Sanitizing lines after de-winterization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanitizing lines after de-winterization

Noob question here. Had a lady mention after flushing anti-freeze to fill the fresh tank with bleach (calculation was given for a set amount of bleach per 15 gallons that I do not recall), then turn on the pump, turn on faucets until you smell bleach...then turn off. Wait 30 minutes....than flush bleach all out and dump fresh?

I have never heard this before...is there any real need to do this? If so, when? How often? How much bleach? How should it be gone about?
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

See my post https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...itizing-system The 5 gallons I made was enough to sanitize roughly 80 gallons of water. The concentration is really small, but even then that concentration gets diluted even faster as its XX ounces of bleach per gallon that treats YY gallons of water.

The ratio is listed in the GD manual under sanitization.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...owners-manuals

Check out page 99 of the current Image manual.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

It's a 1/4 cup of bleach per 15 gallons of water. After you run it through the lines, let it sit for 3-4 hours. Then flush everything with fresh water.
      2018 Reflection 315RLTS
      2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Comment

As a reminder, do not use splash-free bleach. It is not for sanitizing.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by bellis View Post
          Noob question here. Had a lady mention after flushing anti-freeze to fill the fresh tank with bleach (calculation was given for a set amount of bleach per 15 gallons that I do not recall), then turn on the pump, turn on faucets until you smell bleach...then turn off. Wait 30 minutes....than flush bleach all out and dump fresh?

I have never heard this before...is there any real need to do this? If so, when? How often? How much bleach? How should it be gone about?
          The easiest way I have found to get the bleach into the trailer is use the power fill and add the bleach you (I add a little extra) need for a full fresh water tank. I add the bleach to the feed line at the water source. I use a small funnel and pour it in the hose then connect up. This way your fill hose gets sanitized too. Once the tank is full I shut off power fill, release pressure, change setting to dry camping and fill the lines. I also fill the hot water heater (some folks don't) to be sure the feed line from the Nautilus panel gets treated. Once all the lines are full, I again release pressure and top off the fresh water tank using the power fill again. That's what the extra bleach is for. Its import to release pressure before changing the settings at the Nautilus panel.

I let the unit set overnight, drain everything, refill the fresh water tank, and first use the pump to flush the lines (gets the bleach out of the pump and feed line). I drain again and the second flush is with city water set up. I do the last flush about an hour later. Doing the several flushes works good to remove any big trace of chlorine.
          Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

What Yoda said.
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Having worked public water utility for 18 years I agree with Yoda. Contact time with the chlorine is the key to killing all the little nasties that could be in the pipes. This is especially true if you're on well water.
              John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
              2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
              ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
              2017 Jayco 26BH
              2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

Originally posted by bellis View Post

Is there any real need to do this . . . a very good question ! A lot depends on where you fill up with water and how you use the water.

Nothing bad is likely to grow over the winter in your antifreeze. "City" water usually comes with enough chlorine to keep it bacteria free. The big question is . . . do you drink the water from your tanks? The second important question is do you travel from campground to campground, filling up with unknown water?

We never drink the water from our tank . . . because we travel campground to campground and never know the quality of the water. So, sanitizing the tank is a waste of time for us. Connecting to a poor quality campground water supply will quickly undo you sanitizing efforts. The only situation (that I can think of) where sanitizing the tank and water system makes sense is if you boon dock with a tank of known quality untreated well water and plan to drink it.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Is there any real need to do this . . . a very good question ! A lot depends on where you fill up with water and how you use the water.

Nothing bad is likely to grow over the winter in your antifreeze. "City" water usually comes with enough chlorine to keep it bacteria free. The big question is . . . do you drink the water from your tanks? The second important question is do you travel from campground to campground, filling up with unknown water?

We never drink the water from our tank . . . because we travel campground to campground and never know the quality of the water. So, sanitizing the tank is a waste of time for us. Connecting to a poor quality campground water supply will quickly undo you sanitizing efforts. The only situation (that I can think of) where sanitizing the tank and water system makes sense is if you boon dock with a tank of known quality untreated well water and plan to drink it.

Rob
                  Thanks all - that really helps. We have been campground to campground lately....but we typically do not drink the water from the fresh tank. We do use a filter at each campground or each fill up....but we have some of the best water in the country in WV and not knowing the quality at various places means we tend to bring bottled.

May still be a good idea at some point....but if we aren't drinking it seems like less of a concern.
                  2020 Imagine 2400BH
                  2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Water Quality . . .

I mentioned this in a related thread . . . https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ter-heater-hwh

We travel with two "water quality inspectors". At a new campground, I will put down a bowl of campground water. At least 1/3 of the time. . . Molly and Angel won't touch it. We avoid connecting to those water sources.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	Molly & Angel.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	51452
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Just do not de-winterize until May if your in Michigan. The 75 degree weather a week ago convinced me to do otherwise. Heat was on last night and again tonight due to sub-freezing conditions.

Same as other folks have done, I used a 1/4 cup of bleach for every 5 gallons of water and let it sit for several hours before flushing.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                      X