Plumbing Break

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing Break

Hello. I could use some info. The images I uploaded show the red hose going into the red outflow to the shower. We had a freeze and my best bet is it popped off.

what I don’t get is how does this connection work.

Could the pressure have popped the black over that lip I see??

thanks.

Attached Files
    Grand Design-Imagine
    2021 (1st Edition) 2600RB

Originally posted by Chipster View Post
    Hello. I could use some info. The images I uploaded show the red hose going into the red outflow to the shower. We had a freeze and my best bet is it popped off.

what I don’t get is how does this connection work.

Could the pressure have popped the black over that lip I see??

thanks.

Hi there. It just blew the retaining washer off. The fitting is ruined, but it's easy to replace.

You can purchase a replacement in most any plumbing supply store. Here's the brand from Amazon that I keep on hand for repairs. You'll need a 1/2" PEX ring and PEX crimpers to install it.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Hi. Thanks. I pushed the metal ring (retaining washer) back and it is holding with water... but I will definitely take your advice and change out tomorrow. Thanks.
      Grand Design-Imagine
      2021 (1st Edition) 2600RB

Comment

Originally posted by Chipster View Post
        Hi. Thanks. I pushed the metal ring (retaining washer) back and it is holding with water... but I will definitely take your advice and change out tomorrow. Thanks.
        Jim is correct, it's bad and don't count on it holding. Been there and tried that only to have a bigger mess. Home depot will have an exact replacement in brass. Look for it in their fittings in the plastic bags, Take the old one in. I would replace both while your in there. Pipe is 1/2"

On edit
        This is what HD has - brand may vary.
        https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sha...bow/1001012840 SharkBite 1/2 Inch PEX x 1/2 Inch FNPT SWIVEL ELBOW
        or

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Apollo-1...1212/301541107 1/2 in. Brass PEX Barb x 1/2 in. Female Swivel 90-Degree Elbow by Apollo

Last edited by Yoda; 03-09-2021, 12:17 PM.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

When I have to go get PEX fittings, I get a few extra and throw into the plumbing fittings box. It ends up being a little more than Amazon, but it's better than forgetting or ordering the wrong thingy.
          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
          Nash County, NC
          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Hopefully this isn't a stupid question, but it looks that connection is onto soft hose, so wouldn't that mean you would want to use a 1/2" hose barb fitting of some sort with a hose clamp? I'm just trying to understand the interesting world of RV plumbing ! Thanks!
            2019 Imagine 2400BH
            2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
              Hopefully this isn't a stupid question, but it looks that connection is onto soft hose, so wouldn't that mean you would want to use a 1/2" hose barb fitting of some sort with a hose clamp? I'm just trying to understand the interesting world of RV plumbing ! Thanks!
              You are correct that the 1/2" barb fitting is the one that should be used with this pipe. You can also use this type of transition which has the same OD as the ID of the soft pipe so will seal properly.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sha...ter/1001012681

I have used these and they work well.

Rob
              Rob & Barb
              2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
              2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post

You are correct that the 1/2" barb fitting is the one that should be used with this pipe. You can also use this type of transition which has the same OD as the ID of the soft pipe so will seal properly.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sha...ter/1001012681

I have used these and they work well.

Rob
                Cool, thanks for the info; and it's even the Canadian Home Depot website . On the soft hose side, do you just use a hose clamp to secure the fitting, or can you use the supplied ring? Thanks again!
                2019 Imagine 2400BH
                2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Cool, thanks for the info; and it's even the Canadian Home Depot website . On the soft hose side, do you just use a hose clamp to secure the fitting, or can you use the supplied ring? Thanks again!
                  I used a worm gear hose clamp. I don't have the tool for the compression rings for pex or the poly pipe. I have the cinch ring tool for the pex which I like much better and it is consistent with what GD uses.

Rob
                  Rob & Barb
                  2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                  2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

The worm gear hose clamp is technically the right fastener for a braided hose, but the crimped ring will usually work. The crimp ring has only one crimped setting which might be too tight and could cut the braiding inside the hose. The hose clamp can be adjusted correctly, can be tightened if necessary and can be easily removed if necessary. I would go with a hose clamp for the hose. Check the lawn sprinkler section of the hardware store for all stainless hose clamps at a reasonable price.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                    X