helpful to someone.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Dura shower valve - mystery leak.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	64712

Comment

Originally posted by mcv View Post
                    A bit more info: I did not have CONSTANT dripping like OP. Instead, I had intermittent water under shower pan, often 5 minutes AFTER completing a shower.

I examined both the 2-handle and 1-handle Dura valves I've replaced. As TS_Breezes noted, they have a vacuum breaker built-in at the hose exit...
                    Thanks for this post. We seem to be experiencing the same issue however we don't appear to have a vacuum breaker at all on our faucet. I suspect when my replaced the shower head with an Oxygenics brand it did not include one and/or perhaps the original remained with the old shower head/hose. My workaround was similar but I chose to drill three small weep holes in the bottom of the to drain the water. If we still have issues then I can enlarge the holes without removing the whole contraption again.
                    Last edited by howson; 09-11-2022, 04:40 AM. Reason: trimmed quote
                    Steve & Katey
                    2020 Ford F-350 DRW (5361 payload)
                    2018 Reflection 337RLS (current)
                    2024 Solitude 390RK (on order)

Comment

Working...
                    X