Black tank question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black tank question

How do you all handle the black tank after you drain and flush, Do you put a couple gallons of water in and chemicals and store to the next time you use it or do you just drain the tanks and add water and chemical's next time in use
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
    Anderson ultimate hitch

What I do is after the tank is drained and after using the black tank flush I run about 10 gallons or so of fresh water in the tank and leave it until the next trip ,occasionally thru the year we add a little dawn dish soap. The extra water in the tank will slosh around a bit while traveling and loosen up any stuck on debris and it also gives the black tank a starting point for use. There is not much water that goes in the tank when flushing the toilet.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

so just add some water no chems?
      2021 Reflection 303RLS
      Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

If its stored and smell starts, then worry about using chems. There are some BIO chems out there now that are not so bad. I picked up and am going to try: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 if smell starts. First going to try it without chems other than Dawn to keep the sensors clean.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

I have Happy Camper that I bought
          2021 Reflection 303RLS
          Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

We are into our 4th year with this RV and have not added any chemicals outside of the dish soap. We have not had any odors.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

We are extended weekend warriors. After a drain and flush, I typically add several gallons of water and a scoop of Happy Campers before dropping off at the storage lot. We have not had any issues with this and have been very pleased since switching to Happy Campers.
              Jason & Kim
              Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
              2021 Imagine 2970RL
              2016 Ford F250

Comment

thank you all
                2021 Reflection 303RLS
                Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

At the national rally a couple years ago there was a guy there doing an cleaning with a pressure washer. He did a seminar on tank maintenance and the summary was no chemicals should be needed, and if you wanted something he’s got a mix of water softener bead’s and pine sol he recommends. I’ll put his recipe below. The company is Kleen Tank I mix up a few gallons of that every year and use it, I’ve been happy. The most important thing is use a ton of water. I try to fill the bowl pretty much every time I flush solids down.

If you want to use a tank additive, we recommend the following:
                  • Use a clean, empty one-gallon plastic jug or bottle
                  • Measure 40 ounces of Pine-Sol (or similar pine oil cleaner) into the jug or bottle
                  • Add eight ounces of Calgon bath powder, liquid, or bath beads to the jug or bottle
                  • Slowly add water to the jug or bottle. The contents will foam, so be patient.
                  • Put the cap on the jug or bottle and shake
                  • Every time you’ve emptied your holding tanks, add 1/2 cup of this solution (to both tanks)

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Dennis66

x2 on the advice from Brian Country Campers. If you leave a generous amount of water (10 gallons) in the tank and perhaps a little dish soap, you will not need additive concoctions. Anything that would create odours will be diluted and submerged . . . and if there are odours, these will go up the vent stack.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis66 View Post
                      How do you all handle the black tank after you drain and flush, Do you put a couple gallons of water in and chemicals and store to the next time you use it or do you just drain the tanks and add water and chemical's next time in use
                      All the advice here is good where we just use AquaKem. At the campground, I drain and flush with the black tank flush. After we get home I flush the tank again with the black tank flush then follow up with about 3 gallons of water and AquaKem. So far my sensors work as good as they did when new after 5 seasons. I believe the key no matter what method you use is to never let the tank dry out.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis66 View Post
                        If it is going to be a while before the next trip I just empty and clean. If I am home I may leave the drain valve open for air to circulate through the tank and dry it. Then before the next trip I add 5 gallons of water and 1 CUP Dawn dish soap. Never had a problem with sensors or smell. Some folks with build up issues add a Tied pod to the mix and drive around to stir up the pile. Save your $$$$ as all the fancy chemicals are a waste of money in my mind.
                        Safe Travels
                        Keith
                        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

all great tips
                          2021 Reflection 303RLS
                          Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Working...
                          X