Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dump Waste Tanks using a Flojet into a Rhino 36G Tote (Process)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dump Waste Tanks using a Flojet into a Rhino 36G Tote (Process)

8 Apr edit: As usual with my projects I've learned more since initially putting the post below together. Please make sure and read the entire thread to understand the evolution of this process. When I have the final details hammered out I'll update the video to include the final process.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First question is always why?

What I discovered during my first boondocking experience (where I had to dump) was that there are multiple points of failure in my former process. Let's just say I got to spend a few hours of quality time cleaning after-the-fact...

The new setup will allow the most flexibility to dump in almost any situation.

As all current or former USAF service members know, flexibility is the key to air power. That has nothing to do with anything other than I like to repeat that tenet because it's true and it sounds cool.

The video below was made primarily for myself as a "this is how you do this" reminder, but I thought someone might find it informative. I'm dressed in my best "get 'er done" clothes and hat, so brace yourself.

As noted in the video, I want to acknowledge Cate&Rob and ncitro as this process was mostly "stolen" from their inputs. (Thanks, guys!)

What I don't mention in the video is the LoadAll ramp you'll see. That ramp's primary purpose is to facilitate the loading and unloading of a motorcycle, but it does come in handy for a multitude of tasks.

If you decide to buy a Flojet, I suggest bypassing Amazon. The one I received was used. (Yuck.) It was returned immediately. I reordered from Walmart (fulfilled by 4WheelOnline).

Click image for larger version  Name:	Flojet.JPG Views:	48 Size:	12.4 KB ID:	49618

Some may also spot I've modified the Rhino 36 gallon, 4-wheel tote. More on that in another post with information on where and how I store the tote. (Still working on that project so it will be a few days.)

One more note: there are "tow police" on RV forums and there are also "sanitation police". Please--if you want to discuss the use of gloves with the sanitation process start your own thread. Let's not discuss it here, OK? (I do wear disposable gloves when dumping real waste at a park or dump station.)

Unlisted video on YouTube (posted for forum members):

As always, I appreciate and welcome constructive criticism and/or questions.

Howard
    Last edited by howson; 04-08-2021, 05:36 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Looking good Howard, pretty close to my process, I think you’ll be happy. I like the vented cap, my barker does not have that. I take the 3” cap off for venting while filling from a garden hose.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Hi Howard,

Great video! A lot of "pieces to this puzzle" but it definitely beats hooking up the trailer and towing to the dump site and then returning to your campsite. We have only ever had to use ours for grey water . . . which is likely to be the situation for most who will consider using a system such as this. Lots of opportunities for cross contamination (as you note in the video) so, having the entire process thought out ahead of time is a good idea.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I can’t remember if you have a plan for the other end of this equation, but I have an equally convoluted system for getting water into the rig when boondocking. I use a soft “bag” that holds 60 gallons, and a fresh water pump I bought and put hose adapters on. It plugs into the Andersen connector and I pump it into the fresh tank. Usually what I do is throw the bag in the truck, transfer the grey, go to the dump station or facility (sometimes the water treatment plant has an rv dump and water fill), dump the grey, fill the bag and return to the rig to transfer water into the rig. It’sa vicious cycle lol.

Water Storage Tank - Bladder - Bag - AQUATANK2 Stores Water For Your Emergency Water Supply - It Is a Light-Weight and Portable Water Container, Food-Grade Material, no BPAs (60 Gallon) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ONFDEM...YRC9VBSS?psc=1

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Howard,

You always come up with some very cool and knowledgeable information.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
            Howard,

You always come up with some very cool and knowledgeable information.

Jim
            Nah, I'm just decent at reading, watching, and then copying what others do and making it work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Nah, I'm just decent at reading, watching, and then copying what others do and making it work for me.
              Just to add another twist to the dump situation. I added front wheels on my Rhino (home brew pictured but have since bought Camco's new front wheels) and use my bicycle to travel to the dump station. Gravity dump the trailer, ride to the dump station and gravity dump there. Just mind those downhills a bit when towing 250 pounds of wastewater. 😛
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200831_120410_copy_1008x756.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	371.9 KB
ID:	49743
              Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
              2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
              2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Comment

howson The antisiphon valve is a good idea, but just turn off the valve. I know from trailer living during Harvey aftermath that the flowjet pump will push through 150ft of unkinked 1/2" hose.

I suggest you move your female to female adapter to the pump and reverse the quick connect to avoid possibly confusing the dedicated fresh water to pump line with the nasty line.

I've not had time to watch the full video, but will continue watching later today.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                  howson The antisiphon valve is a good idea, but just turn off the valve. I know from trailer living during Harvey aftermath that the flowjet pump will push through 150ft of unkinked 1/2" hose.
                  Beat me to it. I just sat down to write out the same thing about the anti-siphon (a-s) valve

When I tried it and pressure was removed from the feed side (as if the FloJet had pushed through all the water) the reverse pressure from the water in the hose spit out the sides of the a-s valve. Not good if this was nasty water and I was at a campground. Honestly I didn't understand the difference between a check valve versus an a-s valve. Now I do.

Name:	Backflow.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	49753

So what about a check valve you may wonder? Using a check valve in the line, like what's used on the hot water heater, is IMHO asking for problems due to all the "stuff" that, even though macerated, will undoubtedly clog the valve.

Name:	Check Valve Interior.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	49754

So the answer is to shut off the valve on the hose first then almost simultaneously turn off the FloJet. No backflow from the hose to worry about.

Hmmm...my overactive imagination (aka the "Good Idea Fairy") just tapped me on the shoulder.

Name:	GIF.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	49755

What this harbinger of creativity and chaos has suggested is a "T" with two shutoff valves at the FloJet. One for the waste hose and one for the Water Bandit / vacuum (blower) connection. That way I can clear out the waste line without disconnecting it. I'll have to try that.

I'll do another attempt at the process and update the video accordingly.

Thanks for the post. (I'll answer the second part of your input in a subsequent answer.)

Comment

Originally posted by trkester View Post

Just mind those downhills a bit when towing 250 pounds of wastewater. 😛
                    LOL! Now we need a plan for brakes on the tote . . .

Rob

Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                      I suggest you move your female to female adapter to the pump and reverse the quick connect to avoid possibly confusing the dedicated fresh water to pump line with the nasty line.
                      I took it a step further--I cut off the male end of the stinky water hose and patched in a female. It will only connect (without an adapter) to the male end on the tote.

I also bought the swivel adapter at Home Depot today and put that on, so it's much cleaner now than the original setup.

Buying a red hose was intentional, too. It is the only red hose I have with me--between the "wrong" end and the color I hope that makes it Howard-proof enough to not use the stinky hose with a fresh water connection.

YESTERDAY'S CONFIGURATION

Click image for larger version  Name:	Yesterday.JPG Views:	0 Size:	121.7 KB ID:	49769

TODAY'S CONFIGURATION

Click image for larger version  Name:	Adapter and Hose.JPG Views:	0 Size:	220.5 KB ID:	49768

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                        LOL! Now we need a plan for brakes on the tote . . .
                        In all seriousness...you're actually right--that stupid thing rolls away on any slant.

What do you think, disc or drum?

Comment

howson
                          Howard . . . Fran is going to have to follow you in another truck (maybe with another trailer) . . . just to carry all this "extra" stuff !

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

In all seriousness...you're actually right--that stupid thing rolls away on any slant.

What do you think, disc or drum?
                            Disc would be best. Just in case I'm toting in the rain. 😜
                            Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
                            2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
                            2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Comment

Buying a red hose was intentional, too. It is the only red hose I have with me--between the "wrong" end and the color I hope that makes it Howard-proof enough to not use the stinky hose with a fresh water connection.
                              I really like the idea of a different color hose! I know its not technically necessary but I have a separate hose for my black tank flush as well.

Jim
                              Last edited by howson; 04-08-2021, 06:37 PM. Reason: Trimmed quote...

Comment

Working...
                              X