Installing Tankless Hot Water Heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Tankless Hot Water Heater

I have a 2021 Xplor 260RB with a 6 gallon hot water heater under the dinette bench seat. I have still not had a complete shower where I still have hot water at the end of my shower. Has anyone replaced the 6 gallon with a tankless heater under the bench seat? If so, what brand and model did you use, how difficult was it to install, and are you satisfied with the tankless water output? And any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by stooge40 View Post
    I have a 2021 Xplor 260RB with a 6 gallon hot water heater under the dinette bench seat. I have still not had a complete shower where I still have hot water at the end of my shower. Has anyone replaced the 6 gallon with a tankless heater under the bench seat? If so, what brand and model did you use, how difficult was it to install, and are you satisfied with the tankless water output? And any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    This may sound like an intrusive question...but it's relevant....how long are your showers? There is a limit to how long a 6 gallon tank will last. Frankly, I haven't read many favorable reports about the tankless heaters. My DW likes her shower, so if the tankless was a good option I'd have done it a long time ago.

The only other advice I can offer is to turn on both the propane and the electric for the water heater when showering (if your trailer has that option). Having both heat sources on at the same time is perfectly fine and will heat the water the quickest.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

You may want to check your outside shower and make sure that the valves are closed as that can cause it to seem like you are running out of hot water. Last night is the first time that I have taken a really long shower and I still had hot water. It's not uncommon for us to take back to back showers and still have hot water.
      Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
      Nash County, NC
      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I haven't read many favorable reports about the tankless heaters. My DW likes her shower, so if the tankless was a good option I'd have done it a long time ago.

Howard
        What about the Truma AquaGo Comfort? https://truma.net/water-systems/truma-aquago-comfort

Looks like it has a small tank to store some hot water, and the benefits of a tankless heater. I've not seen anything negative about this water heater.
        Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
        2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
        2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

stooge40
          You might want to measure the temperature of the hot water coming out of a faucet, to make sure that it is up to expected temperature. Is it possible that you water heater bypass is partially open?

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmer View Post

What about the Truma AquaGo Comfort? https://truma.net/water-systems/truma-aquago-comfort

Looks like it has a small tank to store some hot water, and the benefits of a tankless heater. I've not seen anything negative about this water heater.
            This is my vote. We’re actually at Truma as we speak. We picked up our rig from the factory service center this afternoon and brought it over to Truma for an install tomorrow morning. I too had heard most were garbage, but good things about the Truma and I like that it stores a small amount which solves the issue of low flow cases like dishes when boondocking. We got by pretty good on the six gallon, but of my wife needs to shave it gets dicey, and it’s tough with baths for my two year old son so I decided to give it a go. Only down side (other tag the cost) is they don’t let you purchase and install yourself, so you need to have a dealer install it. Since we were in Elkhart anyway I decided to get it done. I’ll let you all know how it goes but from all the research I did and video’s I watched I’ve got high hopes.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

stooge40, whatever you do, stay away (run, don't walk) from the Girard. That thing is more of an water anti-heater. It had an overly sensitive flow valve which needed to see an output higher than the shower head (all four of the ones I installed) could provide. Had to also turn on the hot water at the bath vanity to keep the flow up. Not enough flow would shut down the burner, and then would only output cold. "Working as designed" was the story repeatedly from the shop. Not acceptable was the story from me. Owned one on a previous motorhome; it was one of the reasons we sold it after only 7 months from new. If I were to do it, I would go Truma. The biggest downside is that they are propane only, except I think the Truma uses electricity to keep the small tank (like two quarts) of water hot.
              Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
              2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
              2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
              2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
              Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                We got by pretty good on the six gallon, but of my wife needs to shave it gets dicey, and it’s tough with baths for my two year old son so I decided to give it a go.
                You are hereby forbidden from talking to, or even hinting about, the Truma if/when you meet my DW. This applies to your DW talking to mine, too!

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

First outing in the 303 with the furrion is next weekend. Will let you know how I like it.

Howard, can we all get the DW's email address so we can give her updates on the tankless HWH findings.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

You are hereby forbidden from talking to, or even hinting about, the Truma if/when you meet my DW. This applies to your DW talking to mine, too!
                    Lol I shall make no such promise lol.

Neil Citro

Comment

stooge40 While not specific to your unit, this thread may provide some food for thought: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...all-in-a-390rk
                      John
                      2018 Momentum 395M
                      2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                      Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Install is in and done. Headed home from Elkhart now but I’ll post some more details tonight. Seems like as promised. Was a bit tricky because my water heater is located almost directly next to the furnace so he had to do some adjustment with the cover, but he noticed it right away and had a plan. It’s a gorgeous shop, they’ve only been there since October of 2019 and it was immaculate. I made it easy for them as I had a pull wire in place from my control panel down to the basement. Let me hang out while they did the install. Really nice folk’s and did a quality job. Time will tell of course but I’m really happy.

Neil Citro

Comment

Neil

Please save the old tank heater , never know when it may be needed.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                            Neil

Please save the old tank heater , never know when it may be needed.

Brian
                            Oh I did for sure. My father in law has the same one so I figured parts if nothing else, but I was also thinking I should be able to reinstall it and move the Truma to my some day Solitude.

Neil Citro

Comment

Neil ncitro - as with the OPs question, I think a number of us will be interested in your feedback in the future relative to performance, challenges, etc. Good to hear about the quality of the new shop and positive experience.

Dan
                              Dan & Carol
                              2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                              2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Working...
                              X