shutoff valves on freshwater tank overflow - plastic no-tool sharkbite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shutoff valves on freshwater tank overflow - plastic no-tool sharkbite

I've followed the threads in here about different methods of making sure you don't lose 1/4 of your freshwater while driving into the mountain. The most simple is the "put a shutoff on the overflow" but that carries some risk. This has lead to some of the more elegant raised venting methods outlined in here. My long term plan is to set up the raised vending method.

Last edited by jlackman; 08-24-2021, 04:54 PM.
    2121 Momentum 31G towed by 2017 Ford F-250 SuperDuty / Gale Banks

That valve looks like a good alternative to the metals ones I used for the low point drains (that are showing signs of corrosion).

Consider putting reminder stickers next to the pump switches. (I put a red V? sticker next to the switch on the Convenience Panel and the Nautilus Panel to remind myself about the valve.)
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      That valve looks like a good alternative to the metals ones I used for the low point drains (that are showing signs of corrosion).

Consider putting reminder stickers next to the pump switches. (I put a red V? sticker next to the switch on the Convenience Panel and the Nautilus Panel to remind myself about the valve.)
      Yeah I'm going to have a "remove before takeoff" type reminder in the Panel. And then I also have a pretty reliable reminder system (the Wife).... These plastic ones look pretty slick; it's not some cheap piece, its' solid and smooth operating, and can be removed without tools.
      Last edited by jlackman; 03-27-2021, 11:14 PM. Reason: edit typo

Comment

I have a similar valve from " John Guest " I do not remember if that name is right. I am glad to see this type available from the store. I also put them on the low point drain. Thanks for the tip.

Brian
        Last edited by Country Campers; 03-28-2021, 05:26 PM. Reason: Fixed name of valve
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Do you have to buy the whole jar of fittings or does HD sell them individually?
          2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax 3310LB Payload
          2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

Comment

The valve I use is brass and stainless steel. Ball valves should last and Sharkbite fittings install in seconds.

Jim
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RobWNY View Post
              The brass valves are available from HD. For the plastic valves the OP shows, I would like to install these on my low point drain lines.

Jim

Comment

I ordered 2 sets (total 4) as they come in a 2 pack. 2 for the low point drains and 1 for the fresh tank. The other ones mentioned are about 21 each vs 27 for a 2 pack from HD. Order more than 49 and you free home shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/JG-ProLock-PS...74MFVNT5&psc=1

vs

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBit...30b63c6171adb9
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

If folks don't mind, I'd like to ask. Our Imagine has the gravity fill port. Do I need to address this in ours or is this limited to other models? Thanks in advance.
                  Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
                  TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

Originally posted by BobinICT View Post
                    If folks don't mind, I'd like to ask. Our Imagine has the gravity fill port. Do I need to address this in ours or is this limited to other models? Thanks in advance.
                    It involves the Imagine as well. Your gravity fill vent most likely is not connected and can be seen by looking under the kitchen cabinet to see the back side of the gravity fill.

With the gravity fill I have not seen the siphoning issue but the slosh while traveling will still cost you about 10 gallons of water, depending on distance traveled.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by RobWNY View Post
                      I've seen them individually online but they are very hard to find. There are two in the jar, which works out great for me because of the two drains.

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                        I ordered 2 sets (total 4) as they come in a 2 pack. 2 for the low point drains and 1 for the fresh tank. The other ones mentioned are about 21 each vs 27 for a 2 pack from HD. Order more than 49 and you free home shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/JG-ProLock-PS...74MFVNT5&psc=1

vs

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBit...30b63c6171adb9
                        I guess I should have got two for the low point drains but since this is my first year owning for decades, I have not done a winterize yet so I didn't think of that.

Comment

jlackman This is my 3rd unit. First was a 2014 with caps, draining the lines SUCKED, always had to keep up with the caps and gaskets. 2nd unit was a POS 2019 and it had valves on the low points and tank. Much nicer since no caps to worry about loosing, especially when the fresh tank took hours to drain. Was a bit surprised to not have valves on the low point drains on this unit, one would think GD would have added the valves to the drains as they are faster than the pex to NPT adapters and having to install those pesky plastic plugs. Cate&Rob Might suggest that to GD since you are the resident plumbing guru here. BTW thats a nice job on replacing all the lines in your unit.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                            The valve I use is brass and stainless steel. Ball valves should last and Sharkbite fittings install in seconds.

Jim
                            Looks like we both purchased the same valve but I opted to install a mesh type drain plug to deter creepy crawlies from making a nest in the pipe....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Xnip2021-03-28_22-35-45.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	48245
                            Attached Files
                            Jeff and Debbie
                            2021 Imagine 2250RK
                            2015 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Crew Cab Short Bed Factory Air-Ride Auto Level
                            USMC Veteran

Comment

Heavysledz Jeff,

Nice addition. I'll add these to my next order.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X