Water leak in underbelly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
    Bill, don't forget that if there is any type of batting insulation in the underbelly it will hold water like a sponge any may take a little time to dry out.

If you want to test both of the waste water tanks at the same time, just add vinegar to ONE tank. That way if you can determine which tank is leaking. However this will not let you know if its both tanks leaking not just one.
    I'm not sure about the insulation but pushing on the coroplast tells me there isn't any weight that wet insulation would provide. I didn't drain the front gray so if the water drip stops, I'll know it's good.
    Bill & Cindy
    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
    SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post

I'm not sure about the insulation but pushing on the coroplast tells me there isn't any weight that wet insulation would provide. I didn't drain the front gray so if the water drip stops, I'll know it's good.
      Bill - once of the moderators can confirm with their GDRV specs information but I do not think there is fiberglass or wool types of insulation above your coroplast......which will be a good thing to not have to deal with. It may be just the reflective foil type insulation which does not soak up water. I think only Solitudes and Momentums have the previously mentioned or similar insulation above the coroplast.

It's good to hear fresh water....narrows things down quite a bit. Hopefully just a hose/fitting leak that you will spot quickly.

Dan
      Dan & Carol
      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

As far as holes in the coroplast, there are holes scattered that were intentionally placed and they about the size a paper hole punch would make.
        I would expect that those holes are from missing (or attempted) fasteners. I do not believe that Grand Design intentionally puts drain holes in the coroplast.
        Only Solitude and Momentum have fibreglass batts directly on top of the coroplast. In earlier years there was a foil sheet above the coroplast. More resent production has this reflective foil incorporated into the top layer of the coroplast.

Rob

Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Drip has totally stopped with the draining of the tanks. I pressurized the waterlines and will give it a while to see if there are any signs of a drip. I will fill the water heater next just because it's the easiest.

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

I would expect that those holes are from missing (or attempted) fasteners. I do not believe that Grand Design intentionally puts drain holes in the coroplast.
          Only Solitude and Momentum have fibreglass batts directly on top of the coroplast. In earlier years there was a foil sheet above the coroplast. More resent production has this reflective foil incorporated into the top layer of the coroplast.

Rob
          I'm not sure there would be anything for the panel to attach to where these holes are. I'll get a picture in the morning.
          Bill & Cindy
          2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
          SE Texas

Comment

I use 4X4s across the coroplast from side to side supported by bar clamps and walk it down as I get screws in.
            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
            Nash County, NC
            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
              I use 4X4s across the coroplast from side to side supported by bar clamps and walk it down as I get screws in.
              I used a similar idea with a 2x6 supported in the center by a rolling floor jack. This took the sag out of the center of the coroplast, flattening it so that the screw holes would line up.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Yesterday afternoon I put the waterlines back under pressure and filled the water heater. There was no drip this morning. I then ran water into the rear gray tank and waited a little bit and the drip came back. To make sure it is the gray tank only, I drained it and will run water into the fresh water tank once the ground dries.

Is there a definitive area these tanks are located that someone could reveal to me? I'd appreciate any help there.

We are going on a 3-night excursion next week at a state park without sewer hookups. I can use my portable tank to run the water into so it doesn't leak. Not sure what might be in the area that could get damaged by water.
                Bill & Cindy
                2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                SE Texas

Comment

BillinTexas
                  Hi Bill,

The black tank is crosswise under the toilet at the very back of the camper. Forward of this (also crosswise) is the aft grey tank. It's forward edge is more-or- less centred on the doorway. I have no information on the routing of the drain piping. This is from "generic" information provided by Grand Design to the moderators. We are specifically directed not to publish this information. This may or may not be exactly correct for your specific trailer. If you contact Grand Design Customer Service with your VIN, they will likely send you drawing information specific to your trailer. You will be asked not to publish this information.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

BillinTexas i finally remembered to lookup that underbelly tape. That's for the stuff they use on the slides i think. looks like a tarp.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                      BillinTexas
                      Hi Bill,

The black tank is crosswise under the toilet at the very back of the camper. Forward of this (also crosswise) is the aft grey tank. It's forward edge is more-or- less centred on the doorway. I have no information on the routing of the drain piping. This is from "generic" information provided by Grand Design to the moderators. We are specifically directed not to publish this information. This may or may not be exactly correct for your specific trailer. If you contact Grand Design Customer Service with your VIN, they will likely send you drawing information specific to your trailer. You will be asked not to publish this information.

Rob
                      Rob, thank you. That is enough. I plan to call them about a more local repair on the bolt under the flooring so I will ask about this too. Appreciate it.
                      Bill & Cindy
                      2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                      SE Texas

Comment

Fear of the unknown is/was at play here. The fresh water tank did not leak so definitely the gray tank. The connection to the tank is near the driver-side edge. I may only need to drop the coroplast partially and not all the way across.

Question: Assuming I will need to cut the expanding foam out of the way, is there a special type that is used in this application? Thanks.
                        Bill & Cindy
                        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                        SE Texas

Comment

Assuming I will need to cut the expanding foam out of the way, is there a special type that is used in this application?
                          Almost any "low expansion" foam will work. Great Stuff makes a black product that looks very similar to the original. https://www.greatstuff.dupont.com/pr...ose-black.html

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks, Rob
                            Bill & Cindy
                            2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                            SE Texas

Comment

Thanks, Rob.
                              Friendly "heads up"--Great Stuff (and equivalent) is messy and sticky. IMHO gloves and eye protection are mandatory. To protect your driveway and anything else you don't want stained with the stuff, spread out sacrificial cardboard to catch the drips.
                              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Friendly "heads up"--Great Stuff (and equivalent) is messy and sticky. IMHO gloves and eye protection are mandatory. To protect your driveway and anything else you don't want stained with the stuff, spread out sacrificial cardboard to catch the drips.
                                Thanks, Howard. That is good advice. It has been a while since I have used the stuff.

FYI, I have peeked inside after removing a few screws. It is a pretty clear area to work on things. I will deal with it when I return from our outing next week. Nothing for the water, which is a very slow drip, to cause damage to based on where it's dripping from.
                                Bill & Cindy
                                2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                                SE Texas

Comment

Working...
                                X