No announcement yet.

Rear Kitchen Sink smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a thought - check the outside vent well. Wasps love mine as it is fully protected. They build thier nest way up inside around the pipe connection. I plan at some point to put a screen on mine. Also they build nest in the roof black tank vent cap.
    Hope this helps
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

slk8385 and Yoda,
      If the vent was blocked the symptom would be a "burping" sink, since for the liquid to drain the air in the tank has to go somewhere. That's not the symptom.

Either the "P" trap is not sealing all the way when filled with water or the drain pipe going into the tank is not sealed. I fail to see how odors can emanate from the tank up into the interior any other way.

The only other possibility I can think of is the smell is coming from the vent and then, due to air currents, is making it's way back into the camper through an open window or some other avenue.

Cate&Rob ... what am I missing?
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

One thing that could also be causing the problem is a bad AAV. If the AAV is suck closed it will allow all of the water to be pulled out of the trap, which then allows the sewer gas smell to back flow into the compartment. The Vent line is most likely only connected to the tank, and with a slight breeze, it could be driving the smell back into the compartment amplifying the smell.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2 -- unless the drawing is wrong the 2250RK doesn't have an AAV in the kitchen. That's an interesting difference as my 315RLTS has one and I checked a different Imagine's drawing (the 2970) and it has an AAV noted, too.

slk8385 -- can you take a picture of the plumbing under the sink and post it, please?
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Howard, that may be the problem. It may need an AAV to keep from emptying the trap.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

howson see attached pics. Still not sure about this, but certainly appreciate all thoughts and feedback. The outside vent (identified in last years pictures) doesn’t appear to be clogged or with wasps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	700C61E7-363A-4CFC-BE3E-CF0ABCA68220.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	81308

Comment

slk8385

Is there a roof vent directly above this sink? In your picture, it looks like the drain pipe going up to the left might connect to a common drain & vent stack. This would eliminate the need for an AAV. (I don't see an AAV in the picture)

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob -- I don't think so. The 2250RK's vent goes out the back wall which I think is the perspective of the picture. Take a look at the drawing--the tank is straight down from where the "T" goes to the back vent.

The engineered barrier to smell coming from the tank is the water in the trap. If the water isn't there...smell. The only other options I can think of are a failed seal between the drain tube and the tank or odor coming from the vent making it's way back into the trailer due to air currents.

Comment

Thank you all. To confirm, the vent does go out the back wall and thus no-need for the AAV.
                    I have made sure that water resides in the p-trap, and still get the smell. I’m now wondering if the height of the drain pipe is causing the p-trap to empty out.

I’ve got to take the TT in for a recall, so will get the service center to check it out.

THANK YOU again for the ideas and insights.

Comment

Working...
                    X