Optional T-fitting for quick leak repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optional T-fitting for quick leak repairs

Trying to get on the road for our first shakedown cruise and finding all kinds of leaks during the sanitization of the water system for our brand new 2021 Imagine 2600RB. There are two tees for the hot and cold shown in the attached picture that have 4 separate leaks out of the 6 connections. The plumbing is similar to Pex with crimp rings holding the pipe on to the fitting. I can literally twist the pipes by hand which shows how loose the pipes are.

Does anyone know if I can substitute a brass barb type tee and use hose clamps with this type of pipe (will it be the correct ID)? Kind of bummed because it looks like I will eventually have to work my way through the whole trailer replacing all of this type of fitting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0356.JPG
Views:	808
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	46255
    Guy and Ginger Lauziere
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Ford F-150 4WD/Crew Cab 3.5L Ecoboost
    Equal-i-zer 4 point 1,000/10,000lb

Imagine_Nation

This is a very common situation that has often been discussed on this forum. Grand Design uses braided hose attached to fittings designed for Pex tubing. The hose has too large an ID to properly clamp to the Pex fitting. If you use the search tool in the upper right corner on “soft hose”, “plumbing leaks”, or similar . . . you will find these discussions.

There are various temporary fixes, but the permanent solution is to change out the soft hose for Pex tube. The brass barbed hose fitting and a hose clamp would be correct for the hose attachments, but will not fit the Pex tubing.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

This seems to be a widespread issue. Why does Grand Design continue to use the braided soft hose if there's so many problems with it?
      2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax 3310LB Payload
      2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

Comment

Originally posted by RobWNY View Post
        This seems to be a widespread issue. Why does Grand Design continue to use the braided soft hose if there's so many problems with it?
        From another recent discussion . . .
        I don't foresee Grand Design or any other towable RV manufacturer going to all Pex. If anything, they seem to be going the other way. Soft hose expedites connections at assembly and that is very important to the manufacturing process. They all build to their "industry standards" as set by RVIA and this "regulatory body" allows the use of soft hose. RVIA allows a lot of other things which is why we have to deal with the rat's nests of wiring and plumbing throughout the trailer . . . but, I digress.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Imagine_Nation, here is the thread discussing the issue.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...oft-hose-leaks

Especially review Rob's presentation that Howson included. It pretty clearly shows the problem.

We're in the same boat as you and only a few weeks behind. We're picking up our 2021 2600RB first week of April and already plan to address this. Pretty bad that they leave the factory this way but we're hoping to be happy campers despite this.

Joe
          Sailor_Joe, 2021 imagine 2600RB, 2017 Ford F-150, XLT super crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow.

Comment

Stay positive Joe. We looked for 1-1/2 years before deciding on Grand Design based on quality and reputation for customer service. We are long time RVers and were not expecting a trouble free experience. I was just hoping to get out of the driveway before making my first repair :-). April will be here before you know it. Have fun!!
            Guy and Ginger Lauziere
            2021 Imagine 2600RB

Comment

I think my previous unit was all PEX. Not the crimps that leaked, but the fittings were hand tight and it never seemed to fail that the sink would drip and find its way to the floor by the island.

It seems like GD could figure out the plumbing thing like auto MFG do wiring harnesses. OH YEAH, the RVIA is owned and maintained by the RV industry (from what I understand) and they made the rules to fit what they want.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

From another recent discussion . . .
                I don't foresee Grand Design or any other towable RV manufacturer going to all Pex. If anything, they seem to be going the other way. Soft hose expedites connections at assembly and that is very important to the manufacturing process. They all build to their "industry standards" as set by RVIA and this "regulatory body" allows the use of soft hose. RVIA allows a lot of other things which is why we have to deal with the rat's nests of wiring and plumbing throughout the trailer . . . but, I digress.

Rob
                Thanks for the explanation Rob. I understand now why they do it but with so many failures, you would think they might re-evaluate their thoughts on this.
                2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax 3310LB Payload
                2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

Comment

Originally posted by Imagine_Nation View Post
                  There are two tees for the hot and cold shown in the attached picture that have 4 separate leaks out of the 6 connections. The plumbing is similar to Pex with crimp rings holding the pipe on to the fitting. I can literally twist the pipes by hand which shows how loose the pipes are.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0356.JPG
Views:	808
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	46255

Thanks for the encouragement Guy and Ginger. Can you tell me where these tees are located? I'd like to swap out either the connection or the hoses so it would be great to know where to find them. Any others you've encountered would be great to know where there are too :-)

We don't expect things to be trouble free at all. I'll enjoy the troubleshooting, at least initially :-)

Joe
                  Sailor_Joe, 2021 imagine 2600RB, 2017 Ford F-150, XLT super crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow.

Comment

Sailor_Joe Hang tough buddy! I am learning more, and at a faster rate than (at one year on ownership) than I did with our Thor class C. Definantly not to say that the quality is less, but simply that I found this forum very early on, and this rig is much more complex. Finding this forum gave me the motivation (along with 2 broken ribs) to explore the forum further and as such the time and ability to explore the innards of our home. I have one piece of soft hose remaining and that is for the black tank flush line. Every unit shipping from Elkhart has the ill fitting soft hoses.
                    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                    Nash County, NC
                    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Sailor_Joe

Finally were able to get on the road and just got to my email. Those tees are on the passenger side just about 12” aft of the outside gas outlet. I had to take out enough belly matt screws to be able to reach my hands up there to work on them. I used a dremel tool with a cutting wheel to cut through the take up loop on the stainless pex crimp rings. I only did this at the soft braided hose connections. After removing them, I pulled the soft hose off, slid on standard hose clamp, applied small amount of silicone over fitting barbs, and reinstalled soft hose secured hose clamp.
                      Guy and Ginger Lauziere
                      2021 Imagine 2600RB

Comment

Working...
                      X